Police Beating of Paul Clark (Part 1)

The first page of this thread had me worried for a minute. I better keep my distance from the police station here in Hsinchu lest they think this Canadian Clark is the same as that Canadian Clark and decide to rough me up a bit.

Ohhh…I wonder if she will fly down to Kaohsiung and do that to me? :lovestruck:

I did not see this on the tube but I will add what I got from my Taiwanese who, when he saw this on the news was so upset he called me about it. He says the whole story has not been reported on the news. The Canadian is married to a Filipino who’s Filipino friend lives downstairs from him. She was being abused by her husband, the Canadian went downstairs to confront him and got into an altercation with the husband with the ensuing bruises and scratches. He called the police who refused to prosecute the husband and instead searched his apartment (in search of what I do not know, I assume anything they could find).

Next thing he is down at the copshop with the videocam and you know the rest. Cop tussle. Cuffs. KMT legislator is there and slaps him a few times. My friend left a message on her website and she called him and apologized. My friend said human rights are for shit here. CNN can film but not him. Illegal searches. The legislator should have been charged with battery but walks away clean.

That is what I heard about this incident but again I have not seen any of this but got it from someone with a local perspective.

Ohhh…I wonder if she will fly down to Kaohsiung (Gaoxiong) and do that to me? :lovestruck:[/quote]

Finally, just saw the TVBS film loop segment, showing Doctor Clark standing at front door of copshop with vidcamera, then punching one cop in stomach to get away from him, then being pulled down the ground by a group of police, then his battered face, then the lady slapping him, which really seemed to get a rise out of him, he looks at TV camera like a real pro and says “Did you guys get that! She slapped me. Right on camera! Did you get that?” and then the last segment shows him teaching again in class at NanKai Uni, informally dressed but looking like the nicest sweetest guy in the world, NOT THE MEAN OGRE who went ballistic at the copshop. Such a strange strange story.

I hope he joins this board later and tells us his version of the events. As omini said, quite the soap opera and will probably get repeated over the weekend.

He didn’t LOOK that drunk! Was he on something else? Is he married to a Filipina? That is what I heard.

RE INTERLOCUTOR"s POST ABOVE: "…the whole story has not been reported on the news. …The Canadian man is married to a Filipino who

my understanding of the story is

• he is married to a Filipina
  • the Taiwanese family living near him have a Filipina maid
  • he saw the family abusing the maid
  • he reported the abuse to the police who did nothing
  • he felt the family had ‘bribed’ or something like that - the police to hush up the story
  • he videotaped the family showing abuse and then decided to film the police to prove they were corrupt (this is where my understanding of the story and how on earth he thought this corruption could be proved - gets fuzzy)

sorry thats all i have

I think he deserves some kind of award.

1. For protesting a social problem and
  2. trying to document it with a vidcam
  3. and most importantly for showing up in class the next day to teach!

Like the annual Magsaysay Award in Manila.

He should also be interviewed on that TVBS talk show that interviewed T.C. Locke and Mark Western for 30 minutes and give us the inside story. He seems like an articulate and bright college professor.

And for anyone here who has not seen his website yet, one last time:

copernican.org/01.htm

i’m gonna make him a captain in my private army (the Peoples Front of Forumosa)…he looks feisty plus he got da smarts for some clever battle tactics methinks…

One question: who is the KMT politician who slapped him? The infamous Diana Lee, who threw a drink at some thug politico last year, or a new one? And how did she get from Taipei to Taoyuan so fast? Is she a Taoyuan pol?

Picture please!

Unfortunately, if he was defending a case of abuse, no one is likely to listen to him now. His actions (going into the police station and roughing up a cop) will forever speak louder than his words. Might have thought to go through one of the Philipino rights orgarnizations here before taking matters into his own hands. Sounds like he mucked it up and made things harder, not only on himself, but on the Filipina he was trying to defend. :unamused:

CK

I suggest, just for fun, we find out who the legislator who slapped him was, and flood her office with phone calls/e-mails (from untraceable IPs, of course)…

She’s not a legislator but a county councillor, and her name is Huang Wan-ru (I’ve no idea how she romanizes it).

According to the report in today’s Apple Daily, she happened to be at the cop shop at the time dealing with a constituent’s business, and according to her version of events, she was incensed by Clark’s actions because her ex-husband was a cop and she doesn’t like to see the boys in blue being messed around.

He should file charges against her.

From what I can tell, she had absolutely no business laying a hand on the guy.

[quote=“tigerman”]He should file charges against her.

From what I can tell, she had absolutely no business laying a hand on the guy.[/quote]

I agree. He shouldn’t let it go as easily as he seems prepared to. But maybe he’s been threatened that unless he drops it, the police will press charges against him for assaulting a policeman on duty, resisting arrest, etc.

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]Well, I’m glad to see that the fellow has such good intentions, but what an extraordinary and ill-judged way to go about redressing wrongs to the poor and downtrodden! I’d have thought that letters to newspapers and government officials and other such Hartzellian approaches would serve the cause far better than getting involved in a scrap with local bobbies. Maybe the stresses and strains of living in Taiwan, difficulties with communication, butting his head against a brick wall in the cause he’d taken up, and so on, inflamed by the consumption of a drop too much, caused him to temporarily lose his reason. Poor fellow, I’m starting to feel quite sympathetic towards him for being such an idiot and getting himself into such a pickle for such noble reasons.[/quote]Also, the police enforce law and order and generally help innocent people, so I don’t consider them policemen, so the “Don’t smack policemen in the head” rules doesn’t apply to me here.

But I guess the “Don’t smack gangsters in uniform in the head” rule applies in instead.

She’s not a legislator but a county councillor, and her name is Huang Wan-ru (I’ve no idea how she romanizes it).

According to the report in today’s Apple Daily, she happened to be at the cop shop at the time dealing with a constituent’s business, and according to her version of events, she was incensed by Clark’s actions because her ex-husband was a cop and she doesn’t like to see the boys in blue being messed around.[/quote]

Yeah and based on this blokes experience he is pissed at people bashing maids!! In either case, assault charges could be laid.

Managed to record some of the news via my TV card.
He poked the cop in the stomach pretty hard.

myweb.hinet.net/home10/taiwanpsy … -1200(TV40.wmv

[quote=“TaiwanPsycho”]Managed to record some of the news via my TV card.
[/quote]

Pretty impressive TV card, Taiwanpsycho. He didn’t look very drunk. Was he drunk at all? Maybe that was just a rumor. Why was he crying?

[and what the eff is a TV card? How did you do that magic trick?]

My friend saw the segment and said that the channels were showing the woman slap the man over and over. She said that this is the loop that will go around the world to show how foreigners are treated in the police stations.
2004 Taiwan Year of Tourism…

I’m with Blueface here. And while we are at it, snipers killing people who run red lights would be good. Mainland China would just have to wait for the cities to thin out and then just saunter in. :fume:

He should file charges against her.

From what I can tell, she had absolutely no business laying a hand on the guy.[/quote]

I saw the segment briefly last night. He foolishly signed a settlement on the spot. I imagine it was with the politico.

On the other hand, though, how much publicity would he have got by going through the “normal channels?” He got this shit on TV at least. Maybe he did it this way for that reason. I say this after seeing an article yesterday about some fucktard and his wife who pretended to be divorced so that he could buy a Vietnamese woman. Then they kept her as a slave, beat her, burned her with cigarettes and starved her. In the picture, she looks like a concentration camp inmate.