Problems with the new version of the website

Hi guys, well first of all i want to say that i love this website, i use it every day and check it all day…
the last version of it, updated recently has shown a lot more delay than the previous one, sometimes it wont load…
besides i get this error:
"
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User forumosa200808 has already more than ‘max_user_connections’ active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
"
do you know what is this happening?

Yeah, I just had problems with the site being down for 15 mins or so.

Launching a new version of the software. Expect further glitches until things have stabilized.

[quote=“omerojs”]Hi guys, well first of all I want to say that i love this website, i use it every day and check it all day…
the last version of it, updated recently has shown a lot more delay than the previous one, sometimes it wont load…
besides I get this error:
"
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

User forumosa200808 has already more than ‘max_user_connections’ active connections [1203]

An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
"
do you know what is this happening?[/quote]
Yeah, I got that error for a while yesterday and for a while today.

[quote=“omerojs”]Hi guys, well first of all I want to say that i love this website, i use it every day and check it all day…
besides I get this error:
"
General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

"
do you know what is this happening?[/quote]
Thanks for the nice comments, omerojs

The software doesn’t seem to be closing database connections after it opens them. Or at least it isn’t doing it fast enough. The problem seems to be here: dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/ … tions.html

References:
phpbb.com/community/viewtopi … &t=1129915
phpbb.com/community/viewtopi … &t=1080085
phpbb.com/community/viewtopi … &t=1075665
phpbb.com/community/viewtopi … 6&t=911635

I’m communicating with our web-host about this

Anyone one have any suggestions for alternative solutions? We could roll back the older version, but that is no longer supported software so we’ll have to change at some point

We could also switch completely to vBulletin. I’d like to hear people’s thoughts

I’ve heard back from our webhost (HostExpress) and we have now doubled our number of max database connections to 800 :sunglasses:

If you still encounter this problem (if it crashes for this reason), please SMS me at +86 1366 1677 399. At that point, we’ll raise the max connections again. HostExpress has warned that raising the limit too high too fast also isn’t good

NOTE: I’m still trying to rebuild the search index - only managed to get thru 1/6 of the database as of last night. This could also be pushing us to the connections limit. So let’s see how things play out for the first week (after the search index is fully built) before doing anything drastic

Under the section labeled:“Board Preferences”

It has the singular language choice of “British English”

I do not speak “British English.”

I am a USA citizen :America:. I speak 'American eng-lish. Will this option be instated in the board?

Other than that minor issue, it looks like the board functions well and is a good job!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Under the section labeled:“Board Preferences”

I am a USA citizen :America:. I speak 'American eng-lish. Will this option be instated in the board?[/quote]
I hear you. At the moment, it seems to be the only language option available. We’ll “fix” this asap

And, anyways, ain’t it called “Queens English”…
(I won’t even go there)
:wink:

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Under the section labeled:“Board Preferences”

I am a USA citizen :America:. I speak 'American eng-lish. Will this option be instated in the board?

Other than that minor issue, it looks like the board functions well and is a good job![/quote]

Anyone know what he just said? I can’t make it out at all. :wink:

[quote=“irishstu”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Under the section labeled:“Board Preferences”

Other than that minor issue, it looks like the board functions well and is a good job![/quote]

Anyone know what he just said? I can’t make it out at all. :wink:[/quote]
Cheeky sot.

[quote=“Surly”][quote=“irishstu”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Under the section labeled:“Board Preferences”

Anyone know what he just said? I can’t make it out at all. :wink:[/quote]
Cheeky sot.[/quote]

Anyone? :wink:

Oh its all fun & games now is it?

But just you wait until the yellow hordes are ramming their disease laden fingers down yer gob with glee and abandon…then you’ll wish you had some one to talk with!

Possibly something to do with PHP’s persistent connection settings, though I’m not sure whether it means they should be on or off :wink:

If you turn them on, and set Apache’s slave pool size to some reasonable number, it might fix it (since it wouldn’t have to establish a new connection for every request), but it might also mean things would be slower at peak times if Apache ran out of slaves.

[quote=“Goose Egg”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Under the section labeled:“Board Preferences”

I am a USA citizen :America:. I speak 'American eng-lish. Will this option be instated in the board?[/quote]
I hear you. At the moment, it seems to be the only language option available. We’ll “fix” this asap

(I won’t even go there)
:wink:[/quote]This option doesn’t do anything to the language you input. You can even write in Oz or Kiwi if you like. (The spellchecker that some people have noticed in recent weeks is an integral part of Firefox; nothing to do with Forumosa.)

I presume that all this option controls is the spellings of a few controls within the board software. For example, on the right of the message composing window is the “Font colour” selection bar.

well i am happy to help !!! sorry i cant really advice since i am EE, and my experience with servers and database is not that much, but since i visit the website very often (around ones every hour when my real work is not that heavy) i could check if it happens again or if i see any mayor problem…
what did happen is that the last 2 times i had to re-login to enter again, and 2 or 3 times it timed out before i could open the website…
btw, if you guys are not comfortable with me saying if there is a problem maybe because you already know it, let me know !!! i am just trying to help because i really like it…
BR,
Omerojs… :cluck:

What happened to the little flags. I remember some skull & Crossbones and issues with Taiwanese flag resolution and weeks of conversation plus the talented Irish Stu creating all sorts of miniature flag type marvels. Will they be coming back or was all that in vain? :uk: :America: :canada: :Europe:

I find there isn’t a lot of contrast between the colors for “new messages” and “no new messages”, and have to squint to see the difference.

Or maybe I just need more sleep.

[quote=“joesax”][quote=“Goose Egg”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Under the section labeled:“Board Preferences”

I am a USA citizen :America:. I speak 'American eng-lish. Will this option be instated in the board?[/quote]I hear you. At the moment, it seems to be the only language option available. We’ll “fix” this asap

(I won’t even go there)
:wink:[/quote]This option doesn’t do anything to the language you input. You can even write in Oz or Kiwi if you like. (The spellchecker that some people have noticed in recent weeks is an integral part of Firefox; nothing to do with Forumosa.)
I presume that all this option controls is the spellings of a few controls within the board software. For example, on the right of the message composing window is the “Font colour” selection bar.[/quote]
Thanks Folks…like I said…minor issue.

Now about the [color=#FF0000]‘ignore’[/color] feature…coming back or am I missing it somehow?

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Thanks Folks…like I said…minor issue.

Now about the [color=#FF0000]‘ignore’[/color] feature…coming back or am I missing it somehow?[/quote]
I think you mean minour and ignoure.

[quote=“KingZog”][quote=“TainanCowboy”]Thanks Folks…like I said…minor issue.

Now about the [color=#FF0000]‘ignore’[/color] feature…coming back or am I missing it somehow?[/quote]
I think you mean minour and ignoure.[/quote]
Quite possibly I mean [color=#0000BF]‘Friend’[/color] & [color=#008000]‘Foe’[/color] if my guess is correct.