Police Beating of Paul Clark (Part 2)

Wonderful post, mwalimu. How’d you come by that moniker? did you teach in Tanzania or Kenya?

[quote=“mwalimu”]
So, you’re right, you are the famous ironlady ( :notworthy:) [/quote]

mwalimu, ironlady is a grouch on Forumosa. :taz:

Don’t take her grouchiness too seriously since rumor has it that she’s a cuddly little sweetie in person. :flowers:

Vorkosigan, I taught for a year at a harambee school in Kenya’s Western Province. An amazing experience.

I’m sure you’re right, smerf

What’s the status on this story? I lost the thread of this due to an overly busy work and personal schedule the last couple of weeks. I have reviewed a few recent pages but there seems to be little news about what happened to this guy. Did he go to court? It is all still pending or was everything dropped? Can anyone briefly summarize?

Thanks

It appears that he has picked up his toys and gone home. Or maybe to a bamboo cage in Vietnam.

Nope. I’m still here but not for much longer.

Oh yes, I forgot to tell this story but I think it speaks volumes. When I worked at McGill University in Canada we used to send student teachers to Taiwan for the summer to get some international teaching experience. At that time it was not at all uncommon for schools in Taiwan tell us not to send any black or Asian teachers; I think what we’re talking about is good old fashioned racism here.

Anyway, I am the newest of newbies at this whole posting thing. It’s been a real education and I didn’t count them but a lot of the posts seem to be rivalries between individual posters. I’m not sure I really like this online world. I think from now on I’ll stick with the real one.

P.S. It is perhaps noteworthy that the police did apologize when I left the station. I’m not sure it was worth a week in the hospital but still it was a nice gesture.

The following by two quotes are from Gandhi. Sorry to get preachy at the end.

[b]“Non-cooperation with evil is a sacred duty.”

“You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees.
An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.
A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul.”
-Gandhi[/b]

Regards,
Paul
http://copernican.org

[quote]“You assist an evil system most effectively by obeying its orders and decrees.
An evil system never deserves such allegiance. Allegiance to it means partaking of the evil.
A good person will resist an evil system with his or her whole soul.”
-Gandhi [/quote]

A lot of us, Paul, have been here a long time. And in our own way, we’ve resisted evil. And we don’t like getting preached at by newbies riding high horses. Every dumb thing like the one you just did reflects on all the foreigners here, and the rest of us now have to live in the stink you left behind. Thanks, Paul.

Your shallow and insipid quotes leave out a vital ethical necessity: that resistance to evil is validated not by its intentions but by its effectiveness. Or, as a man much wiser than Gandhi once said: There is no excuse for failure.

Vorkosigan

I don’t mind being preached at by newbies – if they have something to say. But I really DON’T like getting preached at by dumb schmucks. :unamused:

Wow…it’s strange, I missed the story about Gandhi having a screwdriver and then going to his local police station flashing around a video camera, speaking a language that few people could understand. Guess I should reread my history books…anyone know offhand which chapter and verse that might be in. Oh, and since we are drawing these great historial references, where is it in the Bible that Jesus went screaming into his local police station about injustices dealt to his people? Sorry, my memory is getting pretty bad…oops, maybe too many screwdrivers… :slight_smile:

Paul is yet another shining example that helps to debunk the myth of the Ph.D.

Frankly, Paul you will be my newest example when I’m approached by the next dipsh*t with a huge ego who thinks he’s infinitely better than I am because he has one and I don’t. Heh heh heh. :smiling_imp:

I’m really looking forward to these cheery little discussions. I’m not sure what high horse I’m on. I don’t even have a horse. But I hear some bitter people being mad a me for doing nothing for a long time. That’s your choice.

If I were on a high horse that would mean that thought I was better than someone else; I don’t; I think Gandhi was better than everyone else. Don’t read too much into this stuff folks.

[b]"I have a dream that my 4 children will one day live in a nation Where they will not be judged by the color of their skin But by the content of their character."
-- Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68)[/b]

P.S. I don’t think I’m Martin Luther King either. I just thought it was a cool quote.

Are you so incapable of ever responding positively or seeing the good in anyone or anything you come into contact with, including these excellent forums and the many fine people who post here? You do seem to have an unhappy knack of rubbing people up the wrong way and dissipating the deepest reserves of goodwill!

In truth, the matters we discuss and the information we exchange here are a lot more “real” than the phantasms that apparently fill the strange world of Paul Clark.

[quote=“SteveZeAuthor”]Paul is yet another shining example that helps to debunk the myth of the Ph.D.

Frankly, Paul you will be my newest example when I’m approached by the next dipsh*t with a huge ego who thinks he’s infinitely better than I am because he has one and I don’t. Heh heh heh. :smiling_imp:[/quote]

Steve,
You have to remember that a Ph.D. from Canada is worth about as much as a “nut” in my shit.

Paul, you are one clueless bloke. Go back to Canada and become a “fluffer” for Jack Layton…you can videotape that :smiling_imp:

:wanker:

In the hospital for a week? Who was? You were in your class teaching, and posting on here a couple of days after the news report. You haven’t mentioned it once before (but I’m sure that the trauma blocked this from your mind, right?). Sure, you’ve got noble, righteous intentions, however you sound full of shit. I have an uncle who also “only has one drink”, but when he asks for two fingers of gin, he’ll extend his pinky and his index finger… and he likes to cry and blame everyone else when things don’t go his way.

Yeah, yeah, yeah…you’re all exemplary citizens.

Let’s put it this way: if Paul were to be hit by a bus tomorrow and lie bleeding in the street near death, I don’t think he would have any cause to feel regretful for what he had failed to do. He may not have gone about it in the proper way in all the details, as he has said, but let’s leave out the V8 part for a moment – how many of the rest of you have even attempted to make a police report for this sort of thing?

Another thing…oddly enough, it is those without Ph.D.s who usually read a lot into the thoughts of those who have them. For most of us who do have them, they are little more than a few extra letters floating around that, with luck and all the planets in the right position, can get a Taiwanese editor to believe you when you tell him for the seventieth time that your English grammar actually IS correct.

If you want to attack Paul on his words, first it might be nice to quote them accurately and completely and then state your opinions. There is little point in “attacking” him based on the fact that he did a Ph.D., is a teacher, wears blue socks or showers at night as opposed to in the morning. None of these are really relevant to the issue(s) being discussed, although it must be admitted that this has become a rather “buckshot” thread (i.e., small bits of sharp words flying in random directions).

Yes, but the fact remains that Clark received a lot of sympathy and goodwill from many people on this site, and he blew it by making stupid generalizations about numerous things. This makes him more of a “shit-disturber” than a “crusader” in my eyes.

:sunglasses:

I don’t see where he’s made any more stupid or more numerous generalizations on this site than, well, just about anyone else.

Paul, when you do travel, travel well. Changes can and should be made. Most of my question’s were about the maid. If she did run away, and wasn’t illegal before doing so, she is now. You are here legally, as is your family. Taiwan is not a utopia. Nowhere to my knowledge is. It is also not your country (or a country depending on…). There are ways to change and fix things, and ways not to. I learn three ways: Advice, Observation, Experience. If I could get to a 10/20/70% ratio, I would be a very wise man. Sadly, I am still at a 1/2/97% ratio. So, I really don’t have a gavel to swing. Apparently during birth, you came out with one. Swing away. You created an episode. You are bitter. Nothing was fixed. That is fact. Your efforts and meanings were correct. I never questioned those. Besides the negative going on, did you learn anything positive that will assist you in not doing this again?

His resume states that his Copernican Foundation is located in Montreal, while the website says Bay Street in Toronto (Canada’s equivalent of Wall Street) Personally, I think the dude is from the planet transexual in the galaxy of transelvania. However, his cheap theatrics are not as enjoyable as watching the “Rocky Horror Picture Show” :wink:

Montreal, Toronto, Winnipeg, it’s all frozen wasteland.