Pre employment health check

Is there any necessity to take any pre employment health check before joining a company in Taiwan?

It depends on what kind of job and how you are employed, but basically yes, iiuc.

It is regulated by Labor Health Protection Rules, unless other rules are applied, such as food safety etc.

1 Like

Do you know what health tests they are? Or share any document? I will be in IT related job.

it depends on how you are employed.

If you need a work permit, it is regulated by Regulations Governing Management of the Health Examination of Employed Aliens .
If you are employed as a white collar worker, it is exempted unless you are from one of certain countries.
If you are employed as a blue collar, Article 6 of the above law says which items are required.

If you don’t need a work permit, generally

1. Operation experience examination, past disease history, self-awareness symptoms.
  2. Height, weight, waistline measurement, eyesight, color identification, hearing, blood pressure, and physical examinations.
  3. Chest X-ray.
  4. Urine Protein and Occult Blood.
    5.Hemoglobin and white blood cell count.
  5. Blood sugar, ALT, creatinine, cholesterol, triglyceride, and HDL-C.
  6. Other necessary examinations.

You can use previous health examination within certain period depending on your age, and temporary worker etc are exempted.

If you have an APRC do you still need to have a health check done for a new job?

If you have an APRC, the same rules with locals are applied, so yes, unless you are exempted, iiuc.

1 Like

I have a gold card. So, I have work permit, resident visa and ARC already. So, I am assuming, I will need to take the tests you mentioned or do I also need to take these tests Regulations Governing Management of the Health Examination of Employed Aliens - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

I have never had to do a health check for a job in Taiwan.

If I fail in any of the items listed in Regulations Governing Management of the Health Examination of Employed Aliens - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan) what will happen?

It is to get a work permit, so isn’t aapplied to you. Iiuc

1 Like

Thanks for your response. But, if anyone fails in the exam, what will happen? After reading Regulations Governing Management of the Health Examination of Employed Aliens - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan) what I understand is, they will be re-examined after treatment. For example, it is written there

Serological test for syphilis: Obtain a Treatment Completion Certificate within 30 days from the next day after receiving the health examination certificate;

So, the foreigner will be able take treatment in Taiwan and submit the Treatment Completion Certificate. Or does it refer to previously taken treatment?

In case of failed item, will other things be considered too except Regulations Governing Management of the Health Examination of Employed Aliens - Article Content - Laws & Regulations Database of The Republic of China (Taiwan)

In your case, Articles 20 and 21 of Occupational Safety and Health Act are relevant, iiuc.

1 Like

I see. Thanks again for your response. But, do you know what would happen in this case? Pre employment health check - #11 by erfgt

I understand, it should not be relevant to me. But, still want to know.

Has anyone had their health check done recently? This website:

is of no help whatsoever. All the hospitals that are allegedly open told me “no health check for foreigners because of level 3”. In that case, why still require a health check for a work permit?!

Any leads on hospitals still issuing health checks would be gratefully appreciated! I have a job lined up, just this one bit of bureaucratic hoop jumping left to go…

You are already in Taiwan? Which visa category are you in? And, which health test are you talking about?

call immigration, they will tell you.

Currently in Taiwan and on a standard ARC. My current contract and ARC are both winding down soon. Problem is I need a health check to get a work permit to start working at my new school.

Later, I thought the law might be still applied to you even if you don’t need a work permit, so if your job is white collar, you may be exempted from the exam when you are employed. I’m not sure, though.

Everything, you could ask to Workforce Development Agency. They handle a work permit for most of non-school teachers and require health check certificate to issue the document.

I just had a new employer tell me I need to do this health check. I’m a white-collar worker (IT) with a marriage ARC. If I don’t need to do this, can someone show me where it says so so I can show the company? I had to do a similar check before someone to Taiwan to get the residence visa, I can’t imagine why I would have to do it again if I already have an ARC with open work rights.

I asked them if Taiwanese employees also have to do this and they said yes, but I’ve never heard of it.

Do you have a contract? If so read it over and see if it says you need one. If it does then sadly you might have to get it. I tried arguing it with my employer once, but they didn’t budge and I had to get one in the end.