Proper Kebab - Where art thou?

I’m not sure if these places will delight you, but in Taipei City’s Gongguan area you have at least two alternatives: Falafel King (vegetarian fare made by a hard-working young guy from Israel) and Abdu (various foods made by a guy from Morocco). Both are very affordable.

In searching for Abdu, I also noticed another Moroccan place named Tajin Moroccan Cuisine near the Tonghua Night Market. I have not been so I am unsure if this is to be recommended, especially to a forumosan with the word “Paris” in their moniker. :upside_down_face:

Guy

4 Likes

Falafel king is indeed very good, unfortunately i live far from Gongguan.

2 Likes

This place is good ,

location is at Taipei Nanjichang Night Market 台北南機場夜市

4 Likes

Safranbolu (Facebook link) has lahmacun.

The other day, inspired I think by Laorencha on Twitter, I did an UberEats search for lahmacun and got a truly shocking number of hits - then I realized it was somehow giving me every place that serves danbing. That was disappointing. (The search was on my phone and I can’t now duplicate it on my computer.)

3 Likes

Anyone know any down south by chance?

Isn’t that one of the ones that they have in many night markets around Taipei, usually using bread rolls rather than flatbread, or is there something special about this particular guy? I’ve always kind of avoided the former…

Lots do a simple flat bread style (essentially just a flour torilla) on an upside down wok. The ones i have had wouldnt pass as authentic anywhere perhaps, but pretty good regardless. avoid the mayo/ketchup/peanut butter guys.

I’ve seen the upside-down wok used before actually, but not in those night market places. All the ones I’ve seen (and the single one I’ve had) were in bread rolls, which just seems wrong to me! Also the chicken always just looked a bit…funky. :grimacing:

Nan Kebab near Taipower Building is pretty decent - I used to go there on weekends quite a lot for the tandoori chicken (which they only have on weekends).

5 Likes

I often eat at the 22 (Liang Liang hao) in ctbc Nangang:

It’s extremely different to a Döner Kebab. More like those sweet-ish night market thingies that you rightfully avoid. I tried it once and never again.

However… They have some really good (in my opinion) wraps, they call it burrito. I prefer the B2 with extra spicy sauce, or the R1 rice bowl:

3 Likes

I second this recommendation—though I find his food a tad too salty and wish he would tone it down, which can be done by requesting him NOT to add his tamarind sauce.

Location: Tingzhou Road on the southeast corner of the Xinhai Road intersection, not far from Taipower Building MRT Station on the Green Line.

ADDENDUM: If he has it in stock, I highly recommend his milk tea, prepared with one of the tastiest masalas around. :yum:

Guy

5 Likes

If you mean the thing that Brits/Commonwealthers call a kebab, that’s more like a pita. I recommend Pita Bar in Tianmu.

If you mean an actual kabab, which is meat and veggies on skewers, I don’t know where to get a proper middle eastern style one here. Of course Japanese skewers are very common here.

6 Likes

I don’t mind the tamarind sauce personally, and I never noticed it being too salty (I usually just have the tandoori chicken and the sauce, and I tend to save vegetables for special occasions).

I’m not a huge fan of the weeknight options myself (more curry-like with a mixture of, I don’t know, onions, spices, and a meat that varies with the day). They’re alright, and it’s more an issue of my pickiness than a criticism of his food, but I definitely prefer waiting until the weekend to get the tandoori chicken.

3 Likes

I thought kebabs were supposed to be really salty as one’s taste buds are napalmed after ten pints.

2 Likes

Maybe that was my problem. I skipped the “napalmed” part beforehand.

Guy

2 Likes

Justification: Salt out, salt in. In hot ass dry weather where people wear sun protective clothing a person sweats lots, losing valuable salts. Salty kebab, enter.

In cooler (eg in AC, the arctic etc) or more humid environments we sweat less and thus salt intake should be adjusted to lower levels. Thus, if we wish to eat ultra salty kebabs, we need to lose more salts (balance). To save the kidneys of course (still fucked, but think like atoilet and flush). A good way is drinking beer (not hard bar) in order to stimulate urination/dehydration. Let the liver work for the kidneys sometimes, dont lettheir double status privelage control the day. A good rule is every 3 beer have a big glass of water along with your salty fare.

#a study showed…
#current research suggests…

2 Likes

This study has been brought to you by the Salty Kebabs Association of the World (SKAW). Results may or may not be true. :rofl:

Guy

4 Likes

Truth is a social construct man. Research ongoing. Keep the grant money teet pumping!

Anywho.

As many posts above alude to sandwiches, pita and all sorts of like~but~not concoctions. I feel the answers to so many life questions, such as where thetaiwan kebabs exist, are found in simplicity.

Instead of following random internet suggeations for restaurants like sheep. Make them. It is so insanely easy it hurts. Only refrigeration required.

All the meat is available in taiwan. Lamb is expensive, but here. Goat and ther alternatives are cheaper.

Think Taiwanese BBQ culture. I mean home bbq, not dine in. So the setup for kebab is already here, and intensely common and even very cheap. And if i may insert my speal, easy to buy NOT made in china!

So then the only non taiwanese thing to consider is the flavor. Marinade . Enter refrigeration (students understand this pain). All the spices and ingredients exist here, just google. Probably the only difficult one to find here is the sumac, which isnt that similar to the local species so it remains an issue. But kebab is fine without it.

kebabs are EASY. 300 in spices/marinade ingredients, 3 hundred in bbq equipment, a park and whatever your meat costs. Even the skewers are found in literally every baihuo…

Even most highly populated areas’ night markets essentially sell kebabs they just use different preperation, meat cuts and spices. And call it bbq.

Hint hint;) a 6 person party can get it done in public for 600nt plus meat cost if they are starting from scratch. all non chinese :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Went here once and wrote it off because of the sweetish bread roll. I’ll have to give it another chance and try that burrito.

1 Like

I ate there recently. It was alright. It was empty when we went (about 2 on a weekday). The food was decent but I thought it was a little pricey.

The kebabs were definitely better than the pide but the pide was still pretty alright. All in all not bad at all, bit not mind blowingly awesome in my opinion.

I loved the decorations though. Apparently they work with an art studio that offers classes for making pottery and I think glass

2 Likes

Try the Kunming Islamic Restaurant. Reasonably priced and an eclectic mix of halal dishes including kebabs. I haven’t tried their kebabs so don’t know how they rate.

4 Likes