Pure breed brown Husky looking for a loving home!

This is Walk, a pure breed Husky abandoned by his owner. Well, abandoned and LUCKED onto the cage for the longest time, who knows how long.

He didn’t have any food or water but the old lady who sells pork near by gave him leftover meat and some water untill my friend has returned her hometown and took these pictures and asked me to help!

Well, my husband and I are cat lovers and alltho after 5 years in Taiwan, we have rehomed more than 180 cats and one abandoned puppy. We still decided to rescued Walk. Walk was fostered by my father untill my father’s bussiness moved to China then I took Walk back and replaced him at the vet for now. We did went thro some adopters but most of them want him to be a either factory guard dog and still have him living in large cages! To me, a large cages doesn’t mean a HOME!

After we took two hours drove down to where Walk was and had the key maker to unlucked his chain. Walk was quite excited and seemed happy to be walked. We drove him back to Taichung and took him to the vet, went thro the blood test, deworm, deflea, bath and gave him a big nice meal. He gabbled everything up really fast and in fact, at the beginning he didn’t eat solid food at all but canned food.

Now, we’d like to get him adopted with a owner who can love him and have him as a friend in their life time and he is not be treated as a guarding dog or living in the cage again.

Walk is about less than 2 years old, very healthy and strong! He is also fixed and leash trained but he gets excited very easy. I don’t know how to train a dog coz I grew up with cats and I am a cat lover.

If any of you is able to give him a nice home and treat him as a friend. Please contact JoAnne at joannewu_62@yahoo.com.tw

It would be perfect if you could find a home for him overseas…in Canada or somewhere cold where he belongs…
good luck with your journey…saving a dog is a hard, but rewarding journey:)

I cannot understand why dog owners can abandon such a beautiful dog. :loco:

The ugly pug on the one picture, yeah, I could understand THAT… :stuck_out_tongue:

I would take him in a heartbeat if I was allowed to have a dog where I live right now. :frowning:

[quote=“Battery9”]It would be perfect if you could find a home for him overseas…in Canada or somewhere cold where he belongs…
good luck with your journey…saving a dog is a hard, but rewarding journey:)[/quote]

Well, thanks and we are working on it now interms of getting him to Canada.
We’ve been emailing and asking our families and friends in North America. We are also working very hard to pay for his flight if any one wants to give me a good home and run around on the farms or something like that!
Fingers crossed!

[quote=“hannes”]I cannot understand why dog owners can abandon such a beautiful dog. :loco:

The ugly pug on the one picture, yeah, I could understand THAT… :stuck_out_tongue:

I would take him in a heartbeat if I was allowed to have a dog where I live right now. :frowning:[/quote]

Guess some ppl just don’t do any studies before they buy a dog!
Well…it happens all the time in Taiwan.

I’m looking for a home for a dog at the moment too…would love to see her fly to Canada…I’m from SA, and have families with dogs and open fields, but unlike Canada it costs NT$ 120 000 to get her there…OUCH.

So if you find 2 homes that want a dog…pls let me know…one can go to Walk , one to my stray:)

Just a couple of questions for those who know something about huskies.

Do you have to shear them frequently during the hot summer?
How do you keep them from overheating?
How much exercise do they need to be happy?
Isn’t a pure breed husky worth something?

[quote=“Battery9”]I’m looking for a home for a dog at the moment too…would love to see her fly to Canada…I’m from SA, and have families with dogs and open fields, but unlike Canada it costs NT$ 120 000 to get her there…OUCH.

So if you find 2 homes that want a dog…pls let me know…one can go to Walk , one to my stray:)[/quote]

I have work with couple of vets in Vancouver and Montreal now and will let u know if any of their custermers is interested in taking Walk or ur stray.

:slight_smile:

[quote=“hannes”]Just a couple of questions for those who know something about huskies.

Isn’t a pure breed husky worth something?[/quote]

Well, Walk gets shaved once a year and that is good enough for him sugguested by the vet that I worked with.
As for overheating, Walk was born in Taiwan and his body had adopted the hot weather here. I don’t think it bothers him too much but for sure, he loves lots of drinking water with ice cubes in it. AC room sometimes but not all the time. We don’t have an AC in the house for him. I take Walk out at least, five times a day and spend about good 30-45min walk with him. On the weekends, I take him to one of the parks here so he can run freely with other dogs and play with them as well.
Well, pure breed husky does worth a lot to buy. I don’t know how much the owner spent for Walk but when we went down to save him the owner did ask money from me and I didn’t give him coz he is already go aganst the law. However, my husband and I spend a lot of money on rescuing cats and a few dogs here and we probably has spent a lot on Walk. I will not ask anything but a good HOME for him without a cage and good owner who can allow him in the house just like the way I treat our cats!

I am willing to pay for the ticket to get her overseas…There are pics and videos of her under my ‘Saving Grace’ thread.

I do have someone that is willing to foster her for a couple of months, so if we find a home for her overseas, she can have a place to stay while all the paperwork gets done…

[quote=“hannes”]Just a couple of questions for those who know something about huskies.

It’s a beautiful dog, but I have my doubts that it’s actually a purebred husky - almost, but not quite.
Huskies should have a lot of exercise, since they’re bred to be working dogs.
I think they are totally unsuited to Taiwan’s weather, and shouldn’t be kept there, but shearing them… Maybe clipping them a bit in the summer and keeping them out of the sun would be OK.

[quote=“bababa”][quote=“hannes”]Just a couple of questions for those who know something about huskies.

It’s a beautiful dog, but I have my doubts that it’s actually a purebred husky - almost, but not quite.
Huskies should have a lot of exercise, since they’re bred to be working dogs.
I think they are totally unsuited to Taiwan’s weather, and shouldn’t be kept there, but shearing them… Maybe clipping them a bit in the summer and keeping them out of the sun would be OK.[/quote]

I did some studies about Huskies after we got Walk. There are Siberian Husky, Alaskan Malaskan and depends on what they are for there are two other kinds of Siberian and Alaskan. Walk is the Siberian Husky so he is lot smaller and shorter than Alaskan. Walk also has shorter fur as well. But it doesn’t matter either he is a pure breed or he isn’t. In Taiwan, these breeders would do whatever it takes to make the animals look different to bring up a hit thing then a lot of ppl start going creazy for certain breed. Huskies were very propular for a while but if any of you ever visit the city shelters in Taiwan, u will find lots of Huskies in there. Well, what can I say.

I was told by the vet to give Walk a dog backpack when I take him out walk or even take him to the park and let him run free with the backpack on coz they are working dogs. It does work well coz he would walk nicely and won’t drag me. But when he goes out with my husband, he listens and obeys his rules. I guess I am just too small and too short for Walk. He probably thinks the his position is higher than me. :frowning:

Let him walk around with a pack on his back?! Thats nutty in this weather…

sometimes I feel like some vets here have no clue about animals…or not that love or endearment that most vets have back home. The vets I have taken my dogs to never stroke them, smile at them or show much interest in them…its sooo odd.

Looks like a purebred Siberian to me and I see quite a few here in New England. I’ve owned husky mixes and they require strong owners. Not the easiest dog to have but with the right person, they are awesome. They are notorious escape artists and love to dig, often lying in the cool dirt to relax, or digging under that expensive fence to go on a migration, which can be miles, with no plans to return. Neutering can help this desire to travel. They are also predatory and will often kill and eat anything smaller than themselves, or will raid the trash or cruise the counters at any chance they get. How is Walk around cats, small dogs, other animals ? They were bred to pull sleds for miles and can yank a person off their feet in a heartbeat. A backpack is a good idea- its similar to pulling and they need this exercise to burn off the energy. They also shed copious amounts of fur but I would think Walk probably doesn’t develop a thick winter coat in Taiwan like he would here. They are independent souls who do well with an outdoorsy, athletic person who can take them on long hikes in the woods and let them frolic in the snow. Seeing a husky on that first snow fall is like seeing a dog in Heaven and I hope Walk gets that chance. Ooohhh, I do love these dogs…

One last note- I’ve been putting the word out here in Massachusetts about Walk, hoping to find him a place. I’ll be in Taiwan for a week in October for Bokgwai and Annipooh’s wedding so transportation to New England may be available on our return trip. If Walk doesn’t need transport, I’d be willing to bring dogs back for anyone else if owners are lined up and fees are covered, etc. (P.S. I’m Bokgwai’s mom)

If that is how huskies are and what they need, I think it will be hard to find the right owner here in Taiwan…

Would it be OK to have the dog pull someone on a bicycle? While this probably looks like mistreating the animal, maybe it would make it very happy. :wink:

[quote=“Battery9”]Let him walk around with a pack on his back?! Thats nutty in this weather…

sometimes I feel like some vets here have no clue about animals…or not that love or endearment that most vets have back home. The vets I have taken my dogs to never stroke them, smile at them or show much interest in them…its sooo odd.[/quote]

Huskies are working dogs. They need a mission somtimes. That is why the vet sugguested it and I bought a doggy backpack with breath-thro material. He seems all right with it and is willing to listen to me. I guess that it’s okay with Walk to carry newspapers or a carton of milk in the bag sometimes.

Hi Anne’s future mother-in-law,
How are you?! This is JoAnne and I believe that Anne or Ian have already meation about me.
You are right about Huskies and Walk does need a strong owner. Too bad I am not the one and I really don’t think Huskies belong in Taiwan anyways. That is why I am looking for a home in North America for him and I’ll pay for his flight.
I’d love to see him run freely in the forest, meadow and have his first smell of snow and roll around on it! After seeming him been lucked in the cage where he was before, I was very sad.
Walk loves small dogs and plays with them nicely but cats. He will go after the cats and wants to play with the cats without knowing how rough he plays. Of course, the cats in the house hates him and that it’s why he spends most of the daytime in our yard and night time in the 1st floor of the house away from our own cats and foster kittens.

I have a lot of pictures of him playing with other dogs, big dogs, small dogs. That would be great if u can find a home for Walk out there and we can work on it when u came over for the wedding! THANKS so much for spreading the words.

If that is how huskies are and what they need, I think it will be hard to find the right owner here in Taiwan…

Would it be OK to have the dog pull someone on a bicycle? While this probably looks like mistreating the animal, maybe it would make it very happy. :wink:[/quote]

Well, if Walk is a well-trained husky then he would know how to pull and listens to whoever is controling him.