Purpose in one's life

Develop an interest in life as you see it; the people, things, literature, music-the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself. – Miller, Henry

To be what we are, and to become what we are capable of becoming, is the only end in life. – Robert Louis Stevenson

I think that one’s life, purpose, meaning can be said to serve something. That something can be for an idea, a person, a philosophy, a creative desire, a series of goals, pretty much anything that might be beneficial in the end. You could even say that making a person smile is in itself a worthy purpose in life :slight_smile:.

Did he really? I’ve never read JPS, but that’s pretty much what I believe, just without the “nauseaus void of nothingness” bit. I don’t think there’s anything too bad about a life without meaning.

Life just is. No purpose, no meaning. You may as well ask “what is the meaning of fish?” Nothing. It’s just a fish.

So, I think, if you think there must be purpose or meaning, then you’re going to get dissapointed. Don’t bother looking.

But, that still allows you the optio of creating something meaningful in your life (for me, I think relationships with other people are the most important thing).

Brian

On my reading list is:

A Purpose Driven Life,
what on earth am I here for?
Rick Warren

This has come to me highly recomended.

Thank you Little Buddha, you have no idea how much someone else saying that means to me at the moment. :notworthy:

On my reading list is:

A Purpose Driven Life,
what on earth am I here for?
Rick Warren

This has come to me highly recomended.[/quote]

I have finished reading this book and second to it.
To find a purpose of your life is a journey and is a process…

"Seek first to understand. Then to be understood." ~ Stephen Covey, 7 Habits of Highly Effective People

Life is a biological event without meaning. It does however appear to possess a love for itself and it is in this love that you may find the answers you seek.

I’m a Lennonist.

“Life is what happens to you while you’re making other plans.”

I like that, bobby. And welcome back. You’ve been missed. :bouncy:

[quote=“Tetsuo”][quote=“miltownkid”]It’s so obvious.

The meaning of life is.[/quote]

You dropped a 42.[/quote]
What’s that mean? Is that supposed to be a joke? :bouncy:

[quote=“Dave’s girl”][quote=“Tetsuo”][quote=“miltownkid”]It’s so obvious.

The meaning of life is.[/quote]

You dropped a 42.[/quote]
What’s that mean? Is that supposed to be a joke?[/quote]

No, it’s an allusion to a popular novel - The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

“The Answer to the Great Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42.”

Now we just have to figure out what the question was.

I think it was, “How many roads must a man walk down before you call him a man?” but I could be wrong.

Thank you Little Buddha, you have no idea how much someone else saying that means to me at the moment. :notworthy:[/quote]

You are most welcome, and I wish you the best of luck along your journey! :slight_smile:

When I was younger I thought having fun was a good purpose. Then I thought having fun and helping others have fun was good. Some time after that I thought it would be a good idea to always try to leave things a little better than they were when you saw them (a room, a persons feelings, whatever).

For a while I thought there was no point to anything, that we’re just like a complex setup of dominoes slowly running the course. Then I thought being really healthy was the way to go. Oh, I forgot about the time I thought I should constantly be trying to maximize my brain power (use “100%” of my brain). Through all those times in the back of my mind I thought I should be one with the Dao. Then I thought I should master non-thought.

Some time ago I realized I can change my purpose when ever and how ever I please. I guess my purpose is most easily defined as completing the goals I set for myself. So as I complete and change goals my purpose seems different (but I guess it’s kind of the same; complete my goals).

My purpose now is easy: Beat Metal Gear 3: Snake Eater and beat Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (with 100%).

I suppose it’d be sort of strange if one didn’t have goals or set goals that seemed unattainable.

As far as a general “purpose” goes, I’d say the “purpose” (for humans) is the search for “truth”. Comparing us to fish or other animals seems stupid to me. I personally believe there are higher levels of consciousness to be reached. I think the human race has a lot of hidden potential and we’re all a part of it…

ahhh… Feels good to babble

My purpose in life is really simple. When I’m old and dying I don’t want to regret not having done anything I’ve always wanted to do. So far, I’ve done most things I’ve wanted to do. I have youth, time, an open mind, and the interest to do anything I want. The only ones I haven’t accomplished are due to lack of funds. But whenever I have some money, I make it my purpose to do what I want.

“When I RSVP to a party, I make it my business to come.”

Have you been listening to Donna the Buffalo?

[quote=“Donna the Buffalo in Conscious Evolution”]
Conscious evolution in front of your eyes
Conscious evolution in the back of your mind
Conscious evolution go on spread the word
We’re all busy learnin’ on a learnin’ curve
[/quote]

:slight_smile:

I watched a movie yesterday with my wife. Excellent movie it was but I won’t tell you which one it was. It was about a couple who fall for each other but they get seperated for two years. Two years later, they get back together finally and the movie ends.

The movie gave me the blues. The happy blues. Kinda like a mood where what’s important to me becomes insignificant and what is usually on the back burner becomes all that matters. Weird and sad. Many times that happens to me if I read a touching book, watch a good movie or listen to a really good song. The butterflies. But they never stay…They come and go and everytime, I’m sure if I could keep them, If I could keep that mood going day after day, years after years, I would not be here. I’d be living a more meaningful life, I’d be content, satisfied, a better person.

I’m not sure what I’m doing here. I want everyone to applaude me, I want an audience, I want love, more of it. I want true friends, more of them. I want to be the president, the pope, the king.

I’ve always wanted to fly and yet I can’t walk. I have to love myself, I’m told I can’t be happy otherwise. Self-esteem, confidence, sheer love. I’m not sure I can do it. I live for Friday and wish the hours to go by faster every year and my wish is always granted. Every year goes by faster as I grow old. At this rate, I’ll be 12 years old when I die.

Wow.

okok. A little dramatization perhaps here. Forgive me. I guess just a picture of how we miss to appreciate the little things often perhaps more as we grow old since the years somehow seem to accelerate. A year seemed like an eternity when I was 7 years old. Now, it seems like I came out here yesterday almost but I’m renewing a third contract this month already.
Taiwan seems to make the years go by even faster.

Actually I meant wow great post.

yuo make that up right now Hatch or is that a song lyric? Either way I enjoyed it. I feel sorta the same way…about the attention thing…What can I say i’m a true Leo all the way!

I used to know a native from Salmon Arm who did some bad things. He actually had to change his name eventually. His name used to be John. My old boss actually did business with him(sold him a house) and he did repay in full, it was a private loan.
A few years later, my boss ran into him in a pub and said: “Hey John, long time no see!” John answered this: “I don’t know John. Was he a good man or a bad man?” My boss replied: “He was a fine gentleman”. They then sat down and had a few beers together.
And yes, it’s original. hatch wrote that some odd 12 years ago in French, so it’s a genuine translation and he’s glad that you and bob enjoyed it. :wink: