Pizza places to avoid? Greater Taipei

Disclaimer: I judge a pizza place by their Margherita.

I’ve been disappointed by Gusto’s - tried them twice just because of the high ratings but their tomato sauce base just lacked any flavor for me. I think Cura Pizza is decent overall with a great CP value. One of my favourite places, however, is this small cafe near Dongmen MRT called Angel 5 Pizzeria.

Paulie’s is also great.

Wrong wrong wrong.:sunglasses:

So spoilt these days when we have a thread of pizza places to avoid. And the places people are saying to avoid are mostly not bad either.

Now Pasta places to avoid…Holy shit that’s almost everywhere.

6 Likes

I have had dinner there two or three times and I didn’t think it was bad at all. Pricey? yeah. Good? that’s what I believed back then.

BTW, you guys have no fucking idea what the worst pizzas in Taipei area are. If I can find pictures, I’ll post them later.

2 Likes

That’s actually one very good standard to judge by, IMO. I mean, it lets you focus on how well they do the basics. Then add a fully topped pie to the mix, and you have a good cross-section. My older boy only eats Margherita anyway, so it’s a basic criterion for us.

3 Likes

We had Aunt Su’s years ago, I thought it was decent. Definitely tasty. Haven’t been for many, many years so maybe their quality slid?

Little New York is great. Really like it. Have to respectfully disagree with you on that one.

1 Like

Aunt su is quite bad, pizza hut, any shop is a disgrace. Dominos only if u r drunk/stoned.

Only italian genuine pizza places in taipei are:

1. Zoca
  2. A mano
  3. Solo pizza
  4. Pizza pub at the sheraton (the guy of a mano made it good before opening its own place)
  5. Pizza oggi (only the traditional naples pizzas)
  6. Andrea style in neihu
  7. Pizza si (same guy of zoca, romana style)

I do agree some American style pizzas are enjoyable as long as not too much stuff and/or grease on it, but have yet to find a decent American style pizza place here.

Taste is not everything, and with pizza most of times less is more.

The most important part of a pizza is the dough! If the dough is good, some tomato sauce and oregano would do, that’s it, that was the first pizza ever, and still rocks! And you will digest the pizza immediately, not waking up soaked in sweat in the dead of the night needing to drink the entire sun and moon lake to quench your thirst due to poor proofed and salty dough.

3 Likes

Now zoca has a proper chef in the kitchen cooking the non-pizza stuff, federico is focussed only on pizzas and desserts, which are his specialties.

1 Like

Pizza Rock is following your advice. Last pizza I got there was paper thin. Maybe it’s just due to wheat flour scarce, all wheat must be stuck in Ukraine and they’re running out of it. Prices aren’t exactly low though.

1 Like

Not referring to dough, the dough as said is the critical part of a pizza. Talking about toppings. A few good ones better than a lot of bad ones

I know, I know… but couldn’t refrain myself… I got a bit pissed off the other day because of this.

1 Like

I agree. Aunt Su’s is one of my favourite pizza places in Taiwan, I go there 1-2 times a year when I’m gonna treat myself. I think many people don’t know what a proper deep dish pizza pie is supposed to taste like.

Jim’s tastes like Costco pizza

Pizza has a Face is the best pizza in Taiwan

The prices are fine fold high quality pizza. Their marinara is around 200 for a 12 inch pizza

It looks good, will go to inspect.

1 Like

Didn’t Little New York have deep fried cookie dough balls at one point? That’s good enough in my book!

Down in Kaohsiung, we have Legends and Opizza for decent pies. All the other pizza places sucks… Pizza Rock is sometimes passable, but it’s highly inconsistent and depends on the branch and time of day you order.

They don’t take reservations, which is usually a good sign

1 Like

+1 for Pizza has a Face. Just went for a 2nd time yesterday.

I do NOT recommend the pizza at Kahu Cafe in Beitou. Their Margarita was an overcooked cheese pizza with the smallest sprinkling of basil. Cool place for drinks though!

2 Likes

Pizza Has a Face is US style. I agree with @OrangeOrganics that their pies are delicious, especially Popeye (if they have it) and the Breakfast Pizza (if they don’t).

Guy

2 Likes

Will go check it out. Just a bit out of my area, need an excuse to get there

3 Likes