Precautions when cycling in Taiwan during COVID

Um, there are no fines. Has anyone heard of any fines at all? I highly doubt it’ll happen.

I’ve always worn a buff around my neck which I pull over my nose when I’m in heavy traffic. It’s also acceptable as “mask” on the MRT. So if you want breathability and not getting fined, a buff is the way to go.

3 Likes

Yes, I’m planning to buy one of these in Carrefour tomorrow, along with groceries should any exist. @Terry_B suggested this upthread and I think it’s a great solution that’s practical and follows the rules of always wearing a mask away from home.

Heck, sometimes it seems like half the cyclists are wearing them anyway, I guess for sun protection. They presumably have some value.

1 Like

All of this. Every rider had one of those things on today. I used my Respro, which wasn’t horrible but, it’s a pain to pull up or down for water. I’m also going to jump on the muffler bandwagon.

3 Likes

There’s also those Japanese PM2.5 PITTA masks that breathe pretty well. I prefer that over a Buff.

I have been wearing those 3M gas masks… it looks scary but it’s also much more comfortable than both paper masks and N95 masks. I don’t often clip it on the back of the neck and only wear it loosely in order to comply with rules, but I can clip it on fully and seal it well to protect myself from actual pollutants and allergens if it’s necessary. Organic vapor cartridge is overkill however and I never use them unless actually spraying paint. The P100 filter works well for 95% of what you will encounter day to day.

However it is true that those masks reduce oxygen level even at the best of times, which is why miners don’t always use them as you’d have to shovel coal all the time, and the mask makes it impossible. And coal miners have good reason to wear them as those coal dust is very harmful over long terms.

Here is today’s pictures of cyclist climbing Fong Guei Zuie

Not many wearing masks.

Is this in Taipei/New Taipei area?

Because level 3 only applies to Taipei/New Taipei for now, Kaoshung and Taichung may follow suit.

What the hell is that pinyin.

Fengguizui, say it with me now.

1 Like

Look out for car drivers wearing facemasks over their eyes.

Fengguizui

If they aren’t wearing one, doesn’t mean we shouldn’t.

3 Likes

Didn’t imply one shouldn’t wear mask. More shock that most did not.

Cycled today. First time in a long time. Pools are closed and/or a bit risky. I would say 70% mask rate for hikers and cyclists. I wasn’t wearing one. I hope I don’t get fined. I’ll try the mountain with a mask on my next ride.

3 Likes

I went up Zhongshe road today - overall I think there were actually a few more cyclists than usual. Not a weekend crowd, but a bit more than what I usually see going around 7 AM.

For folks on bikes, there was 100% mask wearing, nearly everyone just wearing the usual surgical masks. A couple people going up had it below their nose or on their chin, but overall most folks had them on fully.

It was pretty rough for me - I underestimated how much less airflow there would be with a mask (perhaps this is useful to train for higher elevations?).

3 Likes

Yes, perfect training for Wuling.

If one keeps their intensity levels low, it should be less heavy breathing, but that’s kind of tough when going up hill, especially in these temperatures.

1 Like

I heard a statement from New Taipei mayor… He said anyone caught without mask will be fined immediately, said the time for education is over.

That could mean if a cop sees you without mask, you will get pulled over and fined.

Do not need to hear about that as we are already in level 3. Everyone should already be masking up when riding!

Level 3
•Criteria: Three community clusters within a week (or) ten domestically transmitted cases from unknown sources in one day.
•Masks must be worn at all times outdoors.
•Cancellation of outdoor gatherings of 10+ people and indoor gatherings of 5+ people.
•Apart from essential services, law enforcement, medical treatment and government, all places of business and public venues must close.
•At places of business or public venues that remain open, mask wearing and social distancing is required.
•In neighborhoods where community transmission has occurred, residents must stay within defined a perimeter and comply with COVID-19 testing. All public gatherings and school classes within the neighborhoods are suspended.

Is there a tracker anywhere where we can see what cities/counties are in which levels at the moment? I’m not in Taipei/New Taipei at the moment but I want to know where I need to be sure I’m 100% masking up when riding! I haven’t been wearing one when there isn’t anyone around where I’m at and want to make sure that’s okay.

Three days ago, Taipei/New Taipei were raised to level 3. Other cities/counties, which did not see any further news/announcements by CDC, I believe are still at level 2.

2 Likes