'Power' move by male students ruffles U. of C

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/chi-u-of-c-mens-groupmay19,0,4707353.story

[quote]A group of University of Chicago students think it’s time the campus focused more on its men.

A third-year student from Lake Bluff has formed Men in Power, a student organization that promises to help men get ahead professionally. But the group’s emergence has been controversial, with some critics charging that its premise is misogynistic.

Others say it’s about time men are championed, noting that recent job losses hit men harder and that women earn far more bachelor’s and master’s degrees than do men.

“It’s an enormous disparity now,” said Warren Farrell, author of “The Myth of Male Power” and former board member of the New York chapter of the National Organization for Women. He noted, among other things, an imbalance in government and private initiatives that advance the interests of women and girls…

Saltarelli hopes Men in Power will help more men get ahead while raising awareness of the male experience.

“If we have good men in our society, everyone benefits,” he said.[/quote]

What’s is this “male experience” I need to understand. Is a sign of a functioning society based on the quality of men? If so, what constitutes a “quality” man?

Just having “good” human beings should be enough but evidently not for some…

:laughing: Retards! Bless their special uniqueness. Do they have a clubhouse?

Women earning the same as men in the US yet, Nama? They aren’t in the UK.

Most likely those guys were also members of the campus Young Republicans club and ROTC and resented that others mocked them for it, or they are divorced and still seething over the fact that they had to split everything 50/50 with their wives and were forced to pay alimony and child support, or they’re simply misfits and losers who were never invited to any parties and never advanced like all the golden boys and girls and blame all of their woes on the lefties, liberals, environmentalists and affirmative action and cripples and homos who get everything handed to them for free, when it’s the hardworking white men, the salt of the earth, who work so hard and are the backbone of our society and have been abandoned, neglected and mistreated, so it’s about time someone stood up and fought for their rights.

:unamused:

[quote=“Buttercup”]:lol: Retards! Bless their special uniqueness. Do they have a clubhouse?

Women earning the same as men in the US yet, Nama? They aren’t in the UK.[/quote]

Women earning the same as men in the US is :roflmao:

MT

I think that’s the subtext of it :laughing: but there are women in the club and who knows how many “minorities”.

There’s not a single woman playing on a major league basketball, football or baseball team either and that’s just not fair. Their oughta be a law! (Well, there are several laws designed to “level the playing field” but they’re just not working so we need more.)

I know that’s in jest but it makes a point. I can’t understand how some college softball pitchers haven’t been picked up by the major leagues,yet.

They probably also need to compensate for a certain… ahem… shortcoming…

The painful irony is that these “good men” seem oblivious to the reason we have organizations such as the National Organazation for Women, or other such organizations for other minorities.

This kind of thing just mystified me when I first returned to the States. Really, I don’t think the US has always been this way. No one over here ever seems to THINK about anything. Everyone seems to feel so damned entitled to whatever crosses his/her fancy. I’ve become used to being suprised by this now, but I still get suprised, just the same. It’s very frightening, when one THINKS about it, that the most powerful nation on earth is populated with sheeple, but a THINKING man is a rare commodity in these parts and times.

I think a “good man” is one with sense enough to think this through a little. Maybe it’s a good thing, though. If you’re looking for a good man, you can already weed out an entire group of not-so-good ones from the U of C.

I could be wrong but I think women are the majority in the U.S. I also could be wrong but I think white women are the wealthiest group in the U.S.

Harumph!

I could be wrong but I think women are the majority in the U.S. I also could be wrong but I think white women are the wealthiest group in the U.S.

Harumph![/quote]

You could be right, but it hasn’t always been that way! In general, women here are NOT paid the same as men for the same credentials and same job. And women in American have had to fight very hard for what has been achieved–it still is not equality, but it’s much better than it was, yes. And no woman is going to appologize for that.

So quick to judge. Based on the article, I don’t see anything with what this organization actually does that I have a problem with. The name is a little racy but so what? There’s organizaitons that promote any demographic you can think of so why not a general men’s one? Especially when the jobs most associated with recession and job loss are ones traditionally held by men?

Honestly, why is it that any time someone suggests that men take some initiative and responsibility, and, well act like men, as the saying goes, people get all offended.

Harumph![/quote]

You could be right, but it hasn’t always been that way! In general, women here are NOT paid the same as men for the same credentials and same job. And women in American have had to fight very hard for what has been achieved–it still is not equality, but it’s much better than it was, yes. And no woman is going to appologize for that.[/quote]

I don’t “think” anyone is asking them to. It’s just that after thirty years it’s gotten a little old listening to the wealthiest, most privileged group of people on the face of the earth argue that they’re the only ones with the right to whine about how unfair life is.

Men bear the brunt of US jobs lost

The US recession has opened up the biggest gap between male and female unemployment rates since records began in 1948, as men bear the brunt of the economy’s contraction.

Hmm. Somehow, I didn’t get that from the article. Maybe I should re-read it. I think it’s silly for the men to be whinning, but I didn’t get a sense that women are saying that they’re the only ones with a right to whine. There is no shortage of shafted minorities in the States.

I don’t know about what constitutes a “quality” man, but I made a strong run for “Quality Guy” on this very site earlier this year.

I think I placed fourth; just behind the sexiest man in Taipei.

“Qualitiness” is next to “Godliness” in my dictionary.

How dare they start this group. They should be held up for ridicule by all expats the world over for starting this group.

Retards!

misfits and losers

members of the campus Young Republicans club and ROTC

white men

impotent, or at least just small

And that’s just two pages of posts.

Also apparently only a white man would be a part of this group. I didn’t read that from the article, but clearly, we must inject race into this debate…for what reason, I’m not sure. I guess we’ve just run out of names to call people, so now being white is an insult. Well F U too.

[quote=“redandy”]So quick to judge. Based on the article, I don’t see anything with what this organization actually does that I have a problem with. The name is a little racy but so what? There’s organizaitons that promote any demographic you can think of so why not a general men’s one? Especially when the jobs most associated with recession and job loss are ones traditionally held by men?

Honestly, why is it that any time someone suggests that men take some initiative and responsibility, and, well act like men, as the saying goes, people get all offended.[/quote]

You just don’t understand redandy. It’s not the group itself, it’s just the assumptions and stereotypes we can draw about the people that would join this group. Don’t you see that anyone who would join a group like this is either a)retarded, b) a misfit or loser c) a Republican or soldier d)white e)impotent or, most likely f)all of the above. Once you realize that it is pointless to actually talk about the groups ideas, and just start calling names, you’ll be much better off.

[quote]Retards!

misfits and losers

white men

impotent, or at least just small[/quote]
It all just seems so redundant, these insults. After all, its Americans they’re referring to.

Wah! Wah! Wah! Life is so unfair!

Wah! Wah! Wah! Life is so unfair![/quote]

It’s interesting you choose to ridicule this quote, but none of the numerous quotes in this thread about women lagging behind men. Do you disagree with this particular piece of information, or do you just think people should not point out non PC statistics?

[quote=“Byshguy”]How dare they start this group. They should be held up for ridicule by all expats the world over for starting this group.

Retards!

misfits and losers

white men

impotent, or at least just small

And that’s just two pages of posts.

Also apparently only a white man would be a part of this group. I didn’t read that from the article, but clearly, we must inject race into this debate…for what reason, I’m not sure. I guess we’ve just run out of names to call people, so now being white is an insult. Well F U too.[/quote]

Wah! Wah! Wah! How dare anyone voice an opinion on our little boys’ club. If we want to have a secret club we can do it and you can’t stop us.

…and then there’s all those “wymens” groups…whats that all aboot? :howyoudoin: