Poll: Which convenience store do you support the most?

The eggs there are the least of your worries.

Anything that touches the worker’s hands should be disinfected immediately. :rofl:

Guy

OK Mart has the best beer

1 Like

And cheap booze

小七 for their giant NT$70 lattes.

Yes, I like the strong ones

1 Like

Booze does also seem to be a deal breaker when choosing where to go.

1 Like

There seems to be little rhyme or reason to how the beer and booze selections vary even from 7 to 7 or FM to FM.

3 Likes

Our local 7/11 has a very pretty cashier , who smiles , so I prefer it to the local family mart which has an angry middle aged guy serving who scowls.

11 Likes

Yes that’s true, comes from the 80’s when was one of the first imported strong light/lager beers 5%abv into U.K. served in pubs.
Brits not used to it and get violent with wife’s in the pub.

5% is strong? What were they before then?

For lagers things like Fosters and Castlemaine XXXX. Less than 4 percent. Bitters even weaker.

It was quite a shock when Stella Artois, Beck’s, Lowenbrau etc suddenly rocked up.

1 Like

And here I am drinking the 12%… :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

That’s interesting. In the US we always make fun of mass-produced American lagers for being weak, and they are 4.5-6%. A few conservative states in the middle of the country used to have 3.2%, which was basically a holdover from Prohibition. It wasn’t even thought of as real beer (legally called “non-intoxicating” and colloquially called “near beer”), and is thankfully gone now. We always thought you Europeans (yes, that included Brits) drank strong stuff for some reason.

I seem to remember most near beer having even less alcohol than that, but my memory’s a little hazy.

Back in the 80s beer in the UK was generally weak as piss

1 Like

Well, 3.2 was the legal upper limit, but I think they usually tried to be near that. It was also called “three two”. This is in the 80s through 2000s that I’m talking about. I want to say it was only in Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, and Utah. Something like that. Laws varied by state, but usually you could buy real beer (6.0% or “six point”) only in liquor stores, and 3.2 in convenience and grocery stores. At one point in some places you only had to be 18 to buy 3.2 but 21 to buy real beer.

Utah was the last to get rid of it, fairly recently, because every other state had ditched it and the major breweries weren’t willing to keep making it for just one state.

1 Like

The Family Mart door chime is an absolute banger. :ok_hand::100::fire:

7 Likes

5% isnt a strong beer…what the actual phuck? Brits need to step up or step down it seems.

If 5% beer is the excuse for beatin a spouse, yall got more serious problems…

2 Likes

7 coffee > Family coffee. plus the oatmilk latte is really good, especially iced, for us non-dairy drinking folk. it actually inspired me to order a case, got 6 liters of oatly waiting for me at home… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I gotta say, oatley milk is pretty damn good! I liked i t in a latte as well when they carried it. dont understand how the recent oat milk fad in taiwan is getting away with this atrocious price fixing BS, but it is really quite a nice drink!

3 Likes

agreed. i get 6 liters for 1000nt on momo or shopee. it’s a bit better price and goes a long way if you just add a splash to your coffee like i do. or i steam it up if i’m feeling fancy.

1 Like

Interesting. May have been different on the West Coast.