Progressive Racism

So snippy.

Iā€™m quite selective with my snippiness. Consider yourself privileged.

3 Likes

with the outrage too. A real Renaissance man, versatile!

What outrage?

1 Like

Did you ever read Ulysses?

Iā€™ve ignored this up to now but youā€™ve piqued my interest. How is this relevant?

2 Likes

Came across this today, I thought it was an interesting counterpoint

1 Like

Always good to get both sides on the record, for what itā€™s worth the writer of the article touches on the key issue, and kind of gives away his own opinion without actually discussing the issue or the implication. Which I think is a bit dishonest.

Itā€™s true too that Israel/Palestine has become a totemic cause on the left, much as South African apartheid was in the 70s and 80s or the Vietnam War in the 60s.

Labour in the UK is overwhelmingly backing the BDS movement, whose goal is to treat Israel as a pariah state, as was South Africa by all the worlds countries.

Now you can argue for against the situation in Israel/Palestine, you could take a position on if BDS is a good/bad idea.

What is not very hard to envision, is how Jewish people, all over the world, will be viewed once the world decides to go down the path of giving Israel the South African treatment, because we have been down that path before and I can remember how South Africans were viewed at the time. They were despised.

The writer canā€™t see it, fine. The writer seems to think Israel deserve it, fine, thatā€™s his opinion. He canā€™t see how any of this could go sideways for Jewish people? Heā€™s wrong and there are a lot of Muslims in the UK that would drive this narrative against the Jewish community relentlessly.

1 Like

Anti-semitism is caused by the jews? Umā€¦ok.

In the US most religious hate crimes are against jews. And it seems that those are perpetrated mostly by ethnic minorities.

Dunno on the stats, White Supremacists too if we are going to be intellectually honest. In fact I do remember reading somewhere White Supremacists make up the majority of attacks against Jewish people in the US, but donā€™t hold me to it. Old fashioned racism and anti semitisim, is alive and well unfortunately, just not to the extent the far left seem to imagine.

1 Like

I thought I read that most attacks are against orthodox jews who largely live in cities, and that it was speculated that it was retaliation for taking over the neighborhoods. But I doubt the data on this is good because of the biased lenses through which it is collected.

But if they do deserve it, then they do. Are you saying that policy should be driven by how people might respond to people connected to the country that is the object of the policy? That seems like a strange and idiosyncratic way to decide on policy.

I am sympathetic to some pushing for the BDS movement, against say Rashida Tlaib, if that was her view. She is of Palestinian decent and has every right to feel that way.

Not so, Iā€™m saying the policy will have an affect on Jewish people. That is all.

Israel/Palestine is complicated and peoples opinions are formed by looking at the situation from different perspectives. To decide policy it largely depends on the perspective taken.

But thatā€™s not what I am saying, just that the writer claims how he canā€™t see how this will affect Jewish people, especially those outside Israel. I am saying itā€™s pretty clear there is a good chance there will be an adverse affect.

Butā€™s thatā€™s all, not to argue the rights and wrongs or if itā€™s good or bad policy.

Do I have to watch this rubbish all the way to the end, or can I stop after her bringing up one black professor nut-head.
Anyhow, my takeaway from this is that I should brush my teeth more often.

1 Like