Precautions when cycling in Taiwan during COVID

I’ve noticed a lot of people out cycling or walking with their masks at half-mast, typically poised to take a swig from their water bottle, but almost certainly just posing for the picture …

Technically if you wore a camelback and had the tube permanently in your mouth you’d be good to go

6 Likes

Temple festivals are allowed again?
Despite the fact that
A) all the temples on my street are unauthorized home temples and
B) ghost money burning has been illegal since 2007
I have to wear a mask at all times when I’m out on my bike? Once again the smug, self entitled selfish rulers of this society (old people and Taoists) have complained long and loudly enough to shape the rules to fit their wishes.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how long that will last in the future. With most young people not caring about that stuff anymore, I have already been noticing a huge reduction in those activities over the last decade as the older ones shuttle off this mortal coil.
It still sucks but hopefully it is a trend that will completely disappear

But nothing like getting choked up with ghost money smoke and the firecrackers at 1am

1 Like

What’s that old maxim?
“Society improves one death at a time”?
It certainly applies here.

I believe if it’s under 100 people, they are in the clear.

How dreadful. They should not even be here (my street is a residential neighborhood). It would be nice if there were one set of laws that applied equally to all of us.

Got these at Costco. 439 nt for a pack of four. Washable. About as good breathability as similar ones sold in Taiwan shared above. But it’s a slightly different material. Oh and they also have a kid’s version which is more colorful.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

So, are we now allowed to bike without a mask? Since it’s outdoor exercise?

I know this has been discussed somewhere in the other COVID threads, but … that’s a lot of posts!

Perhaps a moot point, since I did indeed cycle without a mask today, although I was wearing a buff that I pulled up a couple of times when I’d stopped near other people.

1 Like

If socially distanced my interpretation is yes. I just put the mask on my arm and it is there if I need it. I haven’t needed it.

2 Likes

I think if you are out of the city limits you can go mask-less but still have to “bring” a mask in case you cannot socially distance.

Last night, after getting to base of the climb I took off my mask and stuck it in my jacket pocket. Previously I would push it under my chin, but it felt nice not to have it on.

Getting back into the city I put it back on but did the under-the-nose move unless I was at a redlight.

1 Like

I suppose the relevant part of the policy is excerpted below; it doesn’t seem like city limits are a factor. Looks like we’re OK, but a few weeks ago I believe there were contradictions between posted policies and what was actually said at press conferences, and plus I’m never sure if the English announcements accurately reflect the Chinese ones.

Now, of course, I’m wondering just how fast I have to be walking for it to be considered exercise. And what counts as social distancing if you’re going past quite a few people, but never staying long (e.g. riverside paths). Anyway, for now I’ll continue to go maskless on countryside roads (with a mask in the jersey pocket), but pull up the buff/scarf whenever the road gets busier with pedestrians or other cyclists. The mask itself will be on when entering or leaving my building, and when walking inside shops or restaurants, even though it comes off for eating!

Masks must be worn at all times when outside, except for the following situations in an outdoor environment:

1. People doing exercises outdoors;

In the above-mentioned situations, people will not be required to wear a mask, but they should carry a mask with them. People should still wear a mask if they have related symptoms or if they cannot maintain social distancing from non-specific persons.

Source: Nationwide epidemic alert to remain at Level 2 from October 19 to November 1; CECC makes adjustments to related measures and urges public to continue following epidemic prevention and control measures - Taiwan Centers for Disease Control

2 Likes

If you are walking and holding a drink / food then all is good as long as 1.5 meters apart. no exercise clothes needed :laughing:

I like in the CDC rules that individual & group photos both indoors and outdoors are exempted. Maybe bring a selfie stick.

1 Like

I walk with a hot dog in one hand and a beer in the other and a fag in my mouth. So far so good.

2 Likes

It’s something of a quandary, since the meaning of “level 2” has been twisted beyond recognition.
When cycling around farm fields, river banks, forested areas, mountains, etc. No mask is required “as long as social distance can be maintained”.
Since other road users often lurch into my 1.5-meter sphere, I should have a mask on my face for that.
When at a traffic light, scooters may pull up within that 1.5-meter distance, or car drivers with an open window, mask required.
Cycling through villages or urban areas: mask required.
The long and short of it is, I keep a mask around my chin, and when conditions require, I hike it up to comply with the current Byzantine requirements.

2 Likes

I think the long and short of it is that you keep a mask conspicuously located (around my forearm is where mine goes), actually wear it in the city but not really anywhere else because that is what you can get away with and because the danger level in Taiwan at present is basically zero. I don’t feel anyone cares anymore so I don’t see any danger of getting ticketed, but as foreigners I always feel we need to be a bit more careful.

1 Like

You’re quoting me, then correcting me? How rude. Point is, given the current state of “Level 2 Restrictions” with all the carve-outs for priveliged groups, we’re more or less on our own. Do as you like, mate, and I’ll do the same.

Not quite sure what I did wrong. Just discussing things, providing my opinion (that’s why I started that with “I think”), etc. This is a forum and I thought that’s what we’re supposed to do here.

4 Likes

Cross posting new mask rules:

5 Likes