Precautions when cycling in Taiwan during COVID

When I’ve almost blundered into webs like that, it’s been an instant lesson in optics and how our eyes (don’t) work. I’m looking at the ground a few meters ahead - and somehow that hand-sized spider at 10 o’clock, 20cm away from my head, is invisible. Then there’s a dramatic whip zoom and I’m suddenly in my own little horror movie.

One time walking a couple of meters off the much-missed South Cross-Island Highway (scootering - alas, I never rode a bicycle across that)… I don’t know HOW I avoided walking through a web or getting a spider on me. Once my eyes were focusing at the right distance, I realized I was surrounded by spiders at all heights and angles, except the gap I’d just walked through. Of course, this realization was, er, mid-stream, leaving me with limited options for getting the heck out of there.

What about snakes when cycling? Seen any in TAMSUI/yangming area?

The other day I felt bad about some generic brown-green snake, 40-50cm long, slithering across a busy road. If I knew it were safe I’d have tried to gently boot it into the grass, because that snake must have been splatted soon after.

I’ve seen a few live snakes while cycling, plenty of dead ones. I don’t know which are dangerous.

https://topics.amcham.com.tw/2020/07/about-taiwans-snakes/

1 Like

I did an experiment this morning. I had on a mask, and then I pulled the buff over the mask so it looked like I just had a buff over my mouth and nose. I figured if I got pulled over, I would pull down the buff and reveal the mask underneath. So I rode around for a bit and sure enough, there was a cop. I rode right in front of him. He didn’t even bat an eye. So I guess the buff counts as a mask, at least in Taipei city. :idunno:

4 Likes

Yesterday I went up Balaka, saw a dead green snake after about 20 meters, turned around and went on another route. I hate snakes :frowning:

1 Like

Or he just thought it was too ma fan to pull you over?

4 Likes

I commute into Xindian every day wearing a buff, no one has said anything so I think it’s cool. So much easier to breathe through too.

Don’t go poking “dead” snakes. Snakes are known to play dead.

Are the riverside bike paths in Taipei open?

1 Like

Yes! The water fountains are not working though, but you can get drinks from the vending machines.

2 Likes

Yes. I rode a long stretch on them last night, from Danshui to Guting. Most of the washrooms are open, but not all of them; all the vending machines seem to be working, but as far as I can tell none of them sell water! I didn’t notice any access routes that were taped off, although a few places like basketball courts were taped off.

2 Likes

The Heysong ones have water at 20ntd the bottle. The Coca-cola ones don’t have any (at least the ones I’ve encountered).

2 Likes

Thanks guys! So we’re required to wear a face mask while riding, right?

1 Like

I noticed there are some jobsworths zipping up and down the cycle paths on scooters. They’re in high-vis jackets, not uniforms, but it’s possible they have powers to hand out fines or to report people to police. Stay “safe”.

4 Likes

Yes, level 3 guidelines requires you to wear a mask.

Others in this thread have reported that Buff multi-purpose headbands are useful (and medical grade) if you do not like the traditional medical mask.

1 Like

As @ranlee already said, yes - and unlike many vehicles laws in Taiwan, the mask regulation is very much being followed. I saw a couple hundred people yesterday, and everyone had at least some kind of mask on. Two people were chin-diapering. A handful, like me, had the buff / scarf style face covering.

2 Likes

Not much has changed for us cyclists with the change to level 2

I will still be grinding away on my trainer until they lift the restrictions for exercising with a mask. Just know that if you go out to keep your mask on and is ok to take it off to eat/drink!

Stay safe out there guys!

4 Likes

The outdoor event limit has changed too - wasn’t it ten before? (Now 100.) I certainly haven’t seen any big cycling groups in the hills over the past couple of months - maybe that’ll change now.

And has been discussed upthread, I’m still wearing a buff when cycling, and that seems totally fine for the restrictions. I do have a mask in my jersey pocket to wear when leaving and entering my apartment building, or for any convenience stores en route.

1 Like

We will see if groups start showing up this weekend to the usual meet up spots.

1 Like

I haven’t been cycling in July, been working out at home and recently the gym.
It is just too damn hot. At least now I won’t feel guilty when drinking water when I do cycle again.

1 Like