Purpose in one's life

Could anyone tell me what the purpose in one’s life is? I think every individual has his own value living in the world. Not sure what’s mine…

Find something that you love to do and do it. Follow your dreams, not money. Don’t “settle” for the ordinary or “good enough” … try to be extraordinary. Have a clear goal in mind and do everything you can to achieve it. And most important of all … be passionate about everything you do. :slight_smile:

And if you want to know the real meaning of life, read 《脂硯齋重評石頭記》 (Red Inkstone’s Reannotated ‘Story of the Stone’), better known as “Dream of the Red Chamber” (紅樓夢). Trust me … :wink:

Happy Valentine’s Day! :rainbow:

Jean Paul Sartre would say that life is essentially meaningless, but that each individual has to create meaning in order to avoid the nauseaus void of nothingness.

Ice Cube would say, “Life ain’t nothing but bitches and money.”

I am not sure which was the wiser man.

Setting challenging but gettable targets for whatever happens to be especially meaningful to you in some way or other and the step-by-step pursuit of which will carry you forward through a substantial part of your lifetime, and working your way steadily toward them while enjoying the myriad small and large pleasures that life has to offer along the way.

Looking for meaning in life blinds one to the pleasures of the present.

[quote=“Rubicon Bojador”]Jean Paul Sartre would say that life is essentially meaningless, but that each individual has to create meaning in order to avoid the nauseaus void of nothingness.

Ice Cube would say, “Life ain’t nothing but bitches and money.”

I am not sure which was the wiser man.[/quote]
Jean Paul Sartre or Ice Cube, who’s wiser?
I’m going to be up all night trying to figure that one out.

[quote=“Richardm”] Jean Paul Sartre or Ice Cube, who’s wiser?
I’m going to be up all night trying to figure that one out.[/quote]
Well let me know when you figure out will ya :bouncy:

[quote=“Dave’s girl”][quote=“Richardm”] Jean Paul Sartre or Ice Cube, who’s wiser?
I’m going to be up all night trying to figure that one out.[/quote]
Well let me know when you figure out will ya :bouncy:[/quote]

You’d better fo watch Monty Python’s The Meaning of Life. That will help you out.

You read that post of mine didn’t ya. :wink:

And “add oil”, Rechardm! :bouncy:

When I was teaching in Global Village many years ago, an 8 year old girl joned the class. He english was fantastic as she lived overseas and wasback for the summer. When had a very grownup topic that day, “The meaning of life.”

When she was asked for her opinion, she said, “I think we’re here to laugh and play.”

That sounds good to me.

I am here to make my life and the lives of the people around me a bit better because I know I can to a certain extent, to discover my weaknesses, overcome them, and move on. Meaning is derived from my son, my wife, my school and students and teachers, my friends, this forum, the books I read, and the things I create.

When I’m old and alone, then I can get into meaninglessness.

I believe in “What goes around comes around.” If you are good, good will return to you, when you don’t expect it; bad? Same.

So Jen, if you’re looking for meaning, start with the people you make happy. Then move on from there. :slight_smile:

“Man was born to legs astride a grave.”

Make death your starting point to discovering meaning in your life.

Ask a bug.

Or, ask the Grateful Dead:

[quote=“The Grateful Dead in One More Saturday Night”]
Then God way up in heaven, for whatever it was worth
Thought he’d have a big old party, thought he’d call it planet earth
Don’t worry about tomorrow, Lord, you’ll know it when it comes
When the rocking, rolling music meets the rising, shining sun.
[/quote]

A big party. That’s our purpose.

In life, you can enjoy the party… or, you can be a party pooper. The choice is yours.

[quote=“jdsmith”]When I was teaching in Global Village many years ago, an 8 year old girl joned the class. He English was fantastic as she lived overseas and wasback for the summer. When had a very grownup topic that day, “The meaning of life.”

When she was asked for her opinion, she said, “I think we’re here to laugh and play.”
[/quote]

Man what a perfect post!!! Really. I was thinking about this today, as well as wanting to post something similar on forumosa. I don’t know what the meaning of life is. I have been asking myself that question soo much lately, that I’m probably close to it, hopefully. It takes courage to really go after what you want, and who ever does it, I think they really have the key.
As for the 8 year old, it’s in the bible, jesus says that from the mouth of babes comes the truth…

And vomit.

Thanks for your replies. I still have no idea what the meaning of life is. Maybe no need to figure it out coz you never will… but its important to find something to work towards as you said…
LittleBuddha: If everyone doesn’t satisfied with ordinary, then why there are different roles going on everyday… Maybe you can be happier to be an ordinary person to laugh and play.

It’s so obvious.

The meaning of life is.

It’s about trial and errors. 220 000 more people each day…I hope it’s all good.

[quote=“Fox”]“Man was born to legs astride a grave.”

Make death your starting point to discovering meaning in your life.[/quote]

Yes, good point Fox. Anyone looking into this topic should first begin by reading “The Denial Of Death” or a similar book that looks at our passing, and the reality of experiencing only others’ passing and our inability to experience our own death.

[quote=“miltownkid”]It’s so obvious.

The meaning of life is.[/quote]

You dropped a 42.

And vomit.[/quote]

The face of a child says it all. Especially the mouth part of the face.
~Deep Thought by Jack Handy