Police Beating of Paul Clark (Part 1)

I don’t think so.

Well, I’m glad to see that the fellow has such good intentions, but what an extraordinary and ill-judged way to go about redressing wrongs to the poor and downtrodden! I’d have thought that letters to newspapers and government officials and other such Hartzellian approaches would serve the cause far better than getting involved in a scrap with local bobbies. Maybe the stresses and strains of living in Taiwan, difficulties with communication, butting his head against a brick wall in the cause he’d taken up, and so on, inflamed by the consumption of a drop too much, caused him to temporarily lose his reason. Poor fellow, I’m starting to feel quite sympathetic towards him for being such an idiot and getting himself into such a pickle for such noble reasons.

The poor guy gets drunk and and half crazy with indignation over something that may or may not have happened (living here can be baffling) and the next thing that happens is he gets beat up at the police station. The cops could have showed more restraint. Or does every wing nut deserve to get his head kicked in?

He was drunk and hit a cop. Usually that gives cops the green light to pound the guy.

Gosh, the last thing I want to do when I’m greased is to go to a police station. :s What was the guy thinking?

All that lead in those exhaust fumes must have affected your brain, bob. Name me one country in the world where the police would not pound a drunk guy who assaulted them. Come on. Just one.
Guy’s a prick. Well-intentioned, but a prick. :unamused:

Incredibly…Taiwan. People hit cops here all the time and seem to get away with it.

The report I saw on the news said something about him upset about the treatment of a Philippino by her Taiwan host family. I am guessing he went there to videotape the fact that the police were doing nothing about it. Supposedly he was also drunk. Those cuts and scratches seem more like something he got when the police tried to subdue him.

Noble idea and I often get upset with cops here not doing there job. But the stupid arrogant guy to hit the police. I think back home in his native land of Canada he might really have gotten into serious trouble for that, and if I was the cop…

In some parts of the US he’d have run the risk of getting ass-pounded with a broken toilet plunger, as well.

The last time I got picked up for drunk and disorderly me and the other wing nuts decided to smoke the last of our weed in the back of the patty wagon. Then we decided to escape by pulling down the plexi glass seperating us from the driver’s compartment. One of the guys pulled the glass down alright. Right on top of my head. They had to take me to the hospital for stiches and all. The only abuse I got from the cops was them calling me a “wimp.” I thought that was pretty bad and almost filed a complaint. It’s true what they say about Canadians. We have terribly long winters…

background info: FYI: Don’t know if this one and the same but Dr. Paul Clark rings a bell on google… HERE:

copernican.org/01.htm

PHOTO HERE, is that him from TV news?

On the news they even showed a woman slapping him in the face while being on a chair handcuffed.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]

Unless the cops are being abusive, I agree AWOL. I was watching the news a week or two ago and these cops were standing around and an old Taiwanese man was yelling in the face of the cops and he slapped one cop in the face twice, and the cops just ignored him. I don’t think they should have. I don’t care if he’s 70 years old, I think they should’ve cuffed him and taken in him in. I know I sound like my grandfather, but I think people must be taught that they cannot initiate physical violence against legal authorities.[/quote]

The cops here regularly take shit that would easily get you shot back in NY, who are hardly the most aggressive cops in the States.

copernican.org/01.htm

I think that is his photo there.

this is the man’s website, above. seems like nice enough chap, leftwing progressive, concerned with righting society’s wrongs and love of God and Mother Teresa, see quote below:

On a forum on the web, he writes:

"My name is Paul Clark and …

I used to work at McGill University as the director of the Faculty of Education International Office and we did have quite an extensive program where we sent teachers all over the world. …

In my opinion Kai Nan University is a wonderful young university with enormous possibilities…

Sincerely,

Paul Clark

“We can do no great things, only small things with great love.”

-Mother Teresa

FYI:

Paul Clark is the Director of The Copernican Foundation that is located in Toronto, Canada. He is also currently a professor at the Kai Nan University Department of Foreign Languages in Taiwan where he teaches Language and Culture. Previously, he was the Executive Director of the McGill Faculty of Education International Office. He has extensive experience in educational research and development in East and Southeast Asia and is currently working with distance education delivery models.

From 1995-1997 Dr. Clark worked in South Korea developing teacher training programs in English as a second language, working closely with the South Korean government. Then, from 1997-1999, he worked on educational development projects in the Philippines. He designed curriculum, trained teachers and built whole schools in some of the most isolated areas of the Philippine archipelago. He is an overall nice guy!

[quote=“lane119”]background info: FYI: Don’t know if this one and the same but Dr. Paul Clark rings a bell on google… HERE:
copernican.org/01.htm
PHOTO HERE, is that him from TV news?[/quote]

That’s him! You found him Lane119. Nice detective work! Should we send him a message?

[quote=“Hobart”][quote=“lane119”]background info: FYI: Don’t know if this one and the same but Dr. Paul Clark rings a bell on google… HERE:
copernican.org/01.htm
PHOTO HERE, is that him from TV news?[/quote]

That’s him! You found him Lane119. Nice detective work! Should we send him a message?[/quote]

Maybe send a message of support and invite him aboard to tell his side of the story. Good idea.

About 36 years old, college grad in 1989.
Drama major!
***** THAT EXPLAINS IT ALL!

offstage whispers:

[I heard he is being featured prominently on the news this evening, apologizing and making up. He has quite a few cuts and bruises on his face, arms, legs and body, and even got slapped across the face by that female “people’s representative” (who wept about it and hugged him later). All very colorful, indeed, and the viewing public must be lapping it up – far better than any of their soaps!]

Looks like a troublemaker to me.

And on THAT note, I wish somebody would start going out and beating the hell out of some of these Taiwanese “employers”. I’ll pay for a baseball bat if anyone is interested. :laughing: And…

FUCK THE POLICE!

I liked the title of his talk in 1994 at some high school graduation ceremony: “How long will you wait to make your lives extraordinary?”

copernican.org/01.htm

Wow, it is really shocking that a guy who seems to be ok in many respects could make such a complete ass out of himself. He is totally at fault. I saw him on television hitting the cop.
I think the police still showed an amazing amount of restraint. He had some bruises and scapes but still had teeth and no broken bones. In the US, I don’t know if the same would be said about someone who hits a cop.
As for the politician who slapped him, she is a c##t and he should have smacked her instead of the cop.

Yes, the stupid cow was just “putting on a show” because she saw the cameras there, realized all the attention it would be getting on the news, and wanted to grab herself a share of the action. She knows that the Taiwanese TV-goggling masses love nothing more than a good face-slapping (which features approximately once every seven minutes in the average soap), and acted on cue like Pavlov’s drooling little barkers. And to make the most of it, she followed up with weepy apologies to “the people of Taiwan” a la James “Kneeler” Soong (I guess she must have PFP affiliation) and a badly acted reconciliation with the battered foreigner. What a cast!

In some parts of the US he’d have run the risk of getting ass-pounded with a broken toilet plunger, as well.[/quote]

Or you get four policemen pounding you with nightsticks. Just ask a certain Mr. King.

Perhaps next time Dr. Clark might use a hidden camera…