Poll: Do you appreciate Family Mart/7-11's being clean and safe?

Well I only choose those two if no 7 or Family is in the area. I guess if all four are next to each other a high percentage of Taiwanese will choose 7 or Family?

1 Like

Sometimes not so safe.

1 Like

Am i the only one who finds te name ironically funny in a Canadian company? Couche-tard .
Haha, going to start calling my woke canadian friends that to see their reaction.

Shhh . What happens in Pingtung, stays in pingtung. There are some sensitive folks here that dont want to hear about such negative situations :innocent: Ligang has amazing grades of river dredge, nothing wrong there.

1 Like

I’ve been to convenience stores in several countries. Of all the countries, the ones in Taiwan seem to be the least safe in many regards (especially when compared to other East Asian countries such as Japan, Korea, and China).

Several times over the past month or two I’ve been confronted by a crazy person in front of my 7-Eleven. This person is spouting nonsense, nothing that I can understand (or anyone else for that matter). I’ve been challenged to a fight, in Taiwanese, in the same store by a different drunk dude. I took on the fight, much to the chagrin of the staff (who noted that it would not be a good idea and would likely result in me being in trouble).

We have all seen the news reports about staff in convenience stores being assaulted with knives over things like wearing masks. On the other hand, in Western countries, the only time I ever felt challenged or uncomfortable was when kids under 18 would ask me to help them buy smokes.

1 Like

At least we don’t have this problem.

3 Likes

You’ve never encountered weirdos at convenience stores anywhere in the US? I think I have a truck stop weirdo story for every single tournament and training trip I ever took when I was in hs and college. Not always dangers to us, but certainly more than a few instances where our coach told us to hurry the eff up and get back on the bus. I mean, Taiwan has the issue of being a late night kind of culture, so gathering at a 7 or Family because you want to fight someone as entertainment does happen, but the US also has its share of people you should absolutely avoid at convenience stores.

3 Likes

Impossible - Taiwanese people are so “friendly” to foreigners.

(I’m being sarcastic - I personally know 3 people who have been beaten up by gangs just for being white. I think “racially motivated attack” charges don’t exist here.)

1 Like

Who won? :thinking:

1 Like

Not really, or not that I recall. That being said, I haven’t spent much time in the US, to be honest. I have been told that I look fairly intimidating, not sure about that though. As a male, I suppose I have avoided some of the seedier elements, or may have been oblivious. I’m pretty good at putting on my blinders in social situations.

Haha, good question. I guess I won, since the bloke püßîéd out. He was so drunk (and/or insane) that it wouldn’t have taken much to knock him out. Not that I would have, but I don’t take well to that kind of aggressive b.s. Or, maybe, I actually give them the reaction they’re looking for (up until the point of actually getting physical: something I wouldn’t do).

:bowing:

2 Likes

But dive bars are because of cheap drinks and possibly cheap to free
Women I thought

Like I said, dirty and dangerous.

1 Like

Maybe owner of this Hi Life is happy

1 Like

I’m not quite as enthusiastic as @Chris’s post below, but I lean somewhat in that direction:

I gotta admit, at times it’s made my life easier.

1 Like

Is this a serious question? Would you go to a rat-infested dive bar where they never clean their beer glasses and toilet?

If it’s good enough for Tom Waits, it’s good enough for me.

1 Like

Hell yeah!

Beware of gonorrhea then. I guess you also prefer STI to … no STI?