Poll: Do you appreciate Family Mart/7-11's being clean and safe?

It’s your opinion
I have lived in two Western European countries for more than 50 years between the two countries and 5 in Taiwan, the only thing less safe here is the traffic otherwise I would never return to Europe.

in Europe, France, Spain, Italy, England, Germany, etc it’s full the pickpockets and scammers and if you are a tourist even worse for you

3 Likes

Is this a serious question? Have you never been to a dive bar?

Night markets also have their fans (though not me).

Guy

1 Like

:banana: :partying_face:

The meth here is clean. Meth heads just want to hug/touch you or continue on with their fixations here haha. Other countries havent figure out how to take a scourge and make it an economical positive :wink:

2 Likes

I’m curious what part of Europe you’re in. Taipei is considerably safer than any major European city I’m familiar with, even those that don’t have much of a crime problem like Berlin.

1 Like

Maybe it’s just one of those out of touch Europeans who think Europe can do no wrong lol.

This topic makes it feel like convenience stores in Taiwan are some kind of “safe heaven” compared to no other place.

That’s certainly not true: There’s also lots of arguing and shouting going on in these places and last year some of the clerks have been attacked for various reason (the mask mandate might probably be one of the leading causes).

Does that mean I feel unsafe when visiting a convenience store in Taiwan? Definitely not.

But do I find myself yearning for the safety of a Taiwanese convenience store when walking through a random city in Europe? Nope…

The only instance where I really felt unsafe in a store was once when I was visiting the US and ate at a burger place in Las Vegas and some (obviously drunk) guy came in and started shouting and attacking people waiting in line because he didn’t want to wait. I admit that one of my first thoughts in that situation might be that he might actually have a gun on him or something. Maybe in that situation I would have preferred to be in a Taiwanese convenience store.

Or when some stray dogs / guard dogs (?) in the mountains near Taipei started chasing me. Yeah - a convenience store would have been great there!

So my point being: Yes, probably Taiwan is more “safe” (whatever that means: Drug related crimes, pickpocketing, homicides, gang-related fights, …?). But at least to me, it’s not like I would feel much more “unsafe” in Europe compared to the average 711 in Taiwan :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I only half joke ever in the US that you don’t want to antagonize a driver, though that’s no a laughing matter. But there’s always watermelon knives in Taiwan…

How many MORE school children were shot in Texas the other day? With the most NRA-supported American suggestion that “we need to arm more teachers”? Yeah Americans don’t give a shit about any form of violence until they or their immediate family is on the receiving end

1 Like

Since you asked, I’m glad of it, but I’ve never noticed before, and it doesn’t strike me as of interest for any reason. So, not really possible for me to answer that poll…

1 Like

Ya, thats the sad truth. And not just in the USA. How many here care about pollution til they get lung cancer or organ failures? How many care about driver skill and safety measures til their kid dies? How many care about china blowing us up and at least dont pay china to do so through our purhases? Its the same problem. It seems more species related than culture even. Its the core of why i like to sarcastically joke about humans are not intelligent, just merely educated. Albiet not well as a whole.

The states mass children murder situation runs far deeper than simply guns, unfortunately. They are tools that certainly help but other tools are even better. Look at car bombs/suicide bombs as an example. Psychotic psychologies are something that isnt being taken serious on any meaningful measure. Mostly just a business model. Pretty unintelligent for “the best” country in the world. Or “the best” species in the world. But hey, ego rarely listens to reason.

1 Like

Circle K hasn’t operated in Taiwan for 17 years.

1 Like

OK!

Guy

1 Like

Now that’s a different tier.

2 Likes

You are changing the goalpost but ok.

It’s not the same problem. In most other countries these problems are trending downwards. Mass shootings are increasing in America.

The question which started this topic was literally:

What I wrote can be summed up as a direct answer to that question: No, for me this level of safety (more or less!) is what I am used from living in Europe. So no, I don’t think about this topic usually.

1 Like

Its not the same methodology, sure. But the problem seems pretty much the same worldwide. Wilful denial of well known realities that are detrimental to our health and well-being. This has gone up, not down. Perhaps only the use of guns to murder children specifically has gone down in some countries other than the US, but the psychology of complacent denial is spreading faster than covid. Many countries murder children on mass scale, just maybe not with guns.

There are many maybe in the future

1 Like

As far EU depends? Berlin I feel safe on the trains/trams or late night places, Paris is OK for me but I heard from other Taiwanese some bad things (theft and Paris has some high crime areas). Cities in the Americas (N & S) seems the least safe.

That story is now about 16 months old.

It looks like the proposed sale didn’t go anywhere.

Guy