Priests and nuns

You don’t know?

They can read minds. All your sick fantasies about bending them over the altar… they know.

Who wouldn’t feel nervous?

There’s a Rabbi on YouTube. I think he has some abhorrent views on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. Some of his takes are ill-informed and, to be honest, infuriating.

I still get the wonderful aura of a religious leader from him, and he seems to me like a great guy.

Black church services are fun. I went once with my roommate.

That’s why it’s a ‘mega’ church!

1 Like

Maciel, who died in 2008, was perhaps the Roman Catholic Church’s most notorious paedophile, even abusing children he had fathered secretly with at least two women while living a double life and being feted by the Vatican and church conservatives.

1 Like

Organized religion often attracts those who.want a career good pay and benefits and not genuinely devout believers. I’m not a fan of organized religion but I still have huge respect for most nuns and treat priests politely (innocent before proven guilty). I’m actually a Methodist.
The case above is like Jimmy.Saville they both died before being held accountable and both worked for huge poweful organizations that protected them. Good article. :+1:

1 Like

Good works

1 Like

No. I find them somewhat ridiculous. I was raised Catholic, but my mom was never pushing that too hard. To me they seem like very large children on an extended Halloween. What could they possibly tell me about life and how to live it? I think you learn about life from engagement with the world, not retirement from it.

Christ and the Buddha would beg to differ.

1 Like

I don’t view Christ and Buddha as role models. In other words, I’m not religious.

Also not sure if that’s true. Christ lived and preached among lepers and prostitutes, and was executed alongside common criminals. After attaining enlightenment the Buddha spread his teachings. I guess it depends on how you define “retirement from the world.” Certainly a little of this is good, but I don’t see much value in it as a lifestyle.

It’s possible to not be religious and take Jesus or Buddha as a role model, at least the way they have been portrayed historically.

It’s hard to find many faults in what we know about Jesus.

2 Likes

I was referring specifically to Christ’s 40 days in the desert and the Buddha’s 7 weeks under the Bodhi Tree.

1 Like

I’d agree with that. I think if you take the broadest interpretation of what he said I have no argument with him.

1 Like

Yes, but again they weren’t spending their lives in seclusion. I think there’s value in that kind of isolation, in taking time to get your bearings so to speak. It’s the monastic version of that I have a problem with.

1 Like

I guess it takes regular Joes a lot longer to have those deep insights.

1 Like

Maybe that’s what religious authorities want us to think. That Jesus and Buddha were more than mortal men. But even Jesus asked God why he’d been forsaken on the cross.

Anyway, we’re tackling centuries of religious doctrine between two major religious traditions here. I can’t pretend to have all the answers. :slight_smile:

My work day is done. Have a good one, brother.

Amen to that. :grin:

What he was said to have said. Christianity didn’t really take off until Paul.