Poll: Is this offensive?

Only offensive to the Cartman’s of the world.

1 Like

How about this one?

“We find most folks choose Redneck® because it tastes good, every time. We hope you think so too.”

download

747612bc-b862-407a-926a-af01b9e0eb3c

It is offensive because they are torturing and killing their buddy. Like “Happy Cow”. False advertising :stuck_out_tongue:

As a business decision, it downgrades its appearance for sure on that label. But because the issues would only be towards white people and pigs, I doubt very much there would be a lot of cancelling being handed down. Is that company owned by a black person?

No not by a long shot. Looks like the company has distribution in 9 states.

9c68b103-5340-4324-8a69-3151bce6217f

https://app.mt.gov/madeinmontana/Business/Details/7934

1 Like

White people can mock white then. The issue with say black people toothpaste is that it is one skin color judging another. Not agreeing for or against, it all gets silly. but it’s obvious what gets one cancelled.

To be honest, the picture of the owners proves they have every right to have that packaging!

1 Like

I think you’ll have a hard time creating a list of rules of who can do what. Some of it is the common sense that comes with context. I don’t find redneck offensive, but Aunt Jemima saying “temptilatin’ lunch chilluns love” is offensive because it is clearly mocking the lack of education of rural southern blacks at that time. There are clear reasons why.

Likewise, cartoons of native Americans are particularly sensitive because thousands of them were slaughtered throughout history. I think people would similarly find any caricature/cartoon of a Jewish person offensive because of the obvious historical context.

So you know common sense, a knowledge of history usually comes into play, not a set of rules.

Maybe they should choose a caricature closer to home and then let the customers decide if it is offensive.

1 Like

download (2)

What’s negative about it? Is there something racist about native Americans drinking coffee that I am unaware of?

The drawing is also not a negative stereotype.
Is the rule now that you cannot draw anyone of another race or something?

The only thing I am offended by is by how crap of a drawing it is.

1 Like

Is being an organ grinder supposed to be an offensive stereotype about Italian Americans? La Guardia must have been using his Italian privilege when he banned them from the streets of New York.

If you’re going to look for a set of rules, then perhaps a career in marketing is not for you.

Agreed. What I am saying is if a first nations person uses a first nation cartoon, it would logically be ok. same with the white guys using redneck. That’s why I was asking/joking if the redneck thing was black owned, changes the situation on cancellation opinions.

there are no rules in the free market. but there are good and bad decisions that lead to making money or losing money.

So, if something is offensive to some people ,even a small number, and they raise a stink about it…it can hurt. So the question for that boss is: Even if I dont find it offensive, do other people find it offensive?

As it turns out, enough people did find the product offensive enough to cause worry.

1 Like

:thinking:

https://www.happycow.net/

I realize they also list mixed veg and non-veg restaurants, but “false advertising” is a bit of a stretch.

Were you thinking of a laughing cow, perhaps?

To answer you directly, the product looks like its Italian and sold in Italy. Do you think Italians have the same woke culture as Americans. Unlikely.

And to the larger point about marketing, large companies following woke sensibilities is awful. I for one can’t wait for this trend to be over. It was getting hard to watch tv when I was back in the UK due to the TV adverts now being so over the top with the “diversity”.

2 Likes

If you’re waiting for the trend of people being offended and companies making money off those people to be over, you’ll be waiting awhile.

5 years ago it was all about feminism and fat body positivity, don’t see that anymore. It’s moved on to race. People will get sick of that too eventually.

Or you were overloaded on the red pill content. I don’t thinking stereotyping races will become a popular marketing strategy. They’re out to make a profit after all.

I don’t think the question is literally about a explicit rule, rather what’s the racist aspect of the image.
Do you know?

1 Like