Proposed New Immigration Measures (January 2023 edition)

Or we could as suggested put in a proper legal alternative and support system (according to @tando this is already in place just not widely known), while making the option that would make them more vulnerable less attractive.

Just because you think that the runaways are bad people don’t mean that thay are. They could just be people in a bad situation.

It’s satire…satire.

1 Like

don’t be lazy. enough public information is there, if you are interested in. you don’t know, you don’t care.

I tried google and couldn’t find it, but I do t speak Chinese. In the past when people have needed it I never found anything like it. So I’m asking if you know where this information is please pass it on.

Particular safe houses or official support networks for overseas workers who are in a vulnerable situation.

Enough info on some currently available things in English.

https://www.wda.gov.tw/en/News_Content.aspx?n=8E8FA34452E8DBC2&s=4B08E109578D2D32

Directions of the Employment Transfer Regulations and Employment Qualifications for Foreigners Engaging in the Jobs Specified in Items 8 to 11,Paragraph 1,Article 46 of the Employment Services Act

Key Points of Temporary Resettlement Operations for Foreigners Who Are Hired to Engage in the Works regulated in Subparagraphs 8 to 11 of Paragraph 1 of Article 46 of the Employment Service Law

Labor Development and Management Zi No. 1070506159
Foreigners who have sought help from the 1955 Labor Consultation and Complaint Hotline, the Ministry of Labor (hereinafter referred to as the Ministry), local competent authorities, resettlement units filed with the Ministry, or the representative office of the country of origin in Taiwan within 3 days of leaving the employer, and have notification or resettlement records, That is, it is not “lost contact”.

You can find resource table for foreign labor shelter and resettlement units online.

And you can contact to lawyers, councilors, NIA, WDA, migrant workers associations, relevant NGOs, etc. for the worker, if you really care.

i googled it in English for you.

5 Likes

Also worth noting that Taiwan has done at least one or two recent amnesty programs for people who’ve overstayed their visas. The last one I read of was in 2020:

Incidentally, a former friend/acquaintance of mine tried to participate in this amnesty program after having overstayed for quite some time. He was rather cagey on the topic for obvious reasons, but from what he told me the implementation seemed…characteristically suboptimal for Taiwan.

Apparently when he called to turn himself in, immigration (or whoever it is that processes this) informed him that they had too many people to deal with at the moment and wouldn’t be able to arrange deportation for another month or two. I’ve mostly lost touch with him over the last couple of years, but from what I understand he subsequently moved to another city and never followed through with the amnesty program.

2 Likes

I have 2 question about this 52 draft amendments to the Immigration Act:
1)do you think this year will the legislative yuan will passed this amendments than the previous new economic immigration bill of 2018?
2)are this 52 draft amendments to the immigration act dont have any overlap in other existing laws like the new economic immigration bill?

1 Like

From what I can see in my neighbourhood, nothing’s changed: driving is still horrendous, roads and walkways still as of old.

Then it sounds like these articles are not quite the agents of change that people are making them out to be.

Change has to come from within. Simply hoping that foreign media’s token coverage of one or two of Taiwan’s domestic issues will somehow embarrass the country into compliance and somehow have Western countries expend goodwill into a (from an international diplomacy perspective) non-issue, is a fantasy. Taiwan would have to do something so egregious for diplomats to take notice.

IMO.

1 Like

So they are going to be a lot more strict with illegal immigration, but what are the key positive changes?

1 Like

many of the overlap parts in the new economic immigration bill and immigration acts may be in this amendment draft.

Some points on NWOHRs are

• NWOHRs from visa exempt countries may be exempted from entry permit.
  • NWOHRs with parent with HHR at birth don’t need to wait for a year to get HHR. adults need to enter with ROC passport. currently, it is just for such minors.
  • the same period of residency to get a HHR via the employment with other circumstances. currently, it is longer than others.
  • the minimum is a year with more than 334 days in Taiwan. curently, a short exit reset the clock.
  • can get regidency after 5 years of continuous stay is Taiwan. it is 7 years now.
  • residency for NWOHR after graduate from TW schools to do professional works. I’m not sure but currently it might be they cannot get residency by other categories before two years of service in their original countries.
2 Likes

:rofl: They do such a good job with locals.

12 posts were split to a new topic: From Immigration measures

Are there more detailed information available ?
This is a HUGE thing for many APRC holder (getting their status via marriage)

Doubt the internal will is there either. Gotta keep it real, just like great-grandpa left it, and grandpa likes it. Otherwise the country will lose its charm :laughing:

Right now I am watching a story that parallels Taiwan in almost every way. Foreign media, a small debate with the local media reporting on the foreign media, a foreigner that is upset at the perceived lower quality. The whole shabang.
https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/italy-family-sicily-letter-debate/index.html

Peas in a pod from the looks of it. They have the same playbook: Officials digging in and brushing off suggestions.

Pierpaolo Coppa, a Syracuse education official, said it was “wrong to compare the Italian and Finnish teaching models which are completely different” and that “two months isn’t enough to judge an education system.”

“Some points raised by the letter could be further discussed, but the professional quality of our teachers is of the highest level,” Coppa told CNN.

Yep. Same shit, different country.

I always wonder if this is why I feel so comfortable here.

2 Likes

i don’t know why the most useful infomation i posted here as a response to the request of @Shaun008 was removed, so i post it here again. if this is off topic, the other less useful post is off topic too.

1 Like

i didn’t find english version. someone may know where it is. meanwhile, this might be better than nothing.

https://ws.moi.gov.tw/Download.ashx?u=LzAwMS9VcGxvYWQvNDAwL3JlbGZpbGUvOTA4Mi8yNzU2MjMvODYwNjI1ZjQtZTlmZi00MjVmLTllMDEtYzdmMjJjZjhhOGZlLnBkZg%3D%3D&n=5YWl5Ye65ZyL5Y%2BK56e75rCR5rOV6YOo5YiG5qKd5paH5L%2Bu5q2j6I2J5qGILnBkZg%3D%3D

4 Likes