Presidential Candidate that don't support TI

Well then I guess you have more the gripe about with DPP administration then, they’ve been try to stimulate the McJobs market by making Taiwan a tourist destination…without the tourist of course.

Why do I need to go that far? I just have to go to New Orleans or some ghetto in the US to see failure of democracy in action. Or I can just visit my fellow US expats working in Taiwan to see how robust the economy is.

I might not even have to do that, I can just look in forumosa section dealing on exchange rate to see concerns of employee savings in NT.[/quote]

Yawn…

• Clearly you can’t tell the difference between Dollars, Euros and Pounds (or how Taiwan maintains a dirty float).
  • You can’t seem to understand that politics, while important, is not the only things that effect economics
  • You are unable to differentiate social issues from political issues. Democracy did not create the social issues in NO.
  • You seem to think that the unwashed masses are too stupid and too irrational to govern themselves. (the same have-nots you ‘care’ so much for)
  • Have you done your military service in Taiwan? If not, then the issue over expats loyalties is just a canard.

[quote]Yawn…

• Clearly you can’t tell the difference between Dollars, Euros and Pounds (or how Taiwan maintains a dirty float).
  • You can’t seem to understand that politics, while important, is not the only things that effect economics
  • You are unable to differentiate social issues from political issues. Democracy did not create the social issues in NO.
  • You seem to think that the unwashed masses are too stupid and too irrational to govern themselves. (the same have-nots you ‘care’ so much for)
  • Have you done your military service in Taiwan? If not, then the issue over expats loyalties is just a canard.[/quote]

don’t you all understand that ‘AC’ isn’t Taiwanese at all, and he never been to Taiwan once in his miserable life (I’m even not sure he can find Taiwan on a world map…)

He’s just a mainland chinese living abroad and shitting on every non-chinese things. Then AC, why don’t you go back to your ‘greatest’ motherland? And Could you please take your Ma with you? Both you and him won’t be a loss for Taiwan…

Yeah, that’s why I have very good people who do that for me. They assure me that the Dollar and NT are sliding in the market in the near future. For the USD a lot hinges on PRC basket currency system, Japan’s slow down of US bond purchases, and of course the war.

For the NT well that’s a confidence issue in leadership they tell me.

In the USA when you pay for a long term war with future funds that was meant for an emergency it get a little tough to pay for domestic emergency when it happens.

In ROC that problem stems from the fact the PRC economy is so attractive now. By keeping cold war barriers in place, hinders growth in Taiwan. Of course since the current administration values not being politically dominated above all else, they believe the sacrifice is worth it.

I see, so civil rights activist that claim Katrina failed relief effort were in part due to slavery and institutional discrimination that left southern blacks the most economical disadvantage, thus the majority of victims, are in your opinion incorrect.

In a similar vein pan-Green supporters who claim KMT institutional discrimination against Taiwanese are also incorrect in their assessment that creates the current social issue on Taiwan.

And if I had to serve an extra year, because back then there was a lottery system in place, and also got my circumcision done without anesthetic by someone I still question to this day if they were an actual medical doctor…do I get a gold star.

I believe in free exchange of idea. If I restricted my postings only ROC citizens, I wouldn’t be posting in English. The problem is of course I am familiar with the Chinese debate and those I post to are also familiar with the issues. This is unique perspective to say the least.

Check again, US economy is slowing down. Cost of going to Taiwan from US and from the Mainland is also quite different.

In addition US tourist perception of Taiwan is kind of lack luster compared to tourist destinations in the region. Whereas, Taiwan is the forbidden island to most PRC tourist. So there is more interest for PRC nationals in coming to Taiwan.

Once again you are illustrating my point that governing a State properly is independent on whether or not it has a democracy.

Come again, bringing up facts to the economy is insulting?

It been almost 10 years since I left AC. I got over it already. I hope you can get over my loss too one day. :unamused:
You know just the other day I met someone, an old partner from AC, at the marina. My boat was bigger than his. So I’m really over it. :laughing: :laughing:

[quote]Quote:
Clearly you can’t tell the difference between Dollars, Euros and Pounds

Yeah, that’s why I have very good people who do that for me. They assure that the Dollar and NT are sliding in the market in the near future. For the USD a lot hinges on PRC basket currency system, Japan’s slow down of US bond purchases, and of course the war.

For the NT well that’s a confidence issue in leadership they tell me[/quote]

Well then, get them to explain to you the difference between long term & short term as well as the impact of sentiment in the long run.

What are we talking about here? Wealth creation? Job creation? The fact that you believe that 3 links will increase opportunities for low-skilled, low education employees in domestic Taiwan?

No. That doen’t sound like democracy to me. What you’re talking about is an issue caused by the structure of US society, not by universal sufferage within that society. Most of those civil rights activits were calling for participation in the democratic system.

Different subjects entirely - Democracy tend to ameliorate the effects of institutional racism as: a) it requires free speach b)it protects the right of the minority position I also don’t recall Taiwan being a democratic society until the 1990’s.

I won’t comment about what that might mean in relation to some recent postings about your heroic live life.

That’s great. however, often times there is a correlation between free exchanges of ideas and how democratic a society is.

No no that happens at the end of the year. Where I question why they should be given the privilege of another year to manage my accounts when their performance was lack luster. That’s when you want to make them squirm and get some free bagels or something… :laughing:

The model which I believe has taken effect on Taiwan in the past couple of years is that money and jobs are being moved to the PRC, through direct or indirect transfer. Mostly affecting the higher skilled labor market. So the government policy on the matter doesn’t affect this segment too much, because unless they outright banned movement and transfer out of Taiwan, these individuals can tap the PRC market.

What I’m referring to is the lower segment of the labor market. Who have neither the skills, training nor resources to tap the PRC market, let alone be competitive in it. Government policy can have a direct positive influence on people in the hospitality, food service, transportation, and tourism market just by reducing the barriers to allow PRC tourist coming to Taiwan.

Since neither you nor I believe in Reagan trickle down theory, which in this case mean rich ROC citizen generating wealth in the PRC are not coming home to spend their fortunes, the government should have some responsibility in facilitating the growth of these markets, even if it mean that the tourist are not Japanese or Westerners as they originally planned, but PRC nationals.

But it was universal suffrage that created the society. When the first slaves or indenture servant arrived in the New World, it was at the consent of the society that at that time.

I forward that even though women could not vote at the time. They still consented to importing cheap labor to do their house work. I don’t believe a white wife would have voted against black slavery nor indenture servants 200 years ago.

The counter argument for point (a) is the fact free speech can be used to motivate the masses into racist action. Just like free speach in the USA of the low skill white laborers cause the enactment of the Chinese Exclusion Act to prevent lower cost labor of the new immigrant group. Just like free speach in democratic Germany allow for the demonization of Jews. And on Taiwan free speach is used to stoke the fire of recrimination and retribution.

Point (b) is not entirely correct because it is a Republic that defends minority rights. A Democracy defends majority rights. In a democracy 51% of the population will always lord over the other 49%. The only balance in the democracy is that each individual must be highly educated in a broad number of subjects, to make and educated and civic minded decision. In a Republic the masses give up their right to govern to a “highly” trained individual to take on that responsibility. These leaders are suppose to counter the natural urge of the masses to scapegoat the most vunerable in society.

However, as I have pointed out in my posting in Taiwan these counter-balances in society are failing. Education in Taiwan is falling behind, even as the MOE debates the “true” Taiwan history. And the leaders are no longer interested in protecting the sub-ethnic minorities on Taiwan. Instead leaders are pandering to the least common denominator of the poorly educated masses on Taiwan.

I’m basically point to the break down of a Republic when the leader no longer feels necessary to be the leader of all within the State. But only to be the leader of his constituents exclusively.

Come again, bringing up facts to the economy is insulting?[/quote]
How does AC’s wild guess that no one in Forumosa earns a decent amount is somehow confused for fact, by himself no less?

It been almost 10 years since I left AC. I got over it already. I hope you can get over my loss too one day. :unamused: [/quote]
Sorry AC is the one still using AC_Dropout as a login 10 long years later. I’m even more amused that he’s not gotten over it.

Raise your hands, how many people here believe that a user that spends all day on half a dozen forums really owns a boat of high value? Besides, real boat aficionados don’t call their the boats just a boat. They also don’t compare with just size. I mean AC could be captain of a Chinese Junk. They can be big but they’re also crap. So I take it AC’s boat is parked in Manhattan?

ShrimpCrackers,

Ever thought I spend so much time goofing off, is because I can afford to… :laughing:
Chinese Junk are collector’s items in certain circles… :laughing:

Do you have any opinion about the presidential candidates for 2008? Because I’m not one of them, so no need to keep posting about me. :laughing:

But it is good to see you’re running on Taiwan time now. :laughing:

[quote]Quote:
Well then, get them to explain to you the difference between long term & short term as well as the impact of sentiment in the long run.

No no that happens at the end of the year. Where I question why they should be given the privilege of another year to manage my accounts when their performance was lack luster. That’s when you want to make them squirm and get some free bagels or something… [/quote]

Possibly - but regardless, the point stands.

[quote]Quote:
What are we talking about here? Wealth creation? Job creation? The fact that you believe that 3 links will increase opportunities for low-skilled, low education employees in domestic Taiwan?

The model which I believe has taken effect on Taiwan in the past couple of years is that money and jobs are being moved to the PRC, through direct or indirect transfer. [/quote]

So in other words, this is happening anyway, despite the missing 3 links.

3 links (in the short term) will only make this worse. If they’ve no transferrable skills, when they are SOL regardless. McJobs from tourism won’t help them very much as tourism jobs pay subsistence level. The monied or entrepreneurs will do fine, they’ve got the capital to hire the McJobee

How many pure Democracies exist today? Have ever existed? We’re talking Republics whether it is ROC, ROT or the US.

[quote]The counter argument for point (a) is the fact free speech can be used to motivate the masses into racist action. Just like free speach in the USA of the low skill white laborers cause the enactment of the Chinese Exclusion Act to prevent lower cost labor of the new immigrant group. Just like free speach in democratic Germany allow for the demonization of Jews. And on Taiwan free speach is used to stoke the fire of recrimination and retribution.
[/quote]

And…tell me which society is free from these issues? Will an authoritarian guarantee this does not occur? The worst excesses of Communism (China, Russia, Romania, Albania… take your pick) occurred when a small clique was able to govern with little restraint. We pick on Hitler a lot. but he was in the junior leagues when it came to liquidations - mere 3rd place.

last time I checked, the high skilled Taiwanese employees are still all in Taiwan. The low level and management ones went to China because simply - Taiwanese prefer Taiwanese, and even Chinese prefer Taiwanese…

But one question comes to mind - How come can there be a president of a country who doesn’t believe that country to be independent? What are people voting for? Big cookie-jar special prize limited edition - only once every four years?

Any Presidential Candidate will be elected based on the fact that this is an independent country, no? Or am I too stupid to understand “Chinese Democracy”? (because only people who believe they are Chinese would think otherwise)…

Elegua,

I have to disagree with your assessment of opening the 3 links for tourism would negatively affect ROC in the short or long run. This is about emulating what is already occurring throughout SE Asia as PRC middle class have money to travel and spend on leisure activities.

As the population of tourist from PRC increases on Taiwan, I don’t see how it is not a sustainable model.

I am just illustrating my belief that democracy is perhaps not the only form of government to base a successful society on. To hold onto that tenet without any regard to where society is usually results in chaos. After Ancient Greece I don’t think there were any State larger than city-states that could depend on a democracy. Which is why I disdain simplistic arguments of “this is the best system we got.” It stinks of mediocrity, which I just simply despise. If this is the best we can do, might as slit my wrist now, because the end-game is so predictable at this point…:lol:

I’m just happy to see some of the DPP standard-bearer candidates see the follies of just catering to a base they can depend 100% on. Granted my observation of the other side is usually wrapped in sarcasm. I’m paying attention to these details, and maybe there are others on this forum that find Taiwan politics interesting enough to also notice these minute details.

That is a very good question. I’ve have believed for the past 6 years that people are voting on recriminating the KMT for the past. Comparing the campaign talk about how to best achieve TI and how to best pursue 228. You’ll find sadly that more effort and progress is devoted to cannibalizing the ROC government than figuring out how to bring Taiwan into the 21st century when PRC dominates the region.

Hopefully after 8 years these extremist in Taiwan society will have enough of pointing their fingers at their fellow ROC citizen and work on a comprehensive plan in dealing with the PRC.

the sustainable model for tourism is the high class one, not the low class tour-on-a-bus type that you are talking about - that type of tourism will not do any good, as we will not see cleaner sky, streets or rivers… but I guess for most people in China, Taiwan is a paradise…

PRC tourist are deplacing the Japanese in France these days.

OK. I’ll keep it in mind the next time I got to the Philippines, Indonesia, Thailand…etc…

[quote]I am just illustrating my belief that democracy is perhaps not the only form of government to base a successful society on. To hold onto that tenet without any regard to where society is usually results in chaos. After Ancient Greece I don’t think there were any State larger than city-states that could depend on a democracy. Which is why I disdain simplistic arguments of “this is the best system we got.” It stinks of mediocrity, which I just simply despise. If this is the best we can do, might as slit my wrist now, because the end-game is so predictable at this point…

I’m just happy to see some of the DPP standard-bearer candidates see the follies of just catering to a base they can depend 100% on. Granted my observation of the other side is usually wrapped in sarcasm. I’m paying attention to these details, and maybe there are others on this forum that find Taiwan politics interesting enough to also notice these minute details. [/quote]

Your entitled to your opinion. I’ve yet to see another form of gov. stand the test of time (in the modern era). I don’t see how a small clique of leaders can know ‘better’ than the rest of society what is good.

Keep in mind, it took the PRC gov. close to 50 years to find something that worked…and we still don’t know the outcome for sure…

I have no interest in seeing China in trouble, if I operated purely out of self interest, it would be to see China to continue to develop and become wealthier.

according to media reports, the Japanese embassy in Paris has a team for psychological aid to Japanese tourists visiting France, as it is normal for them to be shocked by the lack of service and politeness French have (the standard for service in Japan is extremely elevated, so getting some French grunts must be hard on them)…

That is a very good question. I’ve have believed for the past 6 years that people are voting on recriminating the KMT for the past. Comparing the campaign talk about how to best achieve TI and how to best pursue 228. You’ll find sadly that more effort and progress is devoted to cannibalizing the ROC government than figuring out how to bring Taiwan into the 21st century when PRC dominates the region.

Hopefully after 8 years these extremist in Taiwan society will have enough of pointing their fingers at their fellow ROC citizen and work on a comprehensive plan in dealing with the PRC.[/quote]
But so far all AC’s solutions seem to imply is to end any sovereignty in Taiwan! Obviously he prefers state-owned utilities and corporations and has I think once even said that the good old days were in the Martial Law era. Everyone sees it here, removing all that = “cannibalizing the ROC government”.

Because obviously AC has confused the ROC government with the KMT.

New Future AC: “I for one welcome our fascist CCP masters!”

Still no opinions about the presidential candidates in ROC I see…

what about your opinions?

My opinion is that Hsieh has a good chance of winning, and maybe he can do a better job than CSB - although if the LY continues as it is, he will also be a lame duck. As for Ma, let us see how he will survive the scandal… all the rest won’t have a chance.

I would say that Su stands a rather good chance too.

I wouldn’t vote for Su - not a person I like to see on TV…