Punctuality is expected of teachers but not for students in a private tutoring session?

Dear forumosa English teachers,

I’m looking at the contract I just received and cannot believe the double standard I see. The teacher is heavily penalized for lateness but there is no mention of the consequences for students if they show up late for a scheduled one on one appointment. Please see the contract part about lateness below. Due to confidentiality issues, I have censored the institution’s name to protect their reputation so I don’t get sued.

Class Cancellation & Rescheduling

1. If the student cancels class less than 2.5 hours prior to the regular class schedule or doesn’t show up for the class, the Teacher will be paid 20% of his/her hourly rate.
  2. In such a case, the Teacher can either choose to do no-show work (if available), or phone coaching, if the cancellation is after 6pm; the Teacher will then be paid 80% of his/her hourly rate.
  3. If the Teacher needs to reschedule or cancel a class, s/he must notify the office at least one day in advance. Failure to notify xxxxx within at least 3 hours in advanced will result in the course payment being deducted 1.5 hours at the hourly rate for each infraction.
  4. Teachers must notify their class cancellation or leave application by written notification, and email to: xxxxx, so to make surexxxxx is well notified. If students wish to schedule a make-up class, Teachers are obligated to accommodate the student’s schedule.
  5. In case of emergency, the Teacher must provide xxxxxxxx a written form of certification, and email to: xxxxxx, as to the stated emergency.

Punctuality

1. Teachers are required to be at the class 5 minutes ahead of the scheduled class time. If the Teacher is late: a) within 10 minutes, an extra 30 minutes for that particular student is required, at no additional pay; b) more than 10 minutes, an extra unit for that particular student is required, at no additional pay.
  2. The above mention included lateness for scheduled back-to-back classes.

Please correct me if I’m wrong, but hypothetically speaking, if a student shows up 30 minutes late, the teacher is expected to pander to the student and extend his/her class time by 30 minutes? This is the most outrageously unfair contract I’ve seen to date. Please enlighten me if I’m wrong.

I wouldn’t assume so but who knows? I’d be more concerned by the 20% pay for a no-show. Not sure what condition 2 means.

I don’t follow your thinking.

You understand that the student is the paying customer, don’t you? :laughing:

Paying how much per hour?

Paying how much per hour?[/quote]

It’s not relevant, if you agreed to provide the service for that amount.

Really, if you expect your school to be punitive towards customers, then they will have fewer customers which affects your livelihood. You’re going to have to make some allowances, if you need to work through a school. It’s difficult to create a policy where no-one feels hard done by.

It doesn’t look like you posted the customer’s side of the cancellation policy. Do they still have to pay a portion of the class they didn’t attend to cover your 20% pay for not teaching? Are late cancellations limited during a certain period of time? Another important factor is how often a late cancellation actually happens. It’s kind of hard to be up in arms when we can only see half of the policy.

Paying how much per hour?[/quote]

It’s not relevant, if you agreed to provide the service for that amount.

Really, if you expect your school to be punitive towards customers, then they will have fewer customers which affects your livelihood. You’re going to have to make some allowances, if you need to work through a school. It’s difficult to create a policy where no-one feels hard done by.[/quote]
If they take 1200NT$ per hour and you get 800 or less, then it’s a shitty deal.
They want to cash into your one on one teaching business, so let them deal with the problems.
If you teach privates for 1200 NT$ an hour, they can cancel every second hour and you’d still make an average of 600 during the same time-frame.
Plus, nobody looking over your shoulders.

Yes, it’s a shitty deal. Tutoring is a shitty deal. Presumeably he has a reason for wanting to do it, such as a work permit or a stable income that he can’t generate himself. If the market means he is able to negotiate a better contract then he will, I guess.

Why would a sensible business do that?

I don’t have the cancellation policy from the customer’s side. They buy an entire 10 week session with the institution and they just lose class time for not showing up or cancelling properly I guess. Cancellation happens frequently, according to a forumosa thread about this institution. I’m compelled to give you guys the name of the institution, but I just hope I don’t get sued for defamation or get in trouble for sharing this info.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I’m leaning on declining this offer because there are even more problems than punctuality. The class curriculum for the entire 10 weeks needs to be written by the teacher and catered towards the learning goals of the student or client. There are also progress reports needed to be written after every single class. so I just forsee a mountain of unpaid work.

The rate the quoted me was $550 an hour which is pathetic and an insult to ESL teachers everywhere.

Brings back memories of working for Yes! English way, way back in the day. Anyone else remember them?

I don’t have the cancellation policy from the customer’s side. They buy an entire 10 week session with the institution and they just lose class time for not showing up or cancelling properly I guess. Cancellation happens frequently, according to a forumosa thread about this institution. I’m compelled to give you guys the name of the institution, but I just hope I don’t get sued for defamation or get in trouble for sharing this info.

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I’m leaning on declining this offer because there are even more problems than punctuality. The class curriculum for the entire 10 weeks needs to be written by the teacher and catered towards the learning goals of the student or client. There are also progress reports needed to be written after every single class. so I just forsee a mountain of unpaid work.

The rate the quoted me was $550 an hour which is pathetic and an insult to ESL teachers everywhere.[/quote]

Haha, screw that. What are they providing you with? Airconditioning?

Yes, you do need to write your own curric for a 10 week one to one class, though. Who else would do it?

The school’s name is called Core and Corner. I interviewed with them and decided that the school wasn’t giving me a fair deal. I had some of the same concerns you did, Nomad. The pay was low and there was a lot of paper work and prep which would be of course unpaid. Also, the thought of only teaching 1-to-1 seemed boring to me. I encourage everyone to give this place a pass.

[quote=“nomad926”]

1. Teachers are required to be at the class 5 minutes ahead of the scheduled class time. If the Teacher is late: a) within 10 minutes, an extra 30 minutes for that particular student is required, at no additional pay; b) more than 10 minutes, an extra unit for that particular student is required, at no additional pay. [/quote]

[quote=“nomad926”]
Please correct me if I’m wrong, but hypothetically speaking, if a student shows up 30 minutes late, the teacher is expected to pander to the student and extend his/her class time by 30 minutes? This is the most outrageously unfair contract I’ve seen to date. Please enlighten me if I’m wrong.[/quote]

Are you asking about the first point? That’s about the teacher’s punctuality (isn’t it? See the bold text), so it seems fair to ask the teacher make up time if they arrive late.

who is paying, and who is making money out of it?

You broke the bubble of concealment I tried to keep in hopes of not getting into trouble. Yes, its C&C. Thank you for empathizing with my concerns. I can just imagine a hypothetical situation of student showing up late and expecting the teacher to accommodate the lateness with an extended class. If I don’t accomodate the class because I have another class back-to-back, then what happens? If I end the class early the student will get pissed and write a bad review of me. This will lead to a bad evaulation and risk of getting fired or getting a reduced hourly rate.

@Kabbie,
I was talking about the LACK of puncutality consequences for students. Yes, I’m not complaining that if a teacher is late he/she should be fined or make up extra hours. But what if a student is late? there is no penalty for student lateness which is what I’m furious about. Respect is a two way street, the same penalties should applly for student if he/she is late for the scheduled class time.

@jesus80

Student pay for the tutoring sessions. I don’t know how much they pay C&C, but I’m getting the short end of the stick regardless, if C&C is only paying me $550/hr.

Thanks for all the replies and I’m not trying to get everyone to be up in arms about this injustice but rather to share with everyone my appalling discovery of a rotten contract deal. I’m also sharing because I could use a second opinion and maybe it’s not as bad as I think if there are some of you who have accepted worse offers.

Ouch!
I hope that you are single and your one on one, at least have the possibility to become one on one.
Preposition is on, but any other should be fine too.

‘one on one’ is pretty Chinglish, I always thought? Do people say that? :ponder:

Punctuality expected of teachers, but not students for 1 on 1? Double standard?!
________________________________________________ :unamused:

Punctuality expected of teachers, but not students for 1 on 1? Double standard?!
________________________________________________ :unamused:[/quote]

Say what?