Poll on who will prepare your 2022 Chinese New Years Meal? (You can choose up to two)

• Yourself
  • Takeaway meal
  • Family member will cook
  • Eat out somewhere
  • A friend will cook
  • other

0 voters

2 Likes

Depends what covid does in the next few days! Probably my mother-in-law. But if the family cancels the evening, I’ll cook at home and will completely ignore the occasion.

1 Like

KFC for me!

5 Likes

Option 7-11 is missing

2 Likes

7-11 = eat out or takeaway (if you bring it home)

3 Likes

I bought frozen so technically speaking is sort of take out but since I have to heat it up it counts as “cooking”.

4 Likes

KFC kinda sucks in Taiwan. Apart from its egg tarts McDonalds has everything KFC has and they do it better.

I disagree. :slight_smile: Mcdonalds is awful. They will not get a dollar from me.

2 Likes

KFC still seals their drinks in plastic top like tea places, except carbonated drinks shouldn’t be sealed this way. Then they don’t provide straws because of the plastic straw ban, and without a straw it’s very hard to drink from those types of cups. At least McDonalds engineered new covers that enables you to drink without needing straws. KFC have yet to adopt that.

2 Likes

So? Peel the plastic off.

5 Likes

Hellava nothing to get peeved about.

4 Likes

Unless you’re one of those before people on the infomercials.

2 Likes

Wife’s mom will cook the majority of it, and my wife, and her sister in law will bring a dish each. This is the first year my wife will be bringing her own dish so I’m hoping I can have something a bit western added to the menu

2 Likes

Don’t take anything western as your wife’s first try. She will be labeled as a shit cook forever because you know they won’t like it.

6 Likes

Just say no. Don’t go.

Discussing which is less shitty: mcdonalds or kfc. Might be time to buy a hotplate and a pan :wink: i wish you both god speed during this time of Taipeis emptiness!

2 Likes

Still, gotta admit his lpic is spot on. Plus they sell pepsi, not coke…so like…doomed to failure…

To be fair i can only eat fries at either place and kfc absolutely demolishes mcdonalds on fries. But the are still fairly shyte!

I am bit surprised, no one has a friend will cook. I know a few local EU & Japanese friends will go eat at their Taiwanese friends family house or gather with friends if no local family. When I was in Ireland, I went to meals at friends (family) house and have some good (and also some strange ones too) food.

2 Likes

[The opinions here are my own and are reflective of my own experience]

The kind of Christian/Catholic-style charity you find at Christmas time doesn’t seem to be a thing in Taiwan during the holiday season. Chinese New Year, from this perspective appears to be about only family and you really can only join if you’re super close or married into the family. All 7 days. Only with family. I’m surprised I don’t see more familes at each other’s throats by the end of the holiday.

I often invited Chinese friends over for Italian-Canadian Christmas and hung out with them during the holidays, but it’s been a real culture shock to see your friends have literally 0 time in what is arguably the biggest time of celebration in Taiwan. Are friends not important here?

Christmas celebrates family AND friends. And if you’re Italian, friends ARE family.

6 Likes

For most families at least the first three days are fully occupied with family stuff (if they stay in Taiwan ). After that they might take a holiday or freestyle it. Taipei is not representative of the rest of the country though. Over the last twenty years many seem to just stay there.

1 Like