Preventing accidental grave-digging of old posts

Upon reaching the end of a thread, there is a section of recommended threads below called “New & Unread Topics”. Take this one, for example:

Notice the date of the last replies? All of these are 1-2 years old.

Is there any way to remove this section so people don’t accidentally read and respond to super old threads?

2 Likes

Replying to 1-2 year old threads is nothing.
Now replying to 10+ year old threads takes finesse. Some have the courage, others don’t.

5 Likes

When you reply, you do get a warning that the last post was [two] years ago, so I think it works alright.

It is admittedly annoying when I’ve spent time writing a response, and THEN get that alert, and realize I no longer want to post what I’ve just written.

1 Like

no guts, no glory

2 Likes

That doesn’t really help in cases of one-year-old threads.

Heck, I don’t even consider that a grave-dig. It’s more like gently jostling someone awake at the end of the MRT line.

8 Likes

Why not? If there has been no activity in a year, it’s likely the OP is no longer interested, or the question or discussion has already been resolved.

I asked the mods about this and they said they can’t do much about it, and they don’t really seem to see it as a major problem.

If it is the most appropriate thread like “World Gym membership” would you rather have a new thread to discuss the same topic like “World Gym membership revisited #3

2 Likes

I’m talking about accidentally replying to old posts. There should be no reply at all, unless I actually want to revisit the topic.

You mean if you are the OP? So an OP should be able to “lock” a post? Or it should happen automatically?

I believe they can turn off the “New & Unread Posts” section. I don’t know if they can turn it off across the whole site with just one click, or if they need to go through each category and turn it off for each category.

I did a Google search for “discourse forums” and found a random one. You can see that this forum has it turned off on all posts in their “Site Feedback” category:

No. I mean there should not be a “New & Unread Topics” section at the bottom of each thread, because that section recommends old threads which people often accidentally reply to because they didn’t notice how old the thread was.

If they removed that section, then people won’t accidentally click into old topics and reply to them.

I think I asked if it was possible to limit posts in those section to a certain age and they said it’s not really possible to do. I think all they could do is maybe automatically lock a thread once a certain timer runs out, but I do not know if they can/will do that.

Yeah I can believe that. I think in that case it’s better to just turn it off. It removes the clutter anyway.

Yeah, this. Plenty of discussions, like for Mexican food or cycling routes or whatever, go on for years, remaining quiescent for months or years at a time. And that’s fine. Far better than the Reddit approach of posing the same question every couple of weeks.

I already told @TaipeiGuy2000 that he misunderstood my initial post (judging from his irrelevant reply), and yet you made another post agreeing to his irrelevant post?

Who says it has to be directed at OP? Reignite the old topic with a new group of cats.

If OP made a thread about where to find the best orange juice in Taipei, I wouldn’t necessarily be responding to him when I “grave dig” it.

Anyway, I don’t find grave digs annoying when it’s warranted. If someone digs up a bunch of super old and irrelevant/outdated threads for inane silliness because they’re bored (it’s happened), that’s one thing. But raising a dead thread from the grave when the occasion calls for it is totally fine imo.

5 Likes

The forum kinda encourages it too. If you start a thread it searches the title name and suggests existing threads where you could post in, and some of them could be 10 years old.

1 Like

We’re talking about different things.

You’re talking about someone intentionally searching for and reactivating a one-year-old thread because they want to start a new discussion in that thread with a similar topic. (This is also what @TaipeiGuy2000 and @lostinasia are talking about.)

I’m talking about someone accidentally clicking into an old thread because it happened to show up, and making a reply when they had no intension of doing so because they didn’t see how old the thread was.