Proposal for Slavery Reparations

Amen to that.

And Northerners like to think that Jim Crow was only a Southern thing, but places like Chicago had their own form of it as well.

2 Likes

35 years is a long time to go to school

Nonsense.

We all get help. ā€œBootstrappingā€ is a euphemism for ā€œlearning how to fit into and benefit from the system as is.ā€

1 Like

Iā€™m donā€™t have the exact statistics off the top of my head. By last time I check, single parent home by racial demographic is the highest for AA. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

And being a single parent is correlated to poverty. Itā€™s extremely hard to build wealth as a single parent.

Another solution I was think about to help AA is low interest business loans. I think itā€™s much easier to connect to something if you have money invested.

3 Likes

I was told the UK is more classist than racist. For example, I was pulled aside and told to never wear anything but black shoes working in finance or in high society like a members club. No brown in town is still a thing and most people from the underclass donā€™t know it.

Hereā€™s an interesting article. How well-heeled City types leave you brown and out in finance | Banking | The Guardian

And I believe people judge hard on accents in the UK. Some accents are posh and others are for country peasants.

I think problems arise when ā€˜classā€™ overlaps perfectly with ā€˜raceā€™. When your ā€˜raceā€™ defines your ā€˜classā€™ something is definitely amiss. Which of course does not mean that nothing is amiss if class is defined in other ways. But itā€™s clearly unfair if itā€™s ā€˜raceā€™ based.

1 Like

IME, London is full of wealthy Asians, blacks, Arabs, and Indians. Itā€™s all about class there. Race isnā€™t that big of a thing IME. Of course the rest of the UK isnā€™t like London at all.

Itā€™s a complex web in every place right. I had two separate six month stints in the US. San Fran and New Haven Connecticut. In New Haven the was a definite race thing going on. San Fran not so much. I think the US has the potential to get past it. But what way is the world going anywayā€¦@2020

1 Like

OK, then UBI for everyone making under 100k.

Decent housing ļ¼Œ schoolingļ¼Œ record expunging, drug decriminalisation. Proactive hiring. Maybe itā€™s not that hard to think of the solutions it just costs $$$ mostly .
Police need to be reformed as well.

1 Like

Housing has got to be a huge part of it. Confining black people to overcrowded housing projects full of crime drugs and militarized police reinforces the cycle of violence.

Prison reform should be immediate. No more private prisons and release convicts for small time crimes like petty weed sales etc. Get rid of mandatory minimums and Corporations using convicts for cheap labor.

Recidivism programs need to be put in place and jobs programs for former convicts are key.

I donā€™t know how single parenting has anything to do with being family oriented. One can come from a single parent home and still have respect for elders, have an education and values. Which is what you said upthread about AAs.

And when people want to make a negative point about Blacks they always use statistics. :smirk:

2 Likes

Yeah Ive heard that too.

Bingo.

ehhhhhhhā€¦I dunno how reflective this is of the culture as a whole in England but thereā€™s a whole lotta racism going in in soccer hooliganism

@Mick care to weigh in here?

Keeping a nuclear family of a mom and dad is part of being family oriented.

Sure. I wasnā€™t suggesting that single parent homes have no family values. But kids with single parents also have a high correlation with being in prison, living in poverty as adults, teenage pregnancy, dropping out of HS, and also starting another single family. When 3/4 black kids in the US are born to single moms, itā€™s a serious concern. What is more interesting is black immigrants have a much lower rate of kids born to single moms at around 30%, less than half the rate of AA.

My point isnā€™t to just make negative points about blacks. Itā€™s talking about issues that I see.

Charles Barkley has been saying this about black youth and education. When he goes and speak at predominantly black schools, most of them want to play sports professionally.

1 Like

Okay I hear your points. Yet itā€™s being overlooked how many social policies have fueled the breakdown in the AA family as well.

In other wordsā€¦ respectability politics are at play here.

But I do agree that a nuclear family does provide a child with better opportunities however it has to be acknowledged that even single parent homes do and can produce children who go on to be successful.

Just ask President Obama.

1 Like

Yes. This is certainly true.

Absolutely. People are certainly able to carve their own path.

1 Like

And President Clinton (purely in terms of success per se)

1 Like

Well ainā€™t he Black, too? :joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes