Psychedelic drugs could increase neural plasticity

I am interested if some psychoactive substances could benefit people who have suffered brain trauma? Is anyone else interested in this field (which I feel is making a come back).

2 Likes

Yes. Unfortunately, not legal in Taiwan.

3 Likes

Very interested. If you can get me a blotter of acid I’ll be a willing guinea pig.

3 Likes

Pretty sure a lot of the experiments that are ongoing now and done in recent years were already done in the 60s before it was all banned.
The people involved went on to make brain machines and found they could get similar results.

1 Like

yah, hypothetically speaking of course.

Brain machines ?

1 Like

At least shrooms are decriminalized in certain parts of the U.S. :sunglasses:

I know 2 people who used psychedelics to stop their addiction. So I’m a believer of it having potential medical uses in this domain. If only the taboo around it would fad and let science look into it.

2 Likes

I think there’s some nootropics that promite neurogensis. Similar?

1 Like

What did they take or you don’t wish to divulge that ? Was it like a one off experience or taken several times before the addictions stopped?

LSD was quite popular in finance back in the days :grandpa:

Ayahuasca or ibogain. I can’t remember which, or maybe one did one, and one did the other. It was some kind of rehab for people like this, not in the US because I don’t think it’s legal. Both hopeless heroin addicts and got clean off this. I’m not sure if it’s a 1 time trip or a couple for a period of time though.

1 Like

Oh ok like a retreat in a place it is legal. An innovative approach by their guardians or whoever was looking after them.

1 Like

For a lot of addicts, they’ve gone through many rehabs and it’s kind of a desperate move to try something. I can’t say if it’s something that works for everyone or how best to do it. But I think it’s worth looking into objectively since many people are suffering and would benefit from more treatment options.

1 Like

I only know what Robert Anton Wilson talked about in one of his many speeches you can find online.
It seems he talked about it here and may have had some mind altering experiences:
http://www.hawkridgeproductions.com/goods/raw1.html

2 Likes

Ketamine is an interesting one both for depression and neurogenesis.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/new-study-shows-ketamine-may-regenerate-brain-cells-relieving-depression-with-lasting-benefit-300237551.html

2 Likes

Neurogenesis from an anesthetic? Now that’s unexpected…

2 Likes

I know it makes some addicts lose control of their bladders, so I don’t think people my age should be messing with that. :grin:

Maybe just get in the tub, light some candles? :grin:

1 Like

Check this out!

They seem surprised too

1 Like