Pro-Muslim?

I’m pretty busy during the week so this is just a quick reply until the weekend.

Sleep Depraved:Moslems believe that infidels (or as they often call us “kaffirs”, interesting huh? Did you ever wonder where the Afrikaners might have got their racial epithets from?) live in a state of “Jahahilia”(spelling?) which translates as “ignorance” so it’s not too surprising you automatically assume that I’m ignorant since you believe that all infidels are ignorant (including the Chinese, Japanese and others. Islamic condescension is not limited to westerners because after all “unbelief is one nation”- a pretty ignorant viewpoint itself in my opinion). Well we can have a discussion as long as you are not attempting “taqqiya” (deception) on me. I may not be able to quote exact verse and chapter of the Koran or the exact hadith from the Sahih Bukhari (the main collection of stories about the so-called prophet including his marriage to Ayesha, accepted as authentic by most Moslems) as no doubt you can but I do know a certain amount. Still think I’m so ignorant?

And please don’t used the tired old arguments of “tu quoque” on me. I don’t like it when other religions use violence either and I am no fan of European imperialism. I want to make sure however, it isn’t replaced by Arabic imperialism. See you at the weekend, Inshallah.

[color=blue]I did not say you were ignorant. i was however put off by some of your arguments and they did make it seem like you were unfamiliar with Islam (but familliar with the common untruths about it)

regarding the term kaffir…sigh…it’s a classic example of how cultural misunderstandings and politics have made the term evolve (devolve?) into something completely different. from what I’ve been taught, it’s a non deragatory objective term…a non-believer who hides the truth - simple as that. in my opinion, ‘infidel’ doesn’t translate well. now because of certain players (east and west) the term became more loaded with other negative connotations. it’s been tossed around by both sides for their own purpose to the point that it has become an insult :blush:.

and it’s extremely unfortunate some people (i.e. ur example of the afrikaaners) want to use it as a racial slur.

[/color]

[color=blue]again, never thought you were ignorant. the important thing is to have an open mind and perspective. and when you’re criticizing another religion, at the very least try to use valid arguments.

“so-called prophet” :frowning: ouch! how can we have a mature discussion with passive-agressive attacks like that? [/color]

[color=blue]hey Taiwanlight Zone, have a blast this week[/color]

[quote=“Taiwanlight Zone”]I’m pretty busy during the week so this is just a quick reply until the weekend.

Sleep Depraved:Moslems believe that infidels (or as they often call us “kaffirs”, interesting huh? Did you ever wonder where the Afrikaners might have got their racial epithets from?) live in a state of “Jahahilia”(spelling?) which translates as “ignorance” so it’s not too surprising you automatically assume that I’m ignorant since you believe that all infidels are ignorant (including the Chinese, Japanese and others. Islamic condescension is not limited to westerners because after all “unbelief is one nation”- a pretty ignorant viewpoint itself in my opinion). [/quote]

catholic.com/thisrock/1991/9111chap.asp

MikeN

I’m a little confused. I’m having a discussion with (I presume) a Moslem and you’re hitting me with Catholic theology?? By the way, if you’re applying “invincible ignorance” (some nasty people, not me, might apply that to Catholic beliefs, incidentally) to me, bear in mind you also should apply it to the Moslems. Maybe you think that supporting a Moslem is aiding a fellow believer in God or some such idea. Let me assure you, if you ever work in certain Islamic countries that take sharia seriously, you’ll find out pretty quickly how much interfaith religious beliefs are worth there and get to understand the word “dhimmi” real quickly.

The Christian population of the Middle East has been declining since the Islamic invasions of the formerly Christian areas there and there is a reason for that (and it is not because of the bare tolerance they experience there). I’m on the side of the religious minorities in Islamic countries having the basic human right to practise whatever religion they want without any restriction, including paying jizya (the religious tax for infidels). I think you should be supporting the guy who’s in favour of your rights and not the one who would abolish them because his “holy book” or hadiths would deny them. In any case, using the word “ignorance” is puzzling since the word pertains to knowledge or lack of it and we are talking about religious faith, aren’t we? If the word “ignorance” is not being used as a put down as your quote says then the word should not be used as it has connotations of exactly that.

And I reckon that Sleep is being a little disingenuous when he says that he wasn’t accusing me of ignorance, invincible or otherwise.

“It’s strange that so many people who have strong negative opinions about Islam don’t actually KNOW the religion can’t blame them though because we’re all victims of the same thing.”

It seemed to me that the insinuation was that I knew nothing about the religion and it is usually the first accusation that is routinely made against anyone criticising Islam. This happened when I was in Kuwait when the Kuwaitis (who had initiated the discussion knowing full well I was at a disadvantage as you can go to jail there for “insulting” read “arguing against” Islam) accused me of not knowing anything about it. In fairness, once I had told them about Haj, Umrah, the five pillars etc. they graciously accepted that I had done my research.

Okay, let me try to defend the points I was trying to make:

Conversion by the sword: while not used in all cases, is mandated by the following verse:

Koran sura 9:29. Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

Surah 8:39 (or thereabouts) says, “Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God’s religion shall reign supreme.”

Surah 8:12 says, “God revealed his will to the angels, saying: “I shall be with you. Give courage to the believers. I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, strike off the very tips of their fingers!”

Surah 9:39 (or thereabouts) says, “If you do not go to war, He will punish you sternly, and will replace you by other men.”.

Now, as with all religions, these verses could just about be interpreted as not actually forcing anyone to convert at gunpoint (or sword point) but there is no doubt that they enjoin violence against infidels until they surrender. There are, as far as I know, no similar verses in other alleged “holy books” (there you go Sleep, I’m an equal-opportunity passive aggressive). And if another Moslem says they can be used to defend conversion by the sword I reckon you’ll have a hard time completely denying it.

And surprise, surprise, a lot of the history (not all but an awful lot) is about Islamic invasion of the Middle East, Spain, India and parts of Europe (the continent was only saved from the last attempt by the Turks in I think, 1688 because heavy rains bogged their artillery down). I understand that several of the hadiths of Bukhari also speak of Jihad as military contest. Yes, if an area –like Indonesia- went Islamic peacefully, fine and well, if not then the military option was exercised if practicable.

I do not deny that some Moslems did contribute to civilisation and that for a time the areas conquered by the Moslems were quite advanced. The Moslem conquests were at first extremely rapid. They conquered a lot of territory stunningly fast, territory that had been occupied by fairly culturally advanced pre-Islamic societies. This made for a very rich cultural cake (aided and abetted by the writings of the Greek Pagan thinkers and the knowledge gained from the Indians- which the Moslems rarely acknowledge). For a long time, those areas were not Islamised only controlled by the Sultans or Sheiks or whatever. However, once the areas became majority Moslem the rot set in. One group of thinkers, the Mutzalites did try to continue critical thinking but they were defeated by Al Ghazali who argued successfully that revelation should be paramount over reason. Ghazali denounced Aristotle, Socrates and other Greek writers as non-believers and condemned those who employed their methods and ideas as corrupters of Islam. Add to that there is no separation of State and Mosque and critical thinking (and leading on from it, scientific thinking) was doomed, as was any hope of progress in the Islamic world. The Moslems themselves today debate the reasons for stagnation though of course, they never, ever blame Islam and its conservative cast of mind.

The Status of women in Islam

Moslems often point out that according to what we know of Muhammed’s life the first convert to Islam was Khadija, his first wife. They talk of the great esteem that Islam holds women in. Well. Let’s see…

Al-Bukhari Volume 2, Book 24, Number 541:

On 'Id ul Fitr or 'Id ul Adha Allah’s Apostle went out to the Musalla. After finishing the prayer, he delivered the sermon and ordered the people to give alms. He said, “O people! Give alms.” Then he went towards the women and said. “O women! Give alms, for I have seen that the majority of the dwellers of Hell-Fire were you (women).” The women asked, “O Allah’s Apostle! What is the reason for it?” He replied, “O women! You curse frequently, and are ungrateful to your husbands. I have not seen anyone more deficient in intelligence and religion than you. O women, some of you can lead a cautious wise man astray.”

Al-Bukhari Volume 1, Book 6, Number 301:

The women asked, “O Allah’s Apostle! What is deficient in our intelligence and religion?” He said, “Is not the evidence of two women equal to the witness of one man?” They replied in the affirmative. He said, “This is the deficiency in her intelligence. Isn’t it true that a woman can neither pray nor fast during her menses?” The women replied in the affirmative. He said, “This is the deficiency in her religion.”

So, according to the above, Muhammed thought that women are deficient in intelligence, unclean when menstruating, mostly end up in Hell and lead man astray (men it appears are not expected to control themselves or take responsibility for their actions). There are also verses and hadiths where it is indicated that men may beat their wives (only lightly of course, so that’s all right then [sarcasm]) and wives are expected to be totally obedient. Oh yes and a man can divorce a woman with ease while, well you get the idea. This is great esteem for women? Pardon me if I disagree.

Sleep, you seem to be a nice guy in spite of the unpleasant religion you claim to follow. I suspect you focus on the nice things and ignore the nasties (as people often do in other beliefs I’m happy to say except for folks like the Christian Dominionists another bunch who freeze the blood in my veins but at least so far they are a minority - and I pray they remain so) so why not just believe in God and be a good person? But then I guess you worry that Allah the wise the compassionate, slow to anger etc. is gonna burn you in Hell forever. Sigh :unamused: Look if God exists, he’s pure perfection which means he isn’t the ghastly torturer portrayed in the monotheistic religions so stop being manipulated by the hateful doctrines of people long dead.

[color=blue]Yes, it’s true that I can’t fast or pray during menstruation. can’t fast for health purposes and we can’t pray because praying requires that you not be bleeding from anywhere, it can be ur nose or a cut… same goes for other bodily fluids, which is why we perform ablution before prayer. [/color]

[color=blue]but…I do believe in God… :blush: . and I am a good person. Allah is the arabic word for God. In the same way that the French word for God is Dieu, or the Germans, Gott…different name same god.

that’s the reason I said that quite a few people don’t truly know the religion…u’ve just proven that u ultimately don’t. it doesn’t matter how many lines you quote and take out of context…you’ve missed the entire picture while you were too busy looking for flaws…and while you are bent on portraying Islam as a hateful religion, know that there are hundreds of millions of people out there living a humble and decent life who make me proud to be who I am. The tiny minority that the media is obessesed with doesn’t speak for me. and in my eyes they’ve turned their backs to Islam. (if anything, to them Islam is just a means to an end to achieve power.)

damn how did I get on the soapbox again?? :laughing: [/color]

[quote=“Taiwanlight Zone”] . . . Conversion by the sword: while not used in all cases, is mandated by the following verse:

Koran sura 9:29. Fight those who do not believe in Allah, nor in the latter day, nor do they prohibit what Allah and His Apostle have prohibited, nor follow the religion of truth, out of those who have been given the Book, until they pay the tax in acknowledgment of superiority and they are in a state of subjection.

Surah 8:39 (or thereabouts) says, “Make war on them until idolatry shall cease and God’s religion shall reign supreme.”

Surah 8:12 says, “God revealed his will to the angels, saying: “I shall be with you. Give courage to the believers. I shall cast terror into the hearts of the infidels. Strike off their heads, strike off the very tips of their fingers!”

Surah 9:39 (or thereabouts) says, “If you do not go to war, He will punish you sternly, and will replace you by other men.”. . . …[/quote]

"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.
– Deuteronomy 13:7-12

“If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.”
– Leviticus 20:10

[quote=“spook”]"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.

“If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death.”
– Leviticus 20:10[/quote]
spook -
So when the last time this happened in Kansas?

Reality is such a ball-buster.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”]"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.

spook -

Reality is such a ball-buster.[/quote]

Do you agree with this?

“the United States must join Israel in a pre-emptive military strike against Iran to fulfill God’s plan for both Israel and the West… a biblically prophesied end-time confrontation with Iran, which will lead to the Rapture, Tribulation, and Second Coming of Christ.”.
Pastor John Hagee, San Antonio, Texas

I had a feeling this was going to be the next line of defense. First the person making the criticism is accused of ignorance. If that doesn’t get them to shut up they are accused of taking it out of context. The only way the context could be relevant would be if Muhammed ws forced to say those words about the stupidity of women and the need to kill and mutilate unbelievers. He wasn’t; these were his words in a book that claims to be absolutely clear

You may well be a good decent person but all that means is that you’re a good decent person who isn’t going to kill and mutilate unbelievers. I also suspect you don’t really believe you are, what is it, half as intelligent as a man. (If you do, I would like you to know that modern psychology has found no difference between the intelligence of men and women although they tend to have strengths in different areas.) God created you, me and everyone else as beings with a tendency to burp, fart, sweat etc. These were Muhammed’s fixations; he was known to be fastidious about bad smells, urine, blood, etc. It is insulting to women to say that God rejects them because their natural functions are at play. It is also insulting to God, portraying him as a petty-minded cosmic fusspot. These are people’s failings not God’s.

Do you really think these are the words of God? I say they are the words of a seventh century warlord who used religion as a means to ensure total obedience to his wishes. It worked; for example, Abu Bakr, in spite of his misgivings gave his six-year old daughter to Muhammed in marriage (which is why the marriage age in Iran today can be as low as 9). You are ignoring the vile aspects of Islam.

I hope you and millions of others continue to be good people and really look at the religion you profess to follow. You may ignore the lines I quote but millions of Moslems will not. There is a lot of apostasy in the (relatively) free countries and I suspect, a lot of secret apostasy in Islamic countries (otherwise they die, also a tenet of the Koran) Some smug Imams think they are going to take over Europe by “the use of our women’s wombs as weapons” (or words to that effect).

I suspect they are wrong but only time will tell if the Moslems will choose freedom or try to turn the whole world into a caliphate that will bring a permanent dark age upon the world. If science dies like it did in the former areas controlled by Islam, it will be well nigh impossible to bring it back as all the easy deposits of industrial resources are gone. Yes folks that’s what’s at stake. If you think that’s far-fetched just remember the areas the Moslems took over and which blazed so brightly for just a short time and then look at those areas today.

By the way, it’s not clear that Islam is the fastest-growing religion in the world today. That honour seems to be going to Falun Gong which has apparently grown from zero to 70 million in about a decade

Spook, there’s no argument with you. I said the Christian Dominationists (the religious right is a watered down version of them) gave me the chills. I detest plenty of what the Bible says as well (it has it’s good points, but there is plenty that is questionable) These books the infallible word of God? Only if he’s a cosmic psychopath.

LOL. Do you honestly expect we infidels to recognize Muhammad as a prophet? You’ve got to be kidding.

Yes who you are, not what you are. Islam is a religion with doctrinally-mandated violence, jihad. Taiwanlight Zone has already provided you with some of the relevant passages, and all you have to say in response is “you are quoting it out of context.” OK, then put it into context for us. We’re all waiting.

A poll in Britain a few years ago found that 40% of British Muslims would rather live under Sharia law than British law. Well part of Sharia law is the subjugation of infidels. As I have said on here many times, I do not care if Muslims are trying to take over by violence, by conversion, or by higher birthrates, if the end result is the imposition of Sharia law then you’d better expect resistance.

Bullshit. The term kaffir is clearly derogatory. From a Muslim website:

[quote]“As to those who reject Faith, It is the same to them Whether thou warn them Or do not warn them; They will not believe.” The Holy Quran, 02:06 Al Baqarah

Abdullah Yusuf Ali’s commentary: Kufr, Kafara, Kafir, and derivative forms of the word, imply a deliberate rejection of Faith as opposed to a mistaken idea of Allah or faith, which is not consistent with an ernest desire to see the truth. Where there is sch desire, the Grace and Mercy of Allah gives guidance. But that guidance is not efficacious when it is deliberately rejected, and the possibility of rejection follows from the grant of free will. The consequence of the rejection is that spiritual faculties become dead or impervious to better influence.

Be careful who you call Kafir because only Allah knows who is truly a rejector and who is merely a misguided person. It is not up to us to “sentence” a person to the Hellfire. [/quote]

themodernreligion.com/ugly/kafr.html

The term kaffir is definitely appropriately translated “infidel”, because both imply a deliberate rejection of faith. Catholic theology divides non-believers into “infidels” and “heathens”. The latter refers to a person who has never heard the word of Christ, whereas the former refers to someone who has heard it but rejects it.

Oh and to your snarky little comment here:

Indeed, check your history. For the first three centuries Christianity spread almost entirely without violence. Islam, on the other hand, spread by military conquest, starting with Muhammad’s conquest of Medina, then his much bloodier and prolonged conquest of Mecca. The Qur’an, hadith, and sira quite clearly describe a multitude of battles in which Muhammad directly participated, others that he simply ordered. The al-Bukhari hadith details the infamous execution of every adult male of the the Banu Quraysh, an ancient Jewish tribe, which Muhammd himself carried out. And should we talk about what Muhammad did to the Jews at the Khaybar oasis?

After that his successors carried on the jihad, conquering Persia, several Hindu princedoms in India, parts of the Byzantine Empire including modern day Lebanon, Israel, Syria, and Turkey, multiple republics and kingdoms in North Africa, and the Spanish and Portugese kingdoms. All of this within a hundred years of Muhammad’s death. A hundred years into Christian history, on the other hand, Christianity was officially under the persecution of the Roman Empire, had no armies or militias whatsoever, and was spreading entirely peacefully. By the time Constantine ended the official persecution in 313ad Christianity was already the majority religion of the Northern and Eastern parts of the Roman Empire, despite the official persecution. And yes, there have been some cases of forced conversions in Christian history, but nothing on par with the ravaging Islamic conquests.

Oh and while you are explaining to us how Islam is a religion of peace and Muhammad was a sweeheart, please explain how his torture of the Ukil was justified.

[quote]Narrated Anas bin Malik:
A group of eight men from the tribe of 'Ukil came to the Prophet and then they found the climate of Medina unsuitable for them. So, they said, “O Allah’s Apostle! Provide us with some milk.” Allah’s Apostle said, “I recommend that you should join the herd of camels.” So they went and drank the urine and the milk of the camels (as a medicine) till they became healthy and fat. Then they killed the shepherd and drove away the camels, and they became unbelievers after they were Muslim. When the Prophet was informed by a shouter for help, he sent some men in their pursuit, and before the sun rose high, they were brought, and he had their hands and feet cut off. Then he ordered for nails which were heated and passed over their eyes, and they were left in the Harra (i.e. rocky land in Medina). They asked for water, and nobody provided them with water till they died.[/quote]

Sahih al-Bukhari, Volume 4, Book 52, Number 261

This is from your own sources. And before you say it is taken out of context, put it into context for us. Explain the context in which it is justified to cut off men’s feet, burn out their eyes, and deprive them of water until they die.

Here’s a grouping of quotes from the Quran, compended by the neuroscientist and atheist philosopher Sam Harris:

“It is the same whether or not you forwarn them [the unbelievers], they will have no faith” (2:6) … “God will mock them and keep them long in sin, blundering blindly along” (2:15) … “[A fire] whose fuel is men and stones [awaits the unbelievers]” (2:24) … “[Unbelievers] will be rewarded with disgrace in thsi world and with grievous punishment on the Day of Resurrection” (2:85) … “God’s curse be upon the infidels!” (2:89) … “They have incurred God’s most inexorable wrath. An ignominious punishment awaits [them]” (2:90) … “God is the enemy of the unbelievers” (2:98) … “The unbelievers among the People of the Book [Christians and Jews], and the pagans, resent that any blessing should have been send down to you from your Lord” (2:105) … “They shall be held up to shame in this world and sternly punished in the hereafter” (2:114) … “Those to whom We [God] have given the Book, and who read it as it ought to be read, truly believe in it; those that deny it shall assuredly be lost” (2:122) … “[We] shall let them live awhile, and then shall drag them to the scourge of the Fire. Evil shall be their fate” (2:126) … “The East and West are God’s. He guides whom He will to a single straight path” (2:142) … “Do not say that those slain in the cause of God are dead. They are alive, but you are not aware of them” (2:154) … “But the infidels who die unbelievers shall incur the curse of God, the angels, and all men. Under it they shall remain for ever; their punishment shall not be lightened, nor shall never come out of the Fire” (2:168) … “The unbelievers are like beasts which, call out to them as one may, can hear nothing but a shout and a cry. Deaf, dumb, and blind, they understand nothing” (2:172) … “Theirs shall be a woeful punishment” (2:175) … “How steadfastly they seek the Fire! That is because God has revealed the Book with truth; those that disagree about it are in extreme schism” (2:176) … “Slay them wherever you find them. Drive them out of the places from which they drove you. Idolatry is worse than carnage … if they attack you put them to the sword. Thus shall unbelievers be rewarded: but if they desist, God is forgiving and merciful. Fight against them until idolatry is no more and God’s religion reigns supreme. But if they desist, fight none except the evil-doers” (2:190-93) … “Fighting is obligatory for you, much as you dislike it. But you may hate a thing although it is good for you, and love a thing althought it is bad for you. God knows, but you know not” (2:216) … “They will not cease to fight against you until they force you to renounce your faith - if they able. But whoever of you recants and dies an unbeliever, his works shall come to nothing in this world and in the world to come. Such men shall be the tendants of Hell, wherein they shall abide forever. Those that have embraced the Faith, and those that have fled their land and fought for the cause of God, may hope for God’s mercy” (2:217-18) … “God does not guide the evil-doers” (2:258) … “God does not guide the unbelievers” (2:264) … “The evil-doers shall have none to help them” (2:270) … “God gives guidance to whom He will” (2:272).

That is from only one surah. I love how Muslims claim critics take “a few quotes”, out of context, and try to paint the whole religion in a negative light using those quotes. But the reality is that there are hundreds of passages in the Qur’an demonizing non-believers. You can hardly get two or three pages through the Qur’an without hearing about how God “mocks, scorns, ridicules, punishes, condemns, scourges” unbelievers and apostates.

Oh and by the way sleep depraved, I have read the Qur’an twice from cover to cover, read parts of the ahadith and sira, and have studied Islamic history in my spare time as much as I can for the past three years. Don’t bother with pathetic attempts at calling me “ignorant” or claiming that I “misunderstand” Islam.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”]"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.

spook -

Don’t waste your time TC. Liberals love nothing better than to criticize Christianity when Islam is discussed, as if the two religions cannot be talked about separately. I wonder, if Christianity is criticized, should Christians be allowed to lambast Judaism and Greek paganism? How about Buddhism? Jainism? Or can a discussion of Judaism take place without exposing the depravity of the polytheistic Levantine faiths that existed before it?

Islam is a complete religion, related to but significantly different from both Judaism and Christianity, not to mention pre-Islamic Arabic paganism. Islam can be discussed, praised, or criticized without reference to other faiths. Mostly I think liberals just can’t resist the chance to pelt Christianity. Any discussion of any religion on the planet immediately invites criticism of Christianity.

[quote=“Taiwanlight Zone”]MikeN

I’m a little confused. I’m having a discussion with (I presume) a Moslem and you’re hitting me with Catholic theology?? [/quote]

BUWAHAHAHAHHAHAA :yay: :wanker: :wall:

Case in point. Don’t be confused Taiwanlight Zone. MikeN is the master of this game. He doesn’t defend Islam, nor does he contribute to the discussion, he just throws a jab or two at Christianity because the topic is quasi-related. :wink:

I’ve really enjoyed your posts in this thread by the way :slight_smile:

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]Here’s a grouping of quotes from the Quran, compended by the neuroscientist and atheist philosopher Sam Harris
[…]
Liberals love nothing better than to criticize Christianity when Islam is discussed, as if the two religions cannot be talked about separately. I wonder, if Christianity is criticized, should Christians be allowed to lambast Judaism and Greek paganism? How about Buddhism? Jainism? Or can a discussion of Judaism take place without exposing the depravity of the polytheistic Levantine faiths that existed before it? [/quote]Why not quote Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation in full? He not concerned with this or that religion, nor this or that sect, but with the irrationality of the religious mind in general. He certainly makes it clear that religion is the problem.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]
Oh and by the way sleep depraved, I have read the Qur’an twice from cover to cover, read parts of the ahadith and sira, and have studied Islamic history in my spare time as much as I can for the past three years. Don’t bother with pathetic attempts at calling me “ignorant” or claiming that I “misunderstand” Islam.[/quote]Book smart, ignorant as my hind end as to the way it’s lived.

Ever read of the group of 19th-Century European art enthusiasts who were all in a tizzy over Indian art and its 8-armed statues and such? Booked group passage to the East, took one look, blanched, realized that they didn’t have a clue what they’d been talking about, dropped the whole thing and moved on.

But your books and scholarship provide better insight, right?

The whole point of comparisons against Christianity is that any idiot the least familiar with the religion will recognize that its practices and norms are NOT defined by scripture alone. Nor would you assume that it is. And yet, this is the standard that you apply to Islam.

So, why the double standard?
At least Sam Harris is consistent in the application of his arguments.

[color=blue]and you are clearly ignoring the good.

for every one line on here related to violence there are hundreds and hundreds of others that are not.

as with every religion there’s good and bad but the ovewhelming majority of muslims live their whole lives for the good and don’t dwell on the lines and stories you and others quoted (a lot of ppl aren’t even exposed to those.) personally, I live by the five pillars and I have peace of mind. And I recognize and respect that other people from other religions have peace of mind from their beliefs. Isn’t that the point of religion?

and if power hungry men want to use it as a weapon, the fault should be with those people and not the faith.[/color]

[quote=“gao_bo_han”][quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“spook”]"If your own full brother, or your son or daughter, or your beloved wife, or you intimate friend, entices you secretly to serve other gods, whom you and your fathers have not known, gods of any other nations, near at hand or far away, from one end of the earth to the other: do not yield to him or listen to him, nor look with pity upon him, to spare or shield him, but kill him. Your hand shall be the first raised to slay him; the rest of the people shall join in with you. You shall stone him to death, because he sought to lead you astray from the Lord, your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, that place of slavery. And all Israel, hearing of this, shall fear and never do such evil as this in your midst.

spook -

Don’t waste your time TC. Liberals love nothing better than to criticize Christianity when Islam is discussed, as if the two religions cannot be talked about separately. I wonder, if Christianity is criticized, should Christians be allowed to lambast Judaism and Greek paganism? How about Buddhism? Jainism? Or can a discussion of Judaism take place without exposing the depravity of the polytheistic Levantine faiths that existed before it?

Islam is a complete religion, related to but significantly different from both Judaism and Christianity, not to mention pre-Islamic Arabic paganism. Islam can be discussed, praised, or criticized without reference to other faiths. Mostly I think liberals just can’t resist the chance to pelt Christianity. Any discussion of any religion on the planet immediately invites criticism of Christianity.[/quote]

Do you think the person who said the following would agree with you?

“Judge not, that ye be not judged. For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother’s eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Or how wilt thou say to thy brother, Let me pull the mote out of thine eye; and behold, a beam is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye; and then shalt thou see clearly to cast the mote out of thy brother’s eye.”
– Matthew 7:1-5

When you get down to it, it is useless to talk religion with “conservatives” as they hate the bible’s New Testament with a passion normally reserved for fevered instant-messaging chats with Congressional pages. Watch them twist the Parable of the Talents around and their utter ignorance of Matthew 19:23-24. Jesus spoke of love, and these “conservatives” spend their time talking in terms of hate – hate of the poor, hate of non-whites, and so on.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”][quote=“Taiwanlight Zone”]MikeN

I’m a little confused. I’m having a discussion with (I presume) a Moslem and you’re hitting me with Catholic theology?? [/quote]

BUWAHAHAHAHHAHAA :yay: :wanker: :wall:

Case in point. Don’t be confused Taiwanlight Zone. MikeN is the master of this game. He doesn’t defend Islam, nor does he contribute to the discussion, he just throws a jab or two at Christianity because the topic is quasi-related. :wink:

I’ve really enjoyed your posts in this thread by the way :slight_smile:[/quote]

Uh, how was this a jab at Christianity? It was, rather, pointing out to Taiwanlightzone that Christianity (Catholicism anyway) also classifies at least some non-believers as ignorant. To call someone raised in the Muslim faith- or Buddhist or Hindu etc.- “ignorant” in this sense is not an insult. The concept of “invincible ignorance” is in fact a compassionate one- it holds that people who reject Christ because of their upbringing or other reasons outside their control will not necessarily be damned.

For example, in Beijing in 1986 I was teaching a class of senior high school teachers who had been brought from the provinces to improve their English.
In the course of their studies of literature they came across many Biblical references. Now these people had been raised during the Cultural Revolution and its aftermath so they knew almost nothing about the Judeao-Christian tradition, and asked me to explain it. I tried to give them as straight-forward and honest interpretation as I could, but I didn’t make many converts.

Some would say that these students had therefore refused the Gospel; the doctrine of “invincible ignorance” absolves them of blame. It is rejected by many Protestants and is controversial within the Catholic Church because it appears to say that accepting Christ is not necessary for salvation.
Not being a theologian, (or a believer in Heaven) I won’t get into the argument.

My point to Taiwanlightzone is that most “salvationist religions”, including Christianity and Buddhism, consider people who reject their Revealed Truths to be “ignorant”- it’s not a peculiar characteristic of Islam.

BTW, Islam is my least favourite religion because of its larger percentage of zealots, its intolerance of other beliefs (especially atheists like me) and its treatment of women. I’m more favourable to Christianity since it was house-broken by the Enlightenment and stopped burning people at the stake; I hope Islam will someday mellow out to the point that it too stops trying to force its doctrines down the throats of others.

[quote=“Jaboney”][quote=“gao_bo_han”]Here’s a grouping of quotes from the Quran, compended by the neuroscientist and atheist philosopher Sam Harris
[…]
Liberals love nothing better than to criticize Christianity when Islam is discussed, as if the two religions cannot be talked about separately. I wonder, if Christianity is criticized, should Christians be allowed to lambast Judaism and Greek paganism? How about Buddhism? Jainism? Or can a discussion of Judaism take place without exposing the depravity of the polytheistic Levantine faiths that existed before it? [/quote]Why not quote Sam Harris, Letter to a Christian Nation in full? He not concerned with this or that religion, nor this or that sect, but with the irrationality of the religious mind in general. He certainly makes it clear that religion is the problem.

[quote=“gao_bo_han”]
Oh and by the way sleep depraved, I have read the Qur’an twice from cover to cover, read parts of the ahadith and sira, and have studied Islamic history in my spare time as much as I can for the past three years. Don’t bother with pathetic attempts at calling me “ignorant” or claiming that I “misunderstand” Islam.[/quote]Book smart, ignorant as my hind end as to the way it’s lived.

Ever read of the group of 19th-Century European art enthusiasts who were all in a tizzy over Indian art and its 8-armed statues and such? Booked group passage to the East, took one look, blanched, realized that they didn’t have a clue what they’d been talking about, dropped the whole thing and moved on.

But your books and scholarship provide better insight, right?

The whole point of comparisons against Christianity is that any idiot the least familiar with the religion will recognize that its practices and norms are NOT defined by scripture alone. Nor would you assume that it is. And yet, this is the standard that you apply to Islam.

So, why the double standard?
At least Sam Harris is consistent in the application of his arguments.[/quote]

LOL. I suggest you read Harris’ “The End of Faith”, which is where the quotes come from, not “Letter to a Christian Nation”, which does not address Islam at all. There is a very long chapter in the “End of Faith” with a scathing criticism of Islam. Let’s hear what Harris has to say about the Religion of Peace.

So what do you think? An open declaration of war strong enough for you? In the “End of Faith”, in public speeches, and in essays, Harris makes clear that the tenets of Christianity, Buddhism, Jainism, and a variety of other religions are not nearly as dangerous as those of Islam, for the precise reasons I have argued on here ad infinitum. Here’s is an essay by Harris published in the LA Times about Head-in-the-Sand Liberals (that is the actual subtitle of the article)

samharris.org/site/full_text … iberalism/

Enjoy!

MikeN, my sentiments exactly. Christianity is a pale veneer of what it once was, and I’m immensely glad for it, being an atheist myself. Islam still holds greater sway over Muslims, who have experienced no such thing as the Enlightenment. Maybe one day that will change. But it’s not going to change if we continue to perpetuate the myth that Islam is an inherently peaceful religion that does not need reform. Just pushing our heads in the sand and ignoring the doctrinal violence in Islam will not make it go away. You should check out the link to the Harris article if you have time. I am not saying you’ve got your head in the sand as others do, but Harris succintly makes the case that PC-liberalism may end up destroying our civilization.