Policing in America

The truth, as usual, is somewhere in between…

I agree. Which is why your characterizing their ideas as ACAB when they are not saying this isn’t really fair.

Generally speaking, not referencing these recent shootings, we’d see much better results out of policing if there were some combination of screening/training for EQ (for lack of a better term maybe).

Just the ability to approach a situation without the mentality of aggression for everyone who interacts with them beyond robotic compliance. I’m talking even in situations with fines/misdemeanors.

Too many cops, even good people who are trained properly, have issues with interacting with others. Like they take personal affront to it when someone attempts a conversation, because to some degree their mentality is more “I am the law” than “I’m serving my community”.

In the long term, cops with the ability to read people better, and hold dialog with people they interact with, goes a long way towards increased mutual trust with a community.

1 Like

They should train with CPS.

At about 28 minutes, the black “crowd” starts berating black cops. Real nice.

At 42 minutes, Chief says nope, still gonna use pepper spray, tear gas and rubber bullets.

1 Like

The hypocrisy of entitled people “oh we weren’t warned of a potential shooting”. Huh. Did they warn the police of of their potential terrorist actions, violence, etc. etc.

These are the people who passively glorify violence terrorists when it suits them.

A kid holding a plastic gun, who is shot at by a cop is perfectly fine in their logic. But violently storming the Capitol, assaulting police and trashing the place should be treated with kid gloves.

2 Likes

The kid was holding a gun. When he stops running you can still see the gun in his right hand. He then drops the gun, but you cannot see this happening on the videos. The cop orders him to raise his hands, which he starts to do while turning around. The cop would be entirely justified in believing that the kid is still holding the gun.

If I had been the cop I would have shot him too. I would have felt terrible when I then discovered that he was only 13 and he had dropped the gun.

3 Likes

I can’t see how anyone doesn’t see what you describe. I just think they don’t want to

3 Likes

This^

Cops are human and not robots. They will make human errors. When faced with a criminal suspected of shooting at cars, known to have a gun on them, and running from the police, it’s understandable the cop would be be quick to act.

Also, I don’t see many people talking about the fact that this happened in Little Village ffs.

You go into LV as a cop, you’re on edge from the get go.

This is a reddit post about the type of area they were in. I’m well familiar with the area and I lived in Humboldt where my neighbor was a 10 year old give or take keeping watch for his set on the corner. He often had a gun which, as a neighbor, was more than disturbing to say the least.

There’s lots of people who don’t know enough about how it could happen and why it happens…

I was 13 and knew these kids. I hung out with 13 year olds preyed on, used and thrown away, boys “in gangs”. We grew up with other dudes who started being used at 13, hyped up at 13, given missions at 13.

My friend Pepsi -he was goofy, silly, wore corrective glasses, we did voices together, rode bikes, smoked, played kick the can, played laser tag in the street, played with hot ice, stayed out til really late. He helped my mom carry groceries, he walked my little brother to the corner store. He was a kid who someone saw as vulnerable. His brother was already a D, and soon enough the pressure was on Pepsi. “Pepsi carry this jewelry box for me, I’ll call you when I need it, Pepsi walk over to this house with this bag drop it off, Pepsi you can only play on this corner now” he didn’t want to join. He didn’t want to carry it, but the pressure was on. And because he was still goofy at 13, school was hard for him. Classes were hard for him, reading was still hard for him. School was no longer for him. His support and affirmation started to come from these older dudes. They started to use him too. It took him 20 years to shake it, 20 years to leave something he didn’t want to be in in the first place. He was groomed at 13

He’s 1 of 5 kids I know groomed at 13. They were given names like Lil Man, Lil S, Lil Bold, ShortyD- almost a nod to how small and young and vulnerable they were. If they fought it off it became a campaign for the older guys to press harder, sway longer, corrupt funner. Most of them didn’t want to, but what do you do to sway them, you get 1 and you praise them, peer pressure is a bitch and it works well too.

One of them use to call the police on his own missions hoping to force his way out. Brother already using him. Another one use to pretend his mom was strict so he could Segway out, another dead at 16, another locked up at 15, another got to move away- forced to flip to a different gang. The kids are groomed, they are failed by the lack of resources, failed by the lack of school integrity, failed many times over. And they all 100% regret their decisions, but it was impossible to get away. You live where your being groomed. You look up to the cooler guys. Did their parents fail? Naw we failed their parents. All working hard to provide food and a home, all working so much they needed a security net for their boys. The boys that were groomed at 13.

Unfortunately. This is the reality for these areas and for people to be shocked that a cop would do this to a child need to realize that the kids are actually very, very dangerous. That is, assuming the cop even knew he was a kid in first place, which given that they were sprinting in the dark with less than a second a face to face interaction is doubtful.

1 Like

I saw it exactly as you describe it too. How can anyone not be able to see it?

2 Likes

Traffic stop gone bad

And here’s Chris Cuomo, being all helpful:

And another example of why cops tend to be a bit jumpy in these kinds of situations. This is what happens when you let your guard down. Not for the faint hearted:

I suppose this goes here. What goes around comes around.

There’s probably some truth to that - look at the reaction to the opioid crisis vs crack epidemic.

Good news is the shooter is burning in Hell now:

39-year-old Omar Felix Cueva of Deming . . . was eventually stopped by LCPD Officer Adrian De La Garza who utilized a Pursuit Intervention Technique maneuver near mile marker 140.

Cueva exited the pickup armed with a firearm and shot multiple rounds towards officers and deputies.

LCPD Officer Adrian De La Garza and DASO Deputies Diego Herrera and Obed Marte returned fire towards Cueva, who was struck several times by gunfire. . . . Cueva died from his injuries at the scene.

1 Like

Time for a little palate cleanser maybe? :grin:

How does this work? On Friday the NYPD saves New York from God knows what by arresting an Ohio man allegedly toting an AK-47 and a bag of ammo inside the Times Square subway station.

On Saturday, the NYPD is the punching bag, yet again, for an anarchic bunch of privileged brats who think it’s their right to attack the police officers who keep this city safe.

What gives, New York?

Exhibit A: California Congresswoman Maxine Waters, who should know better at the age of 82, flew 1,000 miles from Washington, DC, to Minnesota on Saturday night to cause trouble in an already volatile space.

She urged protesters — who had attacked police the previous night and already were defying a curfew — to “stay on the street [because] we’re looking for a guilty verdict” in the Chauvin trial.

“And if we don’t [get it], we cannot go away. We’ve got to get more confrontational.”

SEE ALSO

[image]

[

Two Minnesota National Guardsmen suffer minor injuries in drive-by shooting

](Two Minnesota National Guardsmen suffer minor injuries in drive-by shooting)

Sure enough, within a few hours of Waters’ inflammatory remarks, two soldiers were injured when someone opened fire on the Minnesota National Guard and Minneapolis police in a drive-by shooting. Thankfully, their injuries were minor, according to Adjutant Maj. Gen. Shawn Manke.

“This event highlights the volatility and tension in our communities right now,” he said in a statement.

Waters couldn’t care less, appearing on MSNBC Sunday morning boasting that she saw herself “kind of as Auntie Maxine … Those of us who hold significant positions must stand up.”

This is staggeringly unseemly behavior from a member of Congress.

If one person is killed or injured in riots after the Chauvin verdict, then Waters ought to be held responsible for pouring gasoline on the fire.

1 Like