Pizza places to avoid? Greater Taipei

It’s adjacent to the Dihua Street area, one of the best districts for historical architecture in Taipei City—so that may add some value if you combine a visit with a stroll around the neighbourhood.

Guy

2 Likes

Just had Pizza Rock tonight in Kaohsiung. One Hawaiian and one pulled pork. Pretty expensive. It was decent. Not fantastic and not bad…a step above Hut.

Yeah there are quite a few cool speakeasy around there as well, if want to make an evening of it.

1 Like

The pulled pork is usually good. They’re a good B-tier chain. Certainly better than Pizza Hut or Dominoes. But they’re sometimes inconsistent chain to chain or even week to week.

1 Like

Avoid Hungry Pans.

That place has great Salads

I would avoid Vicino pizza in Tianmu, Zhongshan N. Rd. Sec. 7. Dry and crap. and their calzone was garbage, so hard to find a good calzone in this town.

There is a MUCH BETTER place across the street, Papa Vito. Some of the best pizza in the city.

I SECOND THIS.

I also enjoy some of their Mondays-only pasta. :yum:

Guy

yea, they only serve pizza Thursday - Sunday. Monday and Tuesday are pasta days, I believe with Wednesdays closed entirely. I have yet to try the pasta, you think it’s pretty good?

Also, be forewarned, that they sell out quick. It’s not uncommon to call them up on a Saturday night around 6:30 and they have already sold out for the day. It’s mostly take out as there is really only one table inside and maybe like 3 outside. Solo diners could grab a spot on the counter. If you are planning to come all the way up to Tianmu for a taste, plan well. Or maybe try in the afternoon when they won’t be sold out. You’d think by now they would have figured out to get more ingredients to keep up with the demand, but I get the impression that the lady who runs it is pretty laid back and satisfied with how business is and doesn’t feel the need to work that much harder.

Actually Papa Vito’s pasta day is now Mondays only; the shop is currently closed Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

I think the pasta dishes are worth trying, as they make the pasta in house, with a nice complex texture. They underline that they do not do creamy sauces favoured in the northern parts of Italy and instead focus on lighter olive oil based sauces, which I found to be quite tasty.

Guy

1 Like

That sums up Pizza Rock. I’ve gone there plenty of times (30? 40? more?), but I’m not sure if it’s worth the money anymore… they increased prices and I’d say recently they’ve halved the dough.

I think I’ve seen roaches at least two or three times in my local branch. One time they offered me a drink… but hey, not a beer, just a sugary soda or similar. The other options are so lame I keep going there xD

Speaking of lame pizzas… whatever happened to Alleycats? xD

Maryjane

I’m done with Maryjane pizza.

I kind of feel personally insulted because I always tell people how good they are.

It used to be my go-to via Ubereats.

But I just recently had a terribly disgusting, basically no toppings that I ordered on top, just s***** cheese on top pizza. I really wanted to vomit.

I guess they’re going the way of most places where you just keep reducing your quality until you die.

Mary Jane belongs in 2012. We are a more civilized city now

I haven’t had their pizza in ages, but remember it being decent? they made a pretty good calzone I thought. They certainly seemed to be everywhere for a brief moment there, but I don’t even know where I can find one these days. I think they over expanded and just couldn’t keep it going.

That.

1 Like

sad, i used to go there weekly in 2006, havent had them in at least 9 or 10 years

Have you tried the calzone—named “Ripieno al Forno” on the menu—at Solo Pizza next to Yuanshan MRT Station? All I can say is: OMFG! :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

with a name like “Solo Pizza” I thought that they would literally have ONLY pizza on the menu, lol… so I haven’t tried it. Someone in another thread about pizza mentioned this place as one of the most authentic Italian style pizza places. Good to hear they have calzone, I am now putting this on my “must eat” list.

well, that’s pizza man. It’s pizza ripiena!

1 Like