☣️ Poisoning of Alexey Navalny with Novichok

Unmasking Putin’s mega yacht, Scheherazade.

Idk if this has been mentioned. Navalny supported annexation of Crimea like almost every single Russian.

I think this situation is very similar to China. Chinese dissidents might criticise the CCP, but they are brainwashed to the bone about Taiwan that they would still oppose Taiwanese statehood. This is the reason why I think Russians are not innocent.

3 Likes

When did Nalvany switch from Nazi to Liberal ? How did the conversion happen ? Jesus ? Wife ?

This is such a good find. Even I have not seen that and I’ve seen most of the East European and Russian neo Nazi videos. WTF! 10/10 to @cake

1 Like

Will he be able to survive 9 years in Russian prison? His best hope is for Putin’s regime to fall because of Ukraine.

1 Like

Almost all Russians, including Putin’s liberal critics, supported the right of the Crimean people to self-determination (not all of those agreed with everything about the so-called annexation). No one seriously doubts, based on various independent polls etc, that even before the coup/revolution the majority of Crimeans wanted to break from Ukraine. Ukraine and the US were never going to agree to this under any form, insisting that if Crimea wanted to leave Ukraine it required approval of the majority of all Ukrainians per the Ukrainian constitution.

It takes a lot of chutzpah to argue that the Taiwanese people should have the right to decide the question of independence/unification while denying it to the Crimeans.

1 Like

Which criminal parody of justice will torture their victim to death first? I wouldn’t want to underestimate the torturers on either side, but I’m betting on the US-UK-Australian team murdering Assange first.

These two things are NOT the same.

Assange isn’t being tortured or poisoned and he is not an opposition leader.

The legal systems in those countries are a million times better than anything you will find in Russia.

But good attempt at whataboutery.

Hopefully not

Wow I don’t know what happened to you dude.

Let’s start with the butt end of your post, shall we? You misunderstand the meaning of the word “whataboutery.” The Oxford dictionary defines whataboutery, (a form of the tu quoque fallacy) as “the technique or practice of responding to an accusation or difficult question by making a counter-accusation or raising a different issue.” I in no way used the Assange case to justify or deflect blame away from the prosecution of Navalny and therefore your claim that I used “whataboutism” is false. I think that it’s important to condemn perversions of justice, war crimes, human rights abuses and unjustifiable wars equally, not on the basis of which country the perpetrator is.

No, in some ways the Assange case is even more egregious. Russia is using trumped up charges to persecute a Russian citizen. The US is perverting foreign legal systems in order to persecute a foreign citizen in a foreign country. The Assange case is also even worse because, instead of prosecuting war criminals, the US is out to destroy the man who, in accordance with established journalistic principles, revealed those crimes.

Mils Melzer, the UN special rapporteur on torture might disagree:

On May 31, 2019, the UN Special Rapporteur on Torture, Nils Melzer, reported on his May 9, 2019, visit to Assange in Belmarsh, accompanied by two medical experts: “Mr Assange showed all symptoms typical for prolonged exposure to psychological torture, including extreme stress, chronic anxiety and intense psychological trauma.” On Nov 1, 2019, Melzer warned, “Mr. Assange’s continued exposure to arbitrariness and abuse may soon end up costing his life.”
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)30383-4/fulltext

There are many issues in which there are two sides to the argument. But the Assange case isn’t one of those. Like the question of whether you condone Putin’s invasion, it’s a litmus test. Anyone from the US, Australia or the UK who supports the persecution of Assange is a traitor to their own country and their own country’s most basic values. They’re enemies of democracy and press freedom. Above all they’re responsible for the crimes that will continue to occur if governments feel confident they can be kept hidden from their own people.

3 Likes

Yes yes yes…But they still aren’t the same thing .

Correct Assange is a great investigative journalist. Nalvany is a Nazi, at the very least an extreme ethno nationalist.

1 Like

Putin is a Nazi, at the very least a Christo-fascist. Assange is a rape charge dodger.

The video shows

It is an demonstration with a range of nationalist movements and neo-Nazi organizations are part of it too.

This is not uncommon in Russia. Many ethnic Russians have anti-immigrant, homophobic, islamophobic and antisemitic views.

In 2013 Navalny stopped attending, saying:

My participation in the Russian March will now turn into a hell of a comedy: like Boniface surrounded by children, I will walk in a crowd of 140 photographers and cameramen trying to photograph me in front of the nazi-saluting schoolchildren. Naturally, our “Kremlin friends” will do everything to ensure that there will always be a lot of these Nazis around me.

His political positions are nationalist. (He sees himself as ‘nationalist democrat’)
Over the years his political activities changed from promoting nationalistic-populist views to mainly criticize corruption in Putin’s regime.

Navalny is often painted as far right nazi to discredit him and his criticism of the Russian government.

1 Like

Should add that rape is more widely described in Sweden’s laws than in many other countries.
The woman said that the scope of consensual sexual encounter was violated because Assange did not use a condom and she wanted him to present a STD test.

Anna Ardin told Swedish media: ‘Julian is definitely not a monster. But he crossed my boundaries’.

Not justifying it at all, but he did not force himself on a random woman in a park.
His dodging was out of fear of an extradition to US. Exactly what is happening now.

2 Likes

Putin’s a repressive authoritarian leader responsible, among other things, for a criminal war on Ukraine. I don’t see how describing Putin (or Xi or Netanyahu or Trump for that matter, who have also been likened to Hitler) as a Nazi or fascist adds any clarity.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2021/03/01/we-need-have-talk-about-alexei-navalny/

Navalny has made, and never apologised for, his racist remarks. His xenophobic, anti-immigrant positions are despicable. Navalny, however, is not in jail because he has violated some Russian hate speech law, but because trumped up embezzlement charges have been used to silence him as an opponent of Putin and as someone who is exposing the corruption of Putin and his clique. Here’s an article about Amnesty International downgrading Navalny’s status as prisoner of conscious on the basis of his racist views (a downgrading that the author disagrees with, as I do: whatever unsavoury views Navalny holds, he is being persecuted for one thing only, his outspoken criticism of Putin, and should therefore be supported as a prisoner of conscious).

1 Like

I really hate when folks draw some equivalency like this or muddy the waters with various other characters .

Focus back on Putin and his war crimes.

Getting another 9 years in ‘court’ from a ‘judge’.

Assange repeatedly offered to travel to Sweden to defend the allegations made against him (allegations which he vehemently denies) on the condition that he would not be extradited to the US (or be shipped off to some extra-judicial US “facility” outside the US) on account of his journalistic activities. Such diplomatic assurances would have been routine, but Sweden refused to give it. To call him a “rape charge dodger” in such circumstances is a crude lie.

Anyone interested in the sordid details can examine them and will see the extent to which the nearly decade long Swedish preliminary investigation was an abuse of judicial process aimed at smearing Assange and, as the UN special rapporteur on torture put it, pushing a person into a position where he is unable to defend himself.”

In any case the Swedish investigation has already been dropped. Assange is being persecuted solely on account of journalistic activities in which he exposed US war crimes.

2 Likes