Policing in America

Now, here’s a reactive little law that went into place. Yeesh

The bill, which covers 61 pages, makes several changes to Florida criminal and administrative law, and will:

• Make it more difficult for cities and counties to reduce funding for law enforcement, allowing local elected officials to challenge those budget decisions, and giving the state power to approve or amend the local budget
  • Allow those local governments to be sued if they fail to stop a riot
    Define “riot” as a violent public disturbance involving 3 or more people acting with common intent resulting in injury to others, damage to property, or the imminent danger of injury or damage
  • Enhance penalties for people who commit crimes during a riot
  • Create a new second-degree felony called an “aggravated riot,” which occurs when the riot has more than 25 participants, causes great bodily harm or more than $5,000 in property damage, uses or threatens to use a deadly weapon, or blocks roadways by force or threat of force
1 Like

Same guy. They just cover for him and let him continue.
David McLaughlin a guy on a power trip.

Welcome to People’s Republic of America, comrade.

Sure, because centralized laws and a Florida Law are just exactly the same. :roll:

US is more centralized than you think. FDR started the trend of literally forcing states to do what the Federal government wants, or else certain grants, taxes, etc. don’t go to that state. That was how drinking age is 21 across ALL states even though it’s a state level thing. Federal government is taking a role that the Constitution never intended for it to take (the truth is the US Constitution was intending the Federal government to be more like the EU, meaning controlling things that affected all states such as interstate trade and foreign policy).

How do you know what I think about it?

Not when it comes to policing… not even in the same city sometimes (city police, sheriffs, highway patrol, all working differently, with overlapping jurisdiction).

Yea, which leads to problems with double jeopardy, which is illegal according to the US Constitution, but is allowed because they lawyered their way out of it.

Lawyers is how rights are infringed, but only militaries can get it back (hopefully).

So… you think it’s centralized, or not?

Uh, no. If LAPD arrests you and you get tried, LASD can’t then bring you up on the same charges (it might be the same prosecutors anyway).

But the FBI could prosecute you on the same charge. Has happened again and again and SCOTUS says it’s legal.

And many Federal law and state law overlap, and they can BS their way with interstate commerce clause. That’s why ATF can arrest a person for possessing guns, because they can BS their way around it.

Give me an example… I think you’re probably thinking of someone being brought up on different charges, in the same crime.

Typically you can’t be prosecuted for the same underlying acts even if there are different charges attached to them. However, that doesn’t apply between different sovereigns, like a state and the federal government.

1 Like

Nope.

Court is full of examples.

Guy gets arrested for felon in possession of firearms in the state. Does state time.

Then ATF picks him up and gives him 2 more years.

Happens ALL THE TIME.

Google “dual sovereign”. Basically the law treats United States of America and state as separate countries with overlapping territories. So both can prosecute you separately if they want to.

Same with bank robberies. Robber does time for robbery. Then gets 20 more years on top of their state years for the same robbery.

It is highly unconstitutional but SCOTUS allows it because you know, safety and security and all that right?? ACLU of all people actually filed the case on it.

Everything in the US Bill of Rights were things the British government denied them.

Before I get started there are some VERY scary things in the US Patriot Act. Things that could have any organizations (including ACLU) declared as terrorist organizations.

Dude. So, you’ve gone from city police, county sheriff, and highway patrol bringing up double jeopardy concerns, to federal double jeopardy happening “all the time,” to specifically dual sovereignty cases, which I don’t think actually happens all the time (if you got some references to them being a common issue I’d love to read them).

Our resident lawyer already brought up its legality. Yes it’s legal and yes it happens.

Yes, I know there’s exceptions. Just not in the cases where you initially brought it up (pd, sheriff, highway patrol), and I’m not going to take it at face value that it’s common at the federal level.

1 Like

NY State capital, Albany. Mayor says, yurp, I agree with the Police Chief. Move them along.

These are the kinda people ~training~ your police.

It’s a police state, stoopid, and we’re all hajis.

Following his retirement from the Army, Grossman founded the Killology Research Group to educate law enforcement officers and soldiers how to improve outcomes in lethal encounters. Grossman is best known for his police training program, based on the self-coined study of “killology”, which aims to reduce officers’ psychological inhibition to kill suspects. Grossman describes a facet of his training as it relates to the human reluctance to kill as “making it possible for people to kill without conscious thought.”

1 Like