Policing in America

But they should also know that the gravest threat to Black lives is not the police; it’s crime. In 2019, when nine unarmed African Americans died in police shootings, 7,484 Black people lost their lives in homicides. African Americans are six times more likely than whites to be killed in a homicide, which is the leading cause of death among Black Americans between 10 and 24. But MSNBC rarely shares these details, because they don’t fit the larger narrative of police misconduct and brutality.

This is an interesting podcast, I’ll have to listen to it more. They get into policing at 1:04:30, very good conversation.

Another day another Karen, a black Karen this time though.

Bill Melugin
@BillFOXLA

Replying to

@BillFOXLA

LASD also tells me the woman has a history of making false complaints against deputies. I’ve learned what her name is, and she has been a professor at schools in the LA area, but at this time, I will not be identifying her because she has not returned any of my calls or emails.

6:31 PM · May 3, 2021·Twitter Web App

WTF is wrong with Americans. No wonder that guy wants to foolishly denounce his citizenship on here.

She’s a piece of work.

But it’s hard to give LASD the benefit of the doubt. :smiley: What happened before this video? Is the deputy being looked into him violating policies with his personal recordings? :stuck_out_tongue:
http://pars.lasd.org/Viewer/Manuals/10008/Content/10426

A traffic infraction?

I think he bought his own because one wasn’t issued. Now THAT’s an issue? lol

Yes, it’s against policy, per the link I included.

1 Like

Members shall not use a personal cellular telephone or any other similar personal communication or recording device to record, store, document, catalog, transmit, and/or forward any image, document, scene, or environment captured as a result of their employment and/or while performing official Department business that is not available or accessible to the general public.

You appear to be correct. :+1:

There’s never been any shortage of Americans being idiots with the police.

Those shootings were a couple of blocks from my former elementary school. My gut says fur gonna fly.

Who polices the police?

Yeah, I wish it was funny.

Pay cops more, give them a LOT more training. Most of the training they get is in the academy. A civilian oversight board will only find the messes. Better structure at the get go is the best way to improve the situation.

Local story.

Sure, they can blame bail reform… or, you know, maybe the legal system is the problem if it can’t actually get him in court and prosecuted (so he’s not out on the street again) in a timely fashion, eh? I’m sure a couple failure to appears would mean that he could be held, no?

How fast should he be slapped into jail after he’s arrested, do you think?

Well, in the U.S., there’s a right to a speedy trial. Some jurisdictions specifically define what that is, and iirc, federal cases try to get charges filed within something like 30 days of arrest and trial within 60 days of arraignment - that seems like good upper bounds, in general, for non crazy cases (which this guy’s doesn’t seem to be). ;D (edit: 30 and 70: 18 U.S. Code § 3161 - Time limits and exclusions | U.S. Code | US Law | LII / Legal Information Institute)

edit 2: new york:

I see another article that he’s had 17 arrests this year, starting in January. So yea, I stand by my comment that it’s the system that needs to get it’s ass moving.

Here, my sympathy is highly limited. Once past a couple of arrests I would say some more common sense needs to be applied. I would also note the first article states “Authorities say the pair has active warrants for failure to appear in court.” So it’s a question to what extent his right to a speedy trial is even in question here. But thankfully it seems his run is at an end anyway.

Any more debateable stories?