Postponement of Payday

Can my employer legally postpone payday until the 15th of the following month. If not, where can I find the law and how do I enforce it?

I too would like to know, but I know in England monthly salaries are usually paid a month in arrears.

Read:

bola.taipei.gov.tw/exposition.asp

Then post … :sunglasses:

On the last day of the month, not 2 weeks later.
This is Taiwan, where your employer can do what the hell he wants. Unless you’re Taiwanese, you can’t get any laws enforced, even if they do exist.

1 Like

Oh… you guys are too flexible. A long time ago my boss tried borrowing some money to pay some kind of “Bond”.

(This was before I was married to a Taiwanese and future spouse had management and legal experience so… I could really be pushed around too much. )

Any way… I was like that annoying mouse in the cartoons that would not quit… every coffee break, every spare moment… “when ya gonna pay me… it’s illegal to do what you are doing” You can’t borrow my money with out paying interetst… Oh those things you are doing here and there are not legal… My father in law is sending me to the labor department… "
I got my money…

I got paid late in the next month but that was an agreed upon pay day… Later would have caused serious problems…

It’s standard to get paid on either the 5th or the 10th of the following month, so the 15th is a bit rough, but not too far out.

Brian

Date doesn’t bother me too much, as long as it’s consistant. Anyway, at our primary school, full time teachers get paid on the 15th of the month, and part time teachers get paid on the 5th. Why the different dates you ask? Apparently two different budgets. It’s been the same there for 3 years I been there.

Whoops… misread the original post. The tenth, fifteenth or any date you agree upon is ok.

Please… be aware… if your boss is driving around in a BMW and then tells you… sorry… “we need to show that we have so much money in the bank… so I ask all the employees to take half your pay this month and pay you back next month”.

That’s a no-no. Especially if you the employee have a mortgage, bank cd’s and have no available extra cash".

Is the bank going to understand that you can’t pay your CD?

I’ve seen it more than a few times. I got to stop reflexively trashing the locals… Things are better now. The war is over. Sorry.

I don’t speak Chinese very well. Can somebody post current laws about this?

Management decided to move our payday from 10th to 25th without notice. Explanation does not make too much sense. They want it to be on the same day as our China branch.

I don’t live from paycheck to paycheck, but this is inconvenient. Most people have payments around 15th to make.

I was told the payday is on 10th when taking this job.

Is the pay day date listed in your contract?

no

Then they gonna do whatever they want

Is your job subject to the Labor Standards Act?

Yes. Full time at medium sized tech company. Pay taxes + labor and health insurance. Family ARC.

By default – if there’s nothing about it in the contract or the work rules (do check the work rules btw) – they need to pay you twice per month.

http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=N0030001

And yet, if you agreed to be paid once per month, it’s legitimate. Oral agreements are valid in most cases.

Changing the agreement requires your consent, of course, so you have the right to complain. The labor department can arrange mediation for you (and your colleagues if applicable). If you’re not satisfied with the result of mediation, my advice is to request a labor inspection (which you can do anonymously, though if you’re the only one who complained they would probably figure it out).

If your employer is obstinate enough, this will… take some time to resolve. :roll:

2 Likes

Thank you for that detailed reply.
Seems like some colleagues already complained about it. We will see what happens in the next days.

I would agree if there are some good reasons for this. But changing it without our agreement and without notice is ridiculous. Our company does not appear to have financial issues.
The next payday was supposed to be in 10 days and we have to wait 25 days for that money now.

Btw, mediation usually takes a week or two to arrange if you agree to let a “civic group” do it (arranged by the labor department). It takes slightly longer if you ask the labor department itself to provide the mediator, but that’s what they recommend for large groups, and it’s what I recommend in general – expect a more knowledgeable, more motivated mediator that way.

I would suggest agreeing to the switch in exchange for a one-time bonus, up front. :idunno:

Wait, for the previous month’s work?

Yes, we were told today the the previous months salary and all following will be paid on 25th instead of 10th. Salary would have been due in 10 days.

The 25th is outrageous in any case. I’m sure the Labor people would be very interested.