YOW!

That it’s been nice
Holey Hate!

Knowin’
Gosh O Blood!

All of you.

Leapin’ Lizards!

:pray:

Gee. I hope I didn’t pray that out loud just now.

:fume: I heard that. And as a side note, when did EYE get to be the patron saint of turtles, sunflower oil and displaced Canookian ESL streakers?

[quote=“zender”]You say, “It certainly can’t do any harm to anyone, and who knows… could do some good!”

The results of the first two groups were the same. Prayer didn’t help.

The third group performed significantly worse (More post-op complications) than the others.

nytimes.com/2006/03/31/healt … ted=1&_r=1[/quote]
I’ve known about this study for a while, and found it gratifying though anti-climactic; I mean, who really thought a scientific study might show that prayer worked in any quantifiable way? So can we not move on now, and admit that religion is useful as a social club for some as a means of affording comfort and identification with a peer group, but discard the revelatory and supernatural nonsense? Course, then it wouldn’t be religion anymore, it would just be a social club, wouldn’t it?

Sorry, wrong thread.

We’re in Canada now. We just had two friends from Taiwan over: husband Canuck, wife Taiwanese; husband atheist, wife fervent Christian convert. Same deal, she prayed silently before our meals with a bowed head, though one meal I asked her, in deference to her beliefs, to lead us in grace, and she did a two-minute show-stopper, blessing everything in sight. It was amusing to hear in Chinese what I sometimes hear from my relatives in English.

But what impressed me about our friends was that in spite of my initial misgivings about the seemingly overwhelming obstacle of their fundamentally different outlooks on life and the meaning of everything, they seem to get along and love each other. Granted, the wife is hell-bent (sorry) on eventually converting the husband, but still, they seem to have converged in a mutually acceptable way. Confounding, but interesting. Maybe it can work?

Scientifically speaking (sort of), how can we be sure the laws of the universe remain the same from day to day? Maybe one religion is true on Monday, another one on Tuesday, and so on. That would explain the prayer study results.

On the pilgrims vs. tourists issue, well, who decides who’s what? As a bona fide pilgrim, I want to go see the place when it’s quiet–not share it with a bunch of other tourists. And everyone else must feel the same way. How can we decide which of us is holy enough to get in free, or during the reserved times?

If only the local media thought as you do…

:noway: One of the greatest sources of human misery has been people who are hell-bent on converting others. And it’s a terribly disrespectful attitude.

I agree. If only we could all be filled with the grace of Krishna, the Supreme Personality of Godhead! Would you like to learn more about Lord Krishna? Try this link:

uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Bhagavad_Gita

Namaste and Hari Bol!

My prayers for rain have been answered!

“I pledge allegiance to the Christian Flag and to the Savior for whose Kingdom it stands. One Savior, crucified, risen, and coming again with life and liberty to all who believe.”

“I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God’s Holy Word, I will make it a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path and will hide its words in my heart that I might not sin against God.”

Say Amen, somebody!

Amen.

there’s a Christian flag?

I pray thee, Urodacus, what kind of frog is this with the wee orange warts on its shoulders? I couldn’t be bothered looking for “Ask Urodacus.”
It’s public, I’m praying, so its on topic.

So…on here…Christians who want to pray "in public’ and before their meals and such…are like…the new “niggers”?

Open season on ridicule and such?

Just asking?

Looks a lot like a Buergeria japonica, a Buerger’s small stream frog, which are the kind I used to keep. Well fed ones are a lot more golden yellow than that guy.

generally a very small frog, about 2-3 cm long. very cute, and with a piercing high-pitched single croak (and therefore difficult to locate by croak alone). They are found around Taipei in small rivers and streams and drains, also along the eastern coast, and across Okinawa and Iriomote. Tadpoles are exclusively algae eaters, with a very ventral mouth, though I have had limited success feeding them rotting lettuce fragments.

I have appealed to horses and drivers quite loudly in public, screaming at the top of my lungs actually on a few occasions, so I guess I can’t say anything about appealing to gods in public.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]So…on here…Christians who want to pray "in public’ and before their meals and such…are like…the new “niggers”?

Open season on ridicule and such?

Just asking?[/quote]

YES…at least in Kaohsiung, where they have it posted in public for slow people like you.