Pirates of the Carribean: At the boring end

It’s the final of the triology and the group is back together to find Jack Sparrow. Let me save you the money, they find him and in the process, lose the common sense it takes to make a good ending.

POC3 is boring and messy. Several plot points culminating into the required final 20 mintues of CGI fighting.

Umm, that’s about it without spoiling it over all.

I have difficulty understanding the popularity of this series. Johnny Depp’s character didn’t amuse me and the story-line is just dumb. Admittedly, some cool visuals, and anything involving sailing ships, tropical isles and pirates can’t be ALL bad. Still, I began forgetting both the first and second movies as soon as the credits started rolling.

We just have different cinematic tastes then. This movie is freakin’ hilarious! It’s slow in the beginning because of all the exposition, but it definitely picks up steam and delivers the goods. It’s got tons of laughs, manages to spend time with the various characters and drop dead gorgeous locations. It delivers everything I could want from a summer movie.

:unamused: Yes, it is freakin’ hilarious-NOT. It was a confusing mess, no defined main character or plot point which led to 50,000 sub-plot points. A film school grad could have come up with something better, and not be paid for it.

I’m sorry… but I watched it yesterday and it was great. Namahottie, did you watch the first 2? It really helps, as the plots all tie together. IMHO, Pirates 3 is the best of the trilogy, with lots of good laughs along the way… though admittedly, that ‘special ending’ at the end of the credits really sucked~

btw. there’s word out about a 4 and maybe 5 coming… Depp himself has said he doesn’t wanna give up the character of Sparrow yet…

[quote=“Namahottie”]
:unamused: Yes, it is freakin’ hilarious-NOT. It was a confusing mess, no defined main character or plot point which led to 50,000 sub-plot points. A film school grad could have come up with something better, and not be paid for it.[/quote]
Sheesh! What made you such a movie grinch? Did the cool kids not let you sit at their table in high school so you take out your pent up bitter aggression on popular movies you don’t like? :laughing: Lemme guess, you think ninjas are better than pirates don’t you? Why the rage?

[quote=“naijeru”][quote=“Namahottie”]
:unamused: Yes, it is freakin’ hilarious-NOT. It was a confusing mess, no defined main character or plot point which led to 50,000 sub-plot points. A film school grad could have come up with something better, and not be paid for it.[/quote]
Sheesh! What made you such a movie grinch? Did the cool kids not let you sit at their table in high school so you take out your pent up bitter aggression on popular movies you don’t like? :laughing: Lemme guess, you think ninjas are better than pirates don’t you? Why the rage?[/quote]

No the cool kids did not let me sit at their table, hence why I went off to film school and was quite good at it. :wink: :s

I’m not a movie grinch. I loved the first two and felt that the 2nd one was better. But this one sucked. That’s my story and I’m sticking to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

NamaX :beatnik:

I love it,too.
I watched it on Saturday’s night.
It is really good.

Well worth seeing. Without giving anything away, I wish I could have seen more of our “Singaporean” pirate friend. Got good reviews from the NYTimes, which is pretty highbrow publication. If the underpaid reviewers at the NYTimes thought it wasnt “too messy” than it probably wasn’t. :rainbow:

Oh how the movie could have done without our Singaporean friend. Not necessary to the over plot of the story-which is about Jack getting the Black Pearl back and undoing the British power.

No, not neccessary… but then I suppose “Ms. Swan” would have gotten her ‘promotion’ for absoloutely no reason then… (trying not to spoil the plot)

oh no wait… well… Jack should just mysteriously tie turtles to his feet again to escape from his new home…just walk up, light some dynamite to blow up jones’ heart and that’s the end of the movie…

5 minutes of screen time, and I just saved a hell of a lot on production costs…

Is this one of the politics fora?

:wink:

[quote=“Namahottie”]
Oh how the movie could have done without our Singaporean friend. Not necessary to the over plot of the story-which is about Jack getting the Black Pearl back and undoing the British power.[/quote]
Agreed. His whole story was a waste and could have gotten to the point in far less time. The kung-fu twins are a perfect example of this. Why introduce a revenge plot with one of them getting killed only to see the villian off the other one moments later? I feared the worst seeing this part; at least it got better once they got on ships.

quote=“naijeru”]at least it got better once they got on ships.[/quote]

I better that’s what the director was thinking.

“Script sucks, no time to change it because of the 67 day shooting schedule and Johnny has to be in London next week to begin principal shooting on another film(and I won’t be able to any reshoots for the next 4 weeks) and Bruckheimer(sp!) is on his 5th espresso and ranting about more explosions(wanker). Ah! I know, have them do multiple shots of Johnny and CGI the fucker.”

:unamused:

Tigerman-I read somewhere that they were trying to make some political comment. I heard one line.

While the plot may not have needed him, it’s pretty easy to see why he was included:

As pretty as the stars were in this film, there’s no way this film could have made 400 million bucks in six days without an Asian star in it.

[quote]The New York Times
More than ever Hollywood has learned to tweak its blockbuster formula to favor the rising influence of the international market, which is now responsible for more than half of annual box office revenues, according to the Motion Picture Association of America.

[/quote]

It’s a summer popcorn movie - eye candy served up with aircon. Chow Yun-Fat got prime cuts in all the advertising here, and was brilliant marketing to shoehorn him in there. If you’re looking for something deep don’t bother digging into the final episode of a Disney trilogy based on an amusement park ride :slight_smile:

Yes, but with talk of a 4th on the way, don’t be surprised if some of the plot starters from this one are utilised as the storyline for the next~

Nah, after the third one you usually make a prequel or three first.

Looks like Johnny might be back, though…

[quote]“Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End” hardly marks an end.

With the latest in Walt Disney Co.'s lucrative series reaping an unprecedented $401 million globally in its debut through the Memorial Day weekend, the question of whether there will be a fourth installment has effectively been answered.

Sure, producer Jerry Bruckheimer is coy, saying he and his mates need a break. But he already has rights to a book that could end up as another installment.

Star Johnny Depp? He hasn’t promised another voyage, but he clearly loves the flamboyant, irreverent Jack Sparrow character, telling one interviewer: “As long as you’re doing it for the right reasons, why not?”

In today’s Hollywood, blockbuster franchises function almost as independent corporations that, once up and running, can’t easily be mothballed. Which is why another “Pirates” is pretty much a given.[/quote]

I am guessing that “the right reasons” means buckets of cash and the chance to wear plenty of eyeliner.

looks like pirates is set to break box office records in the US and Taiwan, would be curious as to when it gets to china and how it will do there. :rainbow:

spot on :notworthy: