Public child abuse normal/acceptable in Taiwan?

Normal daily event. Chinese have no empathy, sympathy or compassion. It’s simply beyond their mental ability to care about other people or animals. Sad depressing place for sure.

How a restaurant full of people can eat while someone is beaten, or 100’s if not 1000’s of people can drive by while someone bleeds to death on the street, I will never understand. I will never understand such cold, heartless, and selfish behavior, but of course I’m just a crazy foreigner.

I’ve observed that there are two type of Chinese.

1. The racist ones that discriminate --> They hate foreigners.

2. The non racist ones that don’t discriminate --> They hate everybody.

The truth is, these are not happy people. Happy people want to spread that happiness to others. On the flip side, people in great pain, will often spread that pain to others even if its completely unconscious. We can only share with others what we have to share. Happy people don’t do the nasty, rude, and often dangerous actions that we see everyday. The sad truth is that both the victim and the perpetrator are suffering. It’s a deeply sick society, one that doesn’t allow honest introspection or communication of natural feelings. These people are under intense pressure to maintain imaginary and irrational face. Sick individuals will never make a healthy society no matter how many Confucian ideals are thrust upon them.

Mother in law going after her grandchild (my nephew), which she raises with some kind of dog whip or whatever resembles a whip. Mum slapping the child with a ruler for only having good grades. Yeah, seen it many times. They don’t hit him so much anymore now, the guy is taller and stronger than the rest of the family now with his 12 years now.
My wife obviously was raised with the same style by her mum, she has some emotional issues (power play to the excess) which I explain by 1) getting hit a lot and 2) being told she was the “third daughter” and would give bad luck to the family.

Guess it’s all right and it’s only me being a funny foreigner about it… After a few years I don’t really get annoyed seeing all this, I just enjoy the cultural experience. Well, that and keeping contact at a minimum.

… Wife said her mum would also take care of our child, when we get one. Well, I am quite happy that we do not have a child.

[quote=“Homey”]Normal daily event. Chinese have no empathy, sympathy or compassion. It’s simply beyond their mental ability to care about other people or animals. Sad depressing place for sure.

How a restaurant full of people can eat while someone is beaten, or 100’s if not 1000’s of people can drive by while someone bleeds to death on the street, I will never understand. I will never understand such cold, heartless, and selfish behavior, but of course I’m just a crazy foreigner.

The truth is, these are not happy people. Happy people want to spread that happiness to others. On the flip side, people in great pain, will often spread that pain to others even if its completely unconscious. We can only share with others what we have to share. Happy people don’t do the nasty, rude, and often dangerous actions that we see everyday. The sad truth is that both the victim and the perpetrator are suffering. It’s a deeply sick society, one that doesn’t allow honest introspection or communication of natural feelings. These people are under intense pressure to maintain imaginary and irrational face. Sick individuals will never make a healthy society no matter how many Confucian ideals are thrust upon them.[/quote]

I assume, since you’re posting here, that you live in Taiwan.

Why?

[quote=“Homey”]Normal daily event. Chinese have no empathy, sympathy or compassion. It’s simply beyond their mental ability to care about other people or animals. Sad depressing place for sure.

The truth is, these are not happy people. . . . and more BS about the “sick individuals” that surround us.[/quote]

My bold.

I’m with Tommy, Ginger, Tomthorne, Rascal, Guanbatt etc. in saying that this is NOT a normal everyday event. Seeing people bleed to death while 1000’s of people drive by is not what I’m seeing at all.

Homey, you . . . ah screw it,
it isn’t even worth debating.

[quote=“zender”][quote=“Homey”]Normal daily event. Chinese have no empathy, sympathy or compassion. It’s simply beyond their mental ability to care about other people or animals. Sad depressing place for sure.

The truth is, these are not happy people. . . . and more BS about the “sick individuals” that surround us.[/quote]

My bold.

I’m with Tommy, Ginger and Tomthorne, Rascal, Guanbatt etc. in saying that this is NOT a normal everyday event. Seeing people bleed to death while 1000’s of people drive by is not what I’m seeing at all.

Homey, you . . . ah screw it,
it isn’t even worth debating.
[/quote]

Not that I’m taking a particular side on this issue, but the guy bleeding on the side of the road while 1000s of people drive by? I’ve seen (and stopped and dealt with) that situation 3 times in 7 years.

Once is an anomaly. Three times is a lot.

I’ve also seen children beat in public more times than I can count (including yesterday), girlfriends punched in the face, and spouses fist fighting in the street. But I’ve also met some of the most wonderful, rational, level-headed parents (and people) in the world.

I think it has a lot to do with how wide you draw your circle. The wider your travels in this country, the more of this sort of thing you are libel to encounter. There are bad people everywhere. If you move home or to Estonia or Tanzania or Fiji you are going to see the same things eventually.

Guess I need to get out more. :laughing:

Perhaps it’s just Hualian? That’s a bit worrying because I’m going there for a vacation end of August.

I’ve been here four years and never seen anything like that. NanKan’s obviously particularly uneventful.

The truth is, these are not happy people. Happy people want to spread that happiness to others. On the flip side, people in great pain, will often spread that pain to others even if its completely unconscious. We can only share with others what we have to share. Happy people don’t do the nasty, rude, and often dangerous actions that we see everyday. The sad truth is that both the victim and the perpetrator are suffering. It’s a deeply sick society, one that doesn’t allow honest introspection or communication of natural feelings. These people are under intense pressure to maintain imaginary and irrational face. Sick individuals will never make a healthy society no matter how many Confucian ideals are thrust upon them.[/quote]

Talking about love, but spreading hate… :unamused:

Indubitably!

Actually, I agree with him in part . . .

The part where he says he’s just a crazy foreigner.

Vay likes to tell this story.

[b]A man once came to a town and asked the local sage, “I’m thinking about moving here. What kinds of people live here?”

The sage asked the man, “What kinds of people live in the town you came from?”

“Where I’m from the people are liars, cheaters, and mean spirited,” the man responded.

“The people are the same here,” said the sage.

Then another man came to town and asked the sage the same question, “I’m thinking about moving here. What kinds of people live here?”

The sage asked the man, “What kinds of people live in the town you came from?”

“Where I’m from the people are wonderful, kind, and courteous,” the man responded.

“The people are the same here,” said the sage.[/b]

I have a major problem with this comment. First it is not necessary to use the adjective Chinese to describe people in Taiwan. People that live in Taiwan are Taiwanese regardless of whether their ancestors may have come from China or elsewhere.

That small point aside this comment displays an extremely racist viewpoint. “Chinese have no empathy, sympathy or compassion. It’s simply beyond their mental ability to care about other people or animals.” WTF? To make such a broad statement that an entire nationality behave in such a way is ridiculous.

The OP raised a very important issue in this thread. I think it is important to recognise that child abuse is a problem in every country in the world. The exact prevalence and people’s response to it may differ from country to country, but it exists everywhere.

Dear Gamemaker,

In my opinion, you are reporting child abuse in an informal way.

It is now my moral obligation, your moral obligation, and others’ moral
obligation who read this thread to report this case.

Information is key to how we can proceed any further with reporting this to
the correct authorities.

The child abuse occurred on the premises of a global corporation
(McDonald’s).

Hopefully, you will be able to remember the exact time, date and venue of
when this child abuse occurred. You can have a look at your McDonald’s
purchase receipt, recent call history on your cell phone or from knowledge
of your activities on that particular day.

This is how I would proceed with following up on this child abuse case.

1. Go back to the McDonald’s and determine whether CCTV (closed-circuit
    television) video may or may have not captured the child abuse.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed-circuit_television

2. If you can determine that it is possible that the child abuse was
    recorded on CCTV video, then everything you do from now on will be
    backed-up by (a) eye-witness accounts from you (and other people identified
    in the video) as well as from (b) the video itself.

3. A. No, there isn’t CCTV footage available of the child abuse. Report the
    child abuse in formal writing to the:

Child Welfare Bureau
(cbi.gov.tw/CBI%5F2/internet/ … index.aspx).

Report the Child abuse in formal writing to:

McDonald’s Taiwan (mcdonalds.com.tw/) and McDonald’s
Headquarters (USA) (mcdonalds.com/contact/contact_us.html).

These organizations will have the knowledge and awareness of how to
proceed.

If anything, it will highlight a need for McDonald’s to protect a business
image by means of ensuring that a child abuse case will never again happen
on their premises of business.

The Child Welfare Bureau will have one more opportunity to highlight the
need for Child Protection Acts.

It is quite possible that family that committed the child abuse will not
only follow a routine of beatings, but also a routine of daily/weekend
routine. Worth sitting it out in McDonald’s with a camera.

B) Yes, there is a possibility of CCTV footage available of the child
abuse. Report the child abuse in formal writing to the:

Child Welfare Bureau
(cbi.gov.tw/CBI%5F2/internet/ … index.aspx).

Report the Child abuse in formal writing to:

McDonald’s Taiwan (mcdonalds.com.tw/) and McDonald’s
Headquarters (USA) (mcdonalds.com/contact/contact_us.html).

Do this in the most formal manner possible. Supply as many details as
possible. They should not have to ask you too many questions about the
child abuse. They will (be forced to) take immediate action. Inform the
McDonald’s corporation and The Child Welfare Bureau of the actions you
intend to take. Expect/Demand a written reply within 3 working days. Inform
them of alternative media forms of making sure that you are heard. First,
give them the opportunity to guide you in the proceedings. If this fails
within a certain time frame, there are many other means of being heard from
facebook causes to political representatives/administration.

Involve people, don’t fight it on your own.

Look at different forums and child protection websites for info. They work
in collaboration. I am entitled to my opinion on how you should proceed. I
have leaned more about how I would proceed.

Most importantly, take action!

You have my support,

[quote=“wix”][quote=“Homey”]Normal daily event. Chinese have no empathy, sympathy or compassion. It’s simply beyond their mental ability to care about other people or animals. Sad depressing place for sure.

I have a major problem with this comment. First it is not necessary to use the adjective Chinese to describe people in Taiwan. People that live in Taiwan are Taiwanese regardless of whether their ancestors may have come from China or elsewhere.

That small point aside this comment displays an extremely racist viewpoint. “Chinese have no empathy, sympathy or compassion. It’s simply beyond their mental ability to care about other people or animals.” WTF? To make such a broad statement that an entire nationality behave in such a way is ridiculous.

The OP raised a very important issue in this thread. I think it is important to recognise that child abuse is a problem in every country in the world. The exact prevalence and people’s response to it may differ from country to country, but it exists everywhere.[/quote]

Wix, I think the majority of Forumosans dont agree with Homey… just ignore him / her… not even worth to comment it… you cant save him/her from his/her stupidity

While I cannot condone such harsh behavior done to children at such ages, I do believe that sometimes Americans over do it at the opposite extreme.

Americans, instead of setting harsh discipline to their children, spoil them so much that they become useless to generating anything useful to the GDP and become whiny little brats that complain about every single little thing.

Of course, I’m just generalizing here on both sides, but although I do not condone harsh punishment, I think a few chubby spoiled kids in the states can deserve a little bit of rush treatment to get their act together.

To me, spoiling your child is much worse than giving harsh treatment.

Of course, we can go on and on and argue about how the Taiwanese spoil their children too, but I don’t think it will ever compare to how much American children are spoiled. Sorry.

The fact that so many people find this episode remarkable surprises me. You’ll find many Taiwanese people very unhappy with the fact that children are relentlessly beaten and that there is no concept of the Good Samaritan or its Taiwanese equivalent here. The issue is constantly raised on the news and in conversation when a particularly bad example surfaces. Many Taiwanese people don’t like living in a society where no-one gives a shit either. To suggest only foreigners notice this is disingenuous.

You’d be met with blank incomprehension if you tried to report this. A pasting in a restaurant is not unusual. Breaking kids arms, tying them up for hours, starving them and other physical punishments appear in the press almost every day and are examples of punishments which cause long-lasting physical damage. They are often acted upon if caught. (Mental damage is not really considered.)

As I said in my previous post, this appears to be the price we pay to live in a society without a significant juvenile delinquent population.

On the other hand, the murder rate in Taiwan is extremely high - much higher than the USA, for example - and much of that is familial.

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on forumosa.com.

[quote=“Damage”][quote=“Homey”]Normal daily event. Chinese have no empathy, sympathy or compassion. It’s simply beyond their mental ability to care about other people or animals. Sad depressing place for sure.

This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read on forumosa.com.[/quote]

Maybe, but I have heard two mainland Chinese and at least four Taiwanese people say more or less the same thing about China and Taiwan respectively.

I make no comment other than that.

[quote]

Maybe, but I have heard two mainland Chinese and at least four Taiwanese people say more or less the same thing about China and Taiwan respectively.

I make no comment other than that.[/quote]

:loco:

I don’t think so.

“Various countries have different definitions for murder and different degrees of attempted murder. . . The crime rate of murder in Taiwan (completed crime) was 1.17 for per 100,000 persons, which was the fifth lowest rate.”

I believe Singapore and Hong Kong are two of the three lowest for “successful completion” of attempted murder (about 0.5 per 100,000). I think Taiwan is double that (1), but in some tables, you’ll see (8 per 100,000), which , I believe, is the “attempted murder” rate. I think the UK is about 2 per 100,000, and the US is 5 or 6 per 100,000. These figures make sense to me.

I don’t think so.

“Various countries have different definitions for murder and different degrees of attempted murder. . . The crime rate of murder in Taiwan (completed crime) was 1.17 for per 100,000 persons, which was the fifth lowest rate.”

I believe Singapore and Hong Kong are two of the three lowest for “successful completion” of attempted murder (about 0.5 per 100,000). I think Taiwan is double that (1), but in some tables, you’ll see (8 per 100,000), which , I believe, is the “attempted murder” rate. I think the UK is about 2 per 100,000, and the US is 5 or 6 per 100,000. These figures make sense to me.[/quote]

Some rates here:

guncite.com/gun_control_gcgvinco.html
nytimes.com/1997/07/14/world … place.html
nationmaster.com/graph/cri_m … per-capita

Given that we read about an average of three murders a day in the papers, that equates to about 5.2 per 100k that actually make the newspapers.

I’ll take the high murder rate though over the high rate of random violence in the UK any day.

I am happy for those of you who have been lucky enough to only see the nice, non-violent side of Taiwanese/Chinese people. I wish I could say the same. After living in China, I was told numerous times that Taiwanese are much better, nicer, friendlier and less violent. When they start acting like anything other than Chinese, then I will will call them Taiwanese.

I have personally picked up two people off the streets while tons of traffic roared by. One later told me she had been there for a long long time. I told this story to a nurse friend of mine, she said that she herself had been in an accident and had been lying helpless for almost 30 minutes before someone stopped and helped her. Yes, it is common. The usual explanation is that people are scared to help as punks have used accidents to trick people, so it’s unsafe to assist.

As far as the murder rate, that is completely false. The police do not even show up, much less report many murders here. I watched in awe one night as I was coming home, in the middle of the street a gang was beating this guys head in with baseball bats. A police cruiser with lights flashing accidentally came down the street, saw what was going on, and turned around! Most crime here, whether it is murder, rape, extortion, or whatever, goes unreported so any ‘rate’ you may find is simply false.