Please vote for me for a design award

'Splains a lot. Thanks.

Ah yes. “International” contest that only takes Chinese entrants and only registers votes from Chinese voters. Explains everything. Good luck mate, you’re gonna need it.

BTW, have you tried buying a decent bike with v-brakes lately, or even a replacement fork with v-brake mounts? Almost impossible. Despite being lighter and more efficient, v-brakes are obsolete simply because disk brakes look sexy. There will be a few years where bikes sold at lower price points are still fitted with v-brakes, but low-end cable-actuated disk brakes are available for about $1.50 from China these days so it won’t be long before all bikes have them.

[quote=“redwagon”]Ah yes. “International” contest that only takes Chinese entrants and only registers votes from Chinese voters. Explains everything. Good luck mate, you’re gonna need it.

BTW, have you tried buying a decent bike with v-brakes lately, or even a replacement fork with v-brake mounts? Almost impossible. Despite being lighter and more efficient, v-brakes are obsolete simply because disk brakes look sexy. There will be a few years where bikes sold at lower price points are still fitted with v-brakes, but low-end cable-actuated disk brakes are available for about $1.50 from China these days so it won’t be long before all bikes have them.[/quote]

OK, noted. Time to work on the disk brake version!

Surely you could accommodate a disc brake simply by having the dynamo running off the disc, but with a wire to the actual LEDs, which would be mounted on the seat post or whatever?
I remember the dynamo for the lights on my first grownup bike – the size of a beercan and HEAVY!

So you’re saying your Hung Wang is Chinese? You’re the first person I’ve met who has given co-designer credit to his “other head”. :wink:

Good design, by the way. It’s just a pity that your company owns the rights to it. They aren’t even in the bicycle manufacturing business, are they?

So the leading design ‘Tear’ is a mouse made of biodegradable plastic. It seems to completely miss the point of what biodegradable is designed for!
I’d love to see how the mouse would stand up to 30C of sweaty instant noodle gaming hand, 12hrs a day… :slight_smile:
It’s not even clear how the mouse is assembled from the packaging.

Excellent brainwork, Stu! I hope it’ll make you a million big ones.

I’ve duly registered my vote for you. It doesn’t look like you’ve got much chance of overhauling the “leader”, but perhaps we’ll be able to get you into the top three.

[quote=“sandman”]Surely you could accommodate a disc brake simply by having the dynamo running off the disc, but with a wire to the actual LEDs, which would be mounted on the seat post or whatever?
I remember the dynamo for the lights on my first grownup bike – the size of a beercan and HEAVY![/quote]

Hey sandman, one of the main purposes of this concept is that the dynamo isn’t leaning against anything most of the time. As you’ll well know, that tends to make pedaling harder. So the point is that at the moment of braking, the dynamo is moved against the tyre, and the voltage generated powers the LEDs. The good thing here is that no switches, external wires, etc, are required. It can be a totally enclosed unit that can replace standard V-brakes (or other types, once it can be redesigned accordingly).

But yeah, the location of the disk brake would mean that it’s not as visible to a car behind as a v-brake, so perhaps some type of externally-mounted LED lights would need to be used.

I just did a little experiment. I voted four times. Twice with the Chinese interface, and twice with the English interface. All four appeared to work, increasing your vote total from 55 to 59. I think there’s no limit on the amount of votes per IP address. Also, I chose Taiwan as my country for three of the votes and the United States for the fourth vote.

You’re only about 150 votes behind. You could seriously win this if enough people voted.

I just filled in gibberish for all of the fields, and it worked. For phone numbers, I used numerical digits, and for the email address I used something like asdf@asdf.com

Good luck, Stu! If you’re handy with programming, you could probably write a script to fill in the fields for you with random letters/numbers.

I’m hoping that you don’t win, Stu, and that Liteon doesn’t patent it, but you do, and you develop and manufacture the device by yourself. I’d be willing to contribute seed money and it would be a breeze to get the tooling and start production.

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“sandman”]Surely you could accommodate a disc brake simply by having the dynamo running off the disc, but with a wire to the actual LEDs, which would be mounted on the seat post or whatever?
I remember the dynamo for the lights on my first grownup bike – the size of a beercan and HEAVY![/quote]

Hey sandman, one of the main purposes of this concept is that the dynamo isn’t leaning against anything most of the time. As you’ll well know, that tends to make pedaling harder. So the point is that at the moment of braking, the dynamo is moved against the tyre, and the voltage generated powers the LEDs. The good thing here is that no switches, external wires, etc, are required. It can be a totally enclosed unit that can replace standard V-brakes (or other types, once it can be redesigned accordingly).

But yeah, the location of the disk brake would mean that it’s not as visible to a car behind as a v-brake, so perhaps some type of externally-mounted LED lights would need to be used.[/quote]
Yeah, I know what the concept is. Couldn’t you link the dynamo to, say, the brake piston or something so it would still only engage upon braking?