POLL: Survey of favorite kinds of food by national origin in Taiwan that you eat

No. I’m poking fun. :v:

I selected “Indian” BUT there really aren’t many good Indian restaurants in South Taiwan. There’s one I like in Pingtung City and that’s about it.

What about K Town? No good Indian or Pakistani places?

Guy

I like Dennis and another near the Culture (aka CKS) centre that are cheap places, not higher priced ones others like.

I don’t really understand this poll/thread.

Is it our favorite ethnic/national foods to eat in general?

Or are favorite ethnic/national foods to eat in Taiwan?

Example: Mexican is top of my list, but eating Mexican food in Taiwan is generally disappointing.

Edit: Ok I see it’s IN Taiwan but that’s a narrow list. Since non-Asian food is overall disappointing IN Taiwan.

2 Likes

Near Kaohsiung Cultural Center (sorry, the CKS part is long gone), are you thinking of Lahore (拉合爾異國美食)? I have not eaten there, so I don’t know about the food—but I am immediately put off by the many positive fake reviews on google map (tons of folks with one review to their name, singing the praises of this place).

Guy

1 Like

Yes, this one. Nice guy (speaks a few languages!) and sometimes just go buy the bread Chapati as take away as fresh bread. (I can sit on scooter/bike while waiting and chat with him or customers who ask where I am from and before I finish my story the food is done). They have nice Frankie/Burritos also.

Also this poll, its interesting to see many people click Indian food since not many places in Taiwan in General and as Japanese nice too see its on top but much of Japanese food is localized (They are some good ones though)

2 Likes

In the same district of K Town, what do you think of Rawat Indian Kitchen (拉瓦特印度廚房)?

I have to revisit soon to check these places out. :yum:

Guy

I have never been there, its not near the Culture Park but close to 85/ there is another Indian place near 85 I like (nice staff South Asian guy and girl who speaks great Japanese/English) which I will search the name.

1 Like

Indian and Pakistani food—one of the world’s great cuisines. It’s nice to see quite of few people seem to enjoy it.

Guy

2 Likes

Yes, and more younger local Taiwanese eat it. Also other South-Central Asian like Bek's Uzbek Cuisine (貝克的烏茲別克美食) - #11 by DKaoshuing

Yes! I remember that post. Can’t wait to check it out!

Guy

1 Like

haha[quote=“afterspivak, post:78, topic:220455, full:true”]
Yes! I remember that post. Can’t wait to check it out!

Guy
[/quote]

haha, after checking it is the same. 拉瓦特印度廚房 Rawat, decent food and as mentioned nice staff.

Another good one is Goon’s Bistro, near MinZu TRA station (local only), small allley location and nice French/EU pastry and Patisserie madeleine 馬德琳糕點, make sure you call both places before you go to make sure they are open.

2 Likes

Not in my experience, but maybe I went to the wrong places. I’ve had 3 or 4 in Kaohsiung over the years. There might be a newer, better one I’m not aware of.

1 Like

So any difference with the food from the rest of Ireland? Ulster Fry sounds local.

It’s a great question. But I don’t know the answer. I’m English, and our traditional cuisine is dire.

1 Like

I don’t know, tikka masala is pretty good.

1 Like

Invented by a Bangladeshi, in Scotland, based on recipes from the Punjab.

But it’s Britain’s national dish!

I miss it in Taiwan

1 Like