Poll: Which convenience store do you support the most?

Like that saying. Id like to be the fly on the wall when…

Convenience store emloyees haha. And they can actually tell the stories.

I like to give them a pass when they seem fully tuned out, the stuff they see must be insane over time.

1 Like

I just watched them go at it. Guy’s on the ground bleeding, another guy just beating him with a metal chair. Employee called the cops.

Sansia is a lovely place.

3 Likes

Sounds like a jolly good time.

Usually no. And there are three or four that I frequent. Plus if there’s no Latvian ice cream or good beer, I may go a few weeks without entering one.

I don’t disagree with that.

But it’s not like City Cafe is going to win any prizes either. :face_vomiting:

Guy

2 Likes

I find it, quite frankly, perturbing that the entrance jingle for FamilyMart is different for Japan than it is in Taiwan. At least, this was true in my experience.

The timing is different.

Timing is everything.

Some things however are the same in Japan and in Taiwan:

7-11 (generally speaking) for savoury stuff;

Family Mart (generally speaking) for sweets.

Guy

1 Like

SimpleMart and Carrefour Market are the two places I go most often, both are 24 hours and very close by…

2 Likes

711 for the morning coffee.
Family for being the last place to carry Coke in big cans. I won’t drink pop out of plastic bottles. (I’m not a water drinker).

7-11 because they have more selection than the others. It’s still not as good as American gas/convenient stores like weebs claim but close lol.

Some Brit/Commonwealther once said “Stella Artois… the wife-beater beer”

2 Likes

Not only do they recognise me, all the staff remember my phone number, but it is 2mins from my house and i would have to pass it to go to family mart.

2 Likes

Whatever is closest. If it’s a tossup, I will generally go to 7-11 or FM over the others.

1 Like

I would put Carrefour Market in the category of grocery store rather than convenience store, but SimpleMart really straddles the line well. I’m impressed by how much stuff they can cram in such small spaces. Same with EEC, which I love because SE Asian stuff is way better than Taiwanese stuff.

3 Likes

I always thought it was for young women who don’t like the taste of real beer, so they want a cheap watery pilsener, but they also want to be seen drinking something perceived as fancier than that. That has always seemed to be their target demo in the US, anyway.

5 Likes

Certain convenience store chains in the US have really upped their game in the past decade or two, but until you can pay bills, get concert tickets, pick up deliveries, buy underwear, and drink draft beer at them, you can’t compare them to Taiwan’s.

2 Likes

Usually if the 711 employees can recognise you, they’re often likely to special order for you if asked.

2 Likes

Same here!
Family Mart is just downstairs!
Why would I go anywhere else?

2 Likes

I’m surprised there’s no “whatever is closest to my present location” option. That’s what I do. Except near work. The tea eggs at the 7 closest to my work are far superior to the tea eggs at the FM near my work (they don’t even crack them, so they’re basically hard boiled eggs with dark brown shells. They call themselves Taiwanese?), but there’s a better chocolate selection at the FM near my work than the 7.
Everywhere else it’s “what’s the nearest convenience store?”

5 Likes

In England it is marketed as, “Reassuringly Expensive,” and aimed at men. They don’t tend to market beer/ lager/pilsner towards women here. As @KHHville correct stated, it’s got a reputation here for being drunk by dodgy characters.

1 Like