Pocket bikes/minimotos in Taiwan

I was wondering if there are any full size roadcourses or smaller go-kart tracks in Taiwan. Surely someone’s got the itch to race all those scooters over there.

I’m moving to Taichung (from CA) in a few weeks. I’m pondering if I should ship my minimotos over. I’ve seen an indoor kart track in Taichung during my last visit. It’s on the 11th floor of some shopping building. I’m hoping there are other outdoor tracks as well.

(me at California Speedway’s kart track)

Don’t worry, there are plenty of tracks for any form of racing you want to do. Here’s me at one of those larger go-kart tracks outside of Taipei:
pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eric_diep … pg&.src=ph

For more info. for around Taichung give Plasmatron or Skylarkpuma a PM.

Hey there,

There are a few outdoor karting tracks here in Taichung. One has recently been improved and would be quite suitable for pocket bikes. I’d have to ask the owner if he would allow this on his track. He’s a cool guy so the chances are good.

Cheers

M

There is a go-kart track near my house that once a month has hardcore scooter racing for a day. But you can go there anyday and pay about 6 dollars U.S. and ride on their track as much as you want all day long.

I went to their last racing day…it was crazy…hundreds of people. Scooters flying by on one wheel regularly.

By the way, I heard the T.I.S. track closed down.

Sweet! I’m packing my leathers.

Do you have any further info about this? Which department store is it?

Christ, Taiwan is the worlds largest demolition derby! How could you wish for anything more? :laughing:

[quote=“flatlander_48”]
Do you have any further info about this? Which department store is it?[/quote]

@flatlander_48:
It’s in the building above what used to be/still is the Londoner Pub (don’t know if that dive’s closed down yet or not)… about a block down from NOVA on Gong-Yi Rd… It’s a fairly cramped track though…

@rover:
there are a couple of other tracks around as Skylark said… and pocket bikes are cheap… a local mate of mine imports/sells them, so if you want one give me a PM when you get here…

@the world in general:
f*#king pocket bikes!.. they look like an absolute blast, but since I barely fit on a R1200GS there’s just no way i’ll ever be able to ride one… :s

[quote=“plasmatron”][quote=“flatlander_48”]
Do you have any further info about this? Which department store is it?[/quote]

@flatlander_48:
It’s in the building above what used to be/still is the Londoner Pub (don’t know if that dive’s closed down yet or not)… about a block down from NOVA on Gong-Yi Rd… It’s a fairly cramped track though…

@rover:
there are a couple of other tracks around as Skylark said… and pocket bikes are cheap… a local mate of mine imports/sells them, so if you want one give me a PM when you get here…

@the world in general:
f*#king pocket bikes!.. they look like an absolute blast, but since I barely fit on a R1200GS there’s just no way I’ll ever be able to ride one… :s[/quote]

Thanks for the info plasma. I’ll shoot you a PM. I’m shipping both of my bikes over but it would be nice to meet some riding buddies. They are a blast to ride - I’ve seen 6-foot, 200-pound dudes ride these (and go fast). You can try one of mine if I run into you.

As for that indoor track the term NOVA sounds familiar. It was next to this place where they sell computers and such. I was buying a laptop at the time I came across the track. There was a HUGE banner hanging on the side of the building that had a picture of a kart. I sure do hope they’re still in business because their rates are about 1/4 of the prices at the indoor track here in CA.

If anyone is interested in pocketbikes, here’s a link to our local club in SoCal
http://www.scminigp.com/home/index.php
and I have some pics in my msn space…
http://spaces.msn.com/members/torrance-96

The place close to Nova is still open. And the track up on Dadushan is good fun too. I wrote about it here;
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=173034

wow, I don’t know there is actually one of those mini bike racing going on in Taiwan :laughing: Can anyone provide me more information? Is there a club or some kind? What brand of the bikes people usually get? Thank. :notworthy:

Not sure it there is one because I’m not in Taiwan yet (7 days to go though) but if there isn’t one then I’d like to get one started. But that’s after I get settled into my new home.

A good bike to start with are the ones made in China. They start as low as usd200. They’re kinda slow (2.5hp) and the quality is about what you’d expect from an inexpensive Chinese product but it’s good for getting used to the riding style and you can lowside/highside it all you want and you won’t feel so bad scratching up your fairings. Even though they’re slow they can still scare the crap out of you sometimes. (The picture I posted up top is my China made bike)

Once one outgrows the China made bikes most guys step up to and Italian bike. These put out about 10hp and have a much better fit and finish. You pay the price though usd2000 and up.

Here are some sites where I order spares from:
http://www.minipocketrockets.com/ (cheap bikes)
http://www.midsouthminimoto.com/ (high end bikes)

Not sure it there is one because I’m not in Taiwan yet (7 days to go though) but if there isn’t one then I’d like to get one started. But that’s after I get settled into my new home.

[/quote]

If you were to get one started, would like to help out :slight_smile:
I first got to know about it was in western Canada, and now think it would be quite suitable to set up one of those race here since we have limited space.

I plan on buying one as well. Count me in.

Cool. I’m glad there are others interested.

Realistically though, I probably wouldn’t be able to start playing with my bikes until late this year or early next year. I’ve got to get settled in and take care of priorities first.

[quote=“rover”]Cool. I’m glad there are others interested.

Realistically though, I probably wouldn’t be able to start playing with my bikes until late this year or early next year. I’ve got to get settled in and take care of priorities first.[/quote]

Not a problem, at least you know you have some resources when things are kicking off :slight_smile:

OH YEAH!!!

I just spent this afternoon karting here in Taichung. The track had an awesome layout. Really good flow with no annoying corners. It is sized for the rental karts which don’t have spectacular power so the straights aren’t so long. PERFECT for pocketbikes. Surface is smooth too.

The track owner is a classmate of my buddy and he speaks excellent English. NT600 for a 10 minute session. He says if bring my bikes he’ll let me run on the track. Now shipping my bikes here has been bumped up on the priority list!

http://www.rosso.com.tw

[quote=“rover”]OH YEAH!!!

I just spent this afternoon karting here in Taichung. The track had an awesome layout. Really good flow with no annoying corners. It is sized for the rental karts which don’t have spectacular power so the straights aren’t so long. PERFECT for pocketbikes. Surface is smooth too.

The track owner is a classmate of my buddy and he speaks excellent English. NT600 for a 10 minute session. He says if bring my bikes he’ll let me run on the track. Now shipping my bikes here has been bumped up on the priority list!

http://www.rosso.com.tw[/quote]

One of the…if not the best track in Taiwan is in Jew-Nan. If you do a search for go-karting and jew-nan you will find me talking about it in other posts. The karts actually reach speeds of close to 70km/hr on the straight and the first part of the track is very windy. I’ve seen some people go off in the corners…hit the water barrels…and the water barrels explode! It’s pretty intense. And it’s only 200nt for 10min, I’m sorry to say. But things are always more expensive in big cities. The place I’m talking about is an hour south of me…and Taichung is about 2 hours south of me…and the track is off of the coastal highway…so it’s a nice long safe ride…if you want to do it some weekend.

Edit: some directions are here… [forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.ph … 711#296069](Racing

[quote=“rover”]OH YEAH!!!

I just spent this afternoon karting here in Taichung. The track …
http://www.rosso.com.tw[/quote]A few posts back,[quote=“joesax”]The place close to Nova is still open. And the track up on Dadushan is good fun too. I wrote about it here;
forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?p=173034[/quote]:wink:

You’re right, the owner is very friendly. Nice of him to say you could use the pocketbikes there. I’d like to see that. Sounds like fun.

Ok, i know nothing about pocket bikes, but i saw these and they look pretty awesome: tw.f2.page.bid.yahoo.com/tw/auction/b21826455 what do you guys think?