Politically Loaded Words of the Pro-China Crowd

I think you might add

Guangfu = retrocession, the very offensive term for Taiwan’s being “returned to” (read “seized by”) China.

[quote=“Vorkosigan”]I think you might add

Guangfu = retrocession, the very offensive term for Taiwan’s being “returned to” (read “seized by”) China.[/quote]

I thought the term “Guangfu Taiwan” is a pretty loaded term.

Did the Nationistss ever send their army over to fight the Japanese in Taiwan? At least the Americans were dropping bombs over our head. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]Nitpicking, I know, but people live in a country or on an island, with country taking precedence over island, e.g. “I want to buy a holiday house, either on Skye or in Ireland,” or “I live in Taiwan and I’m going to spend my holidays on Green Island.”
As Taiwan is a country, you should say in not on Taiwan.
[/quote]

Maybe it’s just NZ English then, but we’d never say, I live ‘on’ the North Island (nor would we say on Tasmania, or on Hawaii - meither of which are countries.

On second thoughts, I’m sure it’s not just NZinglish. Googling it finds mroe than 20 times as many results with ‘in’ for the above examples.

Bringing this back on topic, the relevance of this for Taiwan, is that some people will say - going by your above guidelines - that as Taiwan is not a country, we should say ‘on Taiwan’ rather than ‘in Taiwan’. You or I would argue that Taiwan is a country, so these people are incorrect. My point is, that they are incorrect either way. Yoru above rule might be the ‘correct’ grammatical usage, but it is not correct form the point of view of common usage.

Brian

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
Maybe it’s just NZ English then, but we’d never say, I live ‘on’ the North Island (nor would we say on Tasmania, or on Hawaii - meither of which are countries.

Brian[/quote]

As for Hawaii, Hawaii is both a state and an island, and they are NOT the same. As a state, we would say IN Hawaii, but there is also an island called Hawaii within the state of Hawaii, and for that we say ON the island of Hawaii (to differentiate it from the state.) Same for Rhode Island. There is a state named Rhode Island as well as an island by that name. For the state, we say IN, for the island, we say ON.

For Taiwan, there is the country and the island. Most of the country is made up of the island of Taiwan, but not the entire country. If you are referring specifically to the island of Taiwan, you should use ON, but if you are referring to the country (which includes many other islands in addition to Taiwan island), you should use in.

Just my not so humble opinion. :smiling_imp:

Wai sheng ren= China born Taiwanese

The XinZhumin debate comes from the early 1990’s as the aborigines started to become a political force and unite for the interests of aboriginal polity. The KMT rejected the term Yuan Zhu Min because it insinuated a Taiwanese beginning rather than an ancient arrival, thus giving aborigines greater legitamacy and the KMT less. Pro-KMT aborigines backed the terms Xin Zhu Min and Hou Zhu Min, but the liberals suggested Yuan Zhu Min was accurate and conformed with their creation beliefs.

No, it’s ‘people from other provinces’ (外省人), but a change ‘people born outside (the country)’ as you suggest (外生人) could work :wink:

I’d have to “say” that I “often” get “pissed off” when I “read” all the “quotation marks” when Xinhua and China Daily “write” about “so-called Taiwan Independence”, “president”, local “elections” and of course “Taiwan Compatriots (Taibao)”. And they can quote me on that. Fuckers.

I think I might change this thread title to include Political Ploys like fear/war mongering. The Pro-Communist China KMT/PFP use it frequently. Before and after Chen was elected the first time they screamed war. After this election they screamed war in 2006 and try to spread fear in Taipei.

Speaking as one of the mods, I would prefer for that to be a separate thread: Crying ‘War!’

May I venture to suggest that in English one would usually say “on” if the word “island” or “isle” is mentioned, and “in” if it isn’t. e.g.
On the Isle of Wight
On the Isle of Man
On the Isle of Mull
On the island of Great Britain
On the island of Ireland
On Rhode Island
On North Island
On Green Island
On Orchid Island
but
In Ireland
In Great Britain
In Iceland (a country)
In Greenland (not a country)
In Trinidad
In Tobago
In Jamaica
In Grenada
In Taiwan

Except maybe with very small islands, e.g. (alternatively)
On Mull
On Skye
On Nevis
On Kinmen
On the Pescadores

I would say Taiwan is rather too big an island to say “on” unless you said “on the island of Taiwan.” Therefore, “on Taiwan” is indeed a somewhat artificial English construction designed at the time (by the KMT and their American backers) to stress that Taiwan was not a country, which it is not, in fact. The name of this country is the Republic of China. Of course most people do refer to it informally as Taiwan, but try asking people from Jinmen or Mazu whether they are Taiwanese.

How about Hispaniola, which is a country with two countries on it? Hmm. I think one would say “on Hispaniola.” To some extent, it is a matter of preference.

[quote=“Juba”]May I venture to suggest that in English one would usually say “on” if the word “island” or “isle” is mentioned, and “in” if it isn’t. e.g.
On the Isle of Wight
On the Isle of Man
On the Isle of Mull
On the island of Great Britain
On the island of Ireland
On Rhode Island
On North Island
On Green Island
On Orchid Island
but
In Ireland
In Great Britain
In Iceland (a country)
In Greenland (not a country)
In Trinidad
In Tobago
In Jamaica
In Grenada
in Taiwan

Except maybe with very small islands, e.g. (alternatively)
On Mull
On Skye
On Nevis
On Kinmen (Jinmen)
On the Pescadores

I would say Taiwan is rather too big an island to say “on” unless you said “on the island of Taiwan.” Therefore, “on Taiwan” is indeed a somewhat artificial English construction designed at the time (by the KMT and their American backers) to stress that Taiwan was not a country, which it is not, in fact. The name of this country is the Republic of China. Of course most people do refer to it informally as Taiwan, but try asking people from Jinmen or Mazu whether they are Taiwanese.

How about Hispaniola, which is a country with two countries on it? Hmm. I think one would say “on Hispaniola.” To some extent, it is a matter of preference.[/quote]

Juba, nice post! With your list you have cleared up this matter. If one was to use “ON” Taiwan it would be Politically Loaded indeed and an obvious ploy to degrade the status of Taiwan.

egh, what happened to an entire page of this thread?

That would be understandable. ROC represents Republic of China. If it their stance to be pro-unification with China, why is it wrong to say to be “of China”? Also, they address Taiwan by its official name, nothing wrong with that.

The off-topic posts were, um, sapping and impurifying the thread, so out they went.

I think I forgot to include “Separatist”. This was used by the poster Cmdjing to call anyone who is against forced invasion and forced Unification. Granted Cmdjing is a PRC citizen and they use slightly different rhetoric, but it it might be picked up by the KMT which are the PRC/PLA/CCP allies in Taiwan. Of course Taiwan is already separate from the PRC in all ways, actually even more ways than most countries. A varient on this is Splittist, also more favored by the PRC but surely to used by the KMT soon. Again Taiwan and the PRC were never together, so no one is trying to split them as they are already two separate countries, there is nothing to split.

Quit putting words into my mouth Hobart. When I use the term separatist, it is not to describe anyone who is against a forced invasion or forced reunification. I am using it precisely as it is meant to be used, a separatist is anyone who wishes to proclaim an independent nation of Taiwan. I myself am against an invasion or a forced reunification (coerced is another story though) of Taiwan. However, Taidu is not to be tolerated and while I object to the use of force, I am not against it should it become neccessary due to separatist elements. Splittist is also an acceptable term for this, but it is somewhat ungainly in English. Another term I favour is a schismatic.

So I take it you had no objections to the massacre of the students at Tiananmen, nor would you hesitate to support further violent suppression of anyone else in China who dared suggest a multi-party democracy? Do you agree with your governement’s violent suppression of all and any dissent, yes or no?

[quote=“hsiadogah”]Excellent thread.
I now simply call them Waiguoren, since China is another country. Having an ROC passport doesn’t make someone born in a China a Taiwanese, any more than it would make me a Taiwanese.[/quote]

Yeah well the immigration officer at the airport keep getting angry when I stand in the ROC line only. So I guess what you say is true, but then again mainlanders can’t get to go thru there, whereas I can, but only after a bunfight hehehehe

I always have to ask them if they’ve seen an ROC passport before… always confuses them, and the people behind me snigger away lol

Well when I coerce you at the point of a gun you won’t object then. Taiwan is independent, just you won’t admit that people here do not want to live under the Communist money hungry China.

China is over there and Taiwan is here. You can swim across if you like.

When people here like to tell me my Guo Yu is very good I always remind them that it should be as my Guo Yu is English… native language lol Wo de wei yu yieh hai putzuo

You are all capitalist [color=red]running dogs[/color]!