Hi, new to the forums thanks for your time and apologies in advance if I’ve made a mistake posting here. I have searched and skimmed through quite a few threads but still have questions. I’ll try to be as brief as possible while covering all the basics.
Who we are:
- Me, my wife + two boys (4, 2) all US citizens (Chinese ethnicity)
- Have business income from the US and will not work in Taiwan
What we want to do:
- Move to Taipei in fall of 2021 and live there for 2-3 years at least
- Want to have son start public school in Taiwan in Sept 2022
So the main question is, can we do that first year (2021-2022) on just tourist visas? What are the pros and cons for this? We would be totally fine doing visa runs, paying for private health insurance, private kindergarten and short term leases. I wonder if opening a bank account would be a stumbling block or is it even necessary? Anything else I’m not thinking about?
Other things to consider:
- A bit hesitant to pursue investment visa
- Would be open to starting a business, but from a strict interpretation of the guidelines I don’t believe we qualify for the entrepreneur visa
- I am planning to apply for the Gold Card but it’s not a slam dunk (one of those gray area criteria so I’d like to prepare a plan B)
- My wife is also a Macau PR. Does this affect things in any way?
- My aunt is a citizen and runs a small business in Taipei with several employees. She is not the owner but is the de facto CEO. Can she (and should I ask her for) help?
Alright many thanks again!