Purpose in one's life

What about when you get so old that you just sit most of the day. Maybe read the paper or watch the game but nothing more you’re able to do. Do you still have a purpose?

“When I was a kid, we had a grandpa. We called him that way cause if we called him grandma he’d get mad. He had this old rocking chair and he just kept rocking all day long. He would not talk much anymore, he hardly ever spoke a word after his wife died.
Sometimes he’d feel better and he would actually want to do things around the house. He wanted to plant a garden or splice the wood. But like my dad was saying, It’s not easy to grow carrots on the linolium floor and there isn’t enough room next to the furnace for all that wood because we lived on a third floor downtown Montreal. So he kept rocking that chair, day after day. My bro and I asked my mom once what is grandpa thinking about all this time rocking his chair and she would say: He’s packing his bags, he’s packing. He got pretty angry when we told him to stop packing or else his suitcase would not close anymore. You know kids do things sometimes… My mom always understood him best. She would look at him sometimes and say: Poor granpa you’re bored to death aren’t you. He lived with us because my dad always said that he’ll be dead before he would let his old man roth in an hospice. We did not like him to get out too much and we were always worried when our friends would come over because they were scared of him. If other kids saw him, they would make fun of us. You see, a few weeks after his wife passed away, he got sick. Something to do with blood inside his head and he was paralysed after that on the left side of his face. Kids… He would always sleep on the sofa at night because we only had two bedrooms. Everynight he would get up quite often to go to the bathroom and he would not turn on the lights. It was a short few steps down the halway between the master bedroom and our bedroom. So, one night, my bro and I put my mom’s sewing stool in the middle of the hallway and waited silently in our bedroom. All of a sudden, biding, badang! Oh did we get it when his son woke up… The thing is grandpa had banged his head on the bathroom door frame and he was bleeding. You know, kids… Then one day, he was dead. Things were not the same in the house anymore. Kind of like when our dog died. My dad would not talk anymore. He would come home from work, he was not the same. One Monday, my dad walked in the house late after work and just the same he was quiet. In the middle of dinner, he got up, kicked the rocking chair and said: What good is this doing here? Get that fucking thing out of here, I never want to see it again.”
-Yvons Deschamps-

Wow.

Whatever our uncertainties are, I beleive we need to be positive.

There are some who look, and keep looking all their lives to figure life out. But life is simple and like they say, “it’s life.” You eat you sleep, you’re hot you laugh. You’re afraid, you cry, you’re cold, you live. That’s life.

Well that’s life, yes, but…That’s the life everyone has to know if one day they want to acces the real life. The one I have discovered. That’s why I’m happy that you’s all reading this because I tell myself that maybe I can let you take advantage of my own experience. I only hope that you are not like the majority of people who read me. They read me but they don’t understand me.

Before I go further, I’d like to introduce myself. I am Roger La Lumiere. And if I am what I am it’s because I am not anymore. No, I am not anymore. Before I was. And since I am not, not only I became what I am but since I am not, I also became an example to follow. It’s true, it happenned to me just like that.

One of the first remarkable thing that I’ve remarked in the world is that there is misery. There are poor people, there are unhappy people, there are unlucky people, there are people who complain. But what I’ve noticed is extraordinary, is that the people who complain are unlucky. That isn’t my biggest discovery. My biggest discovery is people who complain are unlucky, yes, but what I’ve discovered that is extraordinary is that people don’t complain because they are unlucky. My biggest discovery is that people are unlucky because they complain.

That’s why there are some people who never complain but yet would have good reasons to do so while some people continuously complain for no reason.

To make sure that you grasp this elusive concept, I would like if you’d let me, to tell you about a personal experience which I did not live personally. In fact it’s a personal experience which a personal friend who I knew personally, personally lived. I knew him personnally because we both worked at the same factory and we used to take the bus together because he had the pleasure to live below me on the second floor and I had the advantage to live above him on the third floor. At first every morning he would come up and knock on my door and we would go wait for the bus. Until one day we realized that he was on second floor so better if I came down and knocked on his door. I would then come down every morning, knock on his door and go back up to wait for him. Anyways…one morning we were running late litterally and the bus driver would not see us. It was winter, the road and bus windows were iced over and my friend was running furiously. As he reached the side of the bus screaming STOP! He kicked the door while his other foot swiftly followed the motion as it stood on slippery ground. The rear wheels of the bus ran over his abdomen. They are heavy those wheels. In fact so heavy that when his wrist finally got squished, His hand opened and he dropped his ticket in the snow! I would have complained if I was him. He didn’t.

And then you have the people who complain for nothing. I have one who lives two blocks down. All she does is whine over the same annoying story over and over and over. Whine, whine, whine. She’s got 12 kids. Two have seizures often, one is paralysed, the husband doesn’t work and the welfare isn’t enough because he drinks it all and the pub is next door, he won’t even crosss the street, she’ll never get that widow’s pension… Blablabla. Annoying nit-picking!

Here in my new life they know me. That’s why when newcomers show up they are always told if you complain it’s because you did not see “La Lumiere”. Go see Roger and he will explain it all to you because he understands everything. It’s true ladies and gentleman that I figured it all out. Naturally, I would not want you to beleive I’ve always known everything. Oh noooo. Before I was like you. I understood hardly anything. I’ve even been worse than you. Is it possible? I’ve been through phases in my life where myself I did not understand. Where myself I was complaining. Where myself I thought I was a victim of the society simply because the factory I worked at had been on lock out for a year. I did not have enough money to feed my kids and I got in debt for forty years. I became so blinded that I ended up feeling resentment for the factory owners. Poor ********** who had nothing to do with it. I became so angry that on Christmas Eve we sent our wives to church and instead we went to the factory and broke some machines. I did’nt break any myself but I was looking at the boys doing it. And just as I was going to do it, that’s when it hit me…Grace hit me.

She was rather large. Officer Grace it was. When that club hit my skull, it opened my mind, it was like the “bump to comprehension”. When I woke up in the hospital, I was transformed. Not to say transfigured. Yes, because nobody recognized me after that.

They put me in a black truck to take me to prison where I was sentenced and content to be for one year. I did not complain. In that black truck, that’s where I saw the light. That’s where I started to see only the good in everything. That’s where I realized that I was not a victim but it fact privileged. YES! It was about time, I was 33 years old.

I had a short stay in prison. As soon as I arrived, I started sharing the good news. I found myself standing on a table in the cafeteria saying:"Boys, Boys, rejoice yourselves the life sentenced as the first ones in will be the last ones out. I got hit on the head again and this time I was in a coma for forty days. When I woke up, I almost complained. Forty days I lost! Then I realized I was at the Tapei hospital…

I got up and ran and ran. I was running down the stairs, and and I lost foot on a small puddle of red spit. I tumbled and you can guess it, I hit my head once more. This time I gave up. I said to a passerby who actually looked strangely familiar:“I’m ready to complain now, go get the guard”.

They rushed me into a small operation room and nailed me on a small operation table. On each side of me there were two other patients. The one said to me:“wow dude, we’ve been waiting here all day. You show up and we get looked after right away. You seem to know your way around here quite a bit, you mind if I stick around?” I answered:“Don’t worry, before tonight, you’ll be in my room.”

Roger La Lumiere,
Le Positif

Last one I promise. Bare with me, it’s cold today and I’ve been kinda bored.

About old people, it reminded me of this other story. It’s called Old Couple.

We don’t talk anymore. 53 years married is a long time. Although it almost ended, I fought with the wife. She wanted to leave. I said: Are you crazy, we’ve been together 53 years, you’re 76 I’m 79, we ain’t splittin like that. She says: but we always fight like kids! “It’s your fault” I replied, “you annoy me”.
She falls on my nerves. It’s always the same with her. At night we watch TV and she falls asleep during the movie. The next day lunch time, she argues with me about the ending. On top of that she says I was the one sleeping. I also sometimes fall asleep watching TV but at least I remember. I told her, I said: You’re losing it? She was so angry she said: I’ll go back with my mother. I said: Not only you’re losing it but you’re also losing memory.“It’s been three years your mom lives with us.” “Besides, you’re way too dependant to go anywhere.” No, it’s true, she’s in a wheel chair. She can’t even roll it herself, I have to push her. I’ll never push her to go though.

So we don’t talk anymore. We scream. It’s normal we’re both deaf. It’s hard to fight when we’re old. I mean it’s not hard to fight but it’s hard to make up. When you’re young it’s not the same. I mean even if you fight real bad, you know that at one point you’ll make up and it will be fun…I remember when we were younger, we fought so hard once that we made up everynight for like three weeks. We named the first one Pacific.
When you’re old it’s scary. So we don’t talk anymore.

I was thinking we’ve been together 53 years and we fought on average once a month. That’s about 640 fights. Could she not have thought of leaving before.

Oh no wait, I must be losing it myself. She alsmost left many times. She always stayed. Me too I almost left many times. I always stayed. It’s funny when I think back because it was never because of love that we stayed. We always had good reasons. The first time her mom convinced her it wasn’t right and so she stayed. I almost left once too, I made it to the porch. You see her dad was dying so I thought losing two was too much. I stayed. Once she had her jacket on and she was just about out the door but I had a bad cold and a light fever so she couldn’t. She stayed. It’s never love that made us stay but when we almost left it’s like something happened. Two-three weeks later it’s like you love each other more. That’s when it gets confusing. Because then you’re not sure if you stayed because you love each other more than you thought or you think you love each other more because you stayed. The only thing you’re sure about is that if you stay you have to make compromises. So after 50 years, I can’t see leaving because you fought so many times and made so many compromises that you’re nothing anymore by yourself. It takes two to make one. No, it’s so true in fact that it is why often when one goes, the other one follows shortly after. That’s why I told the wife"don’t go." Well actually…trying to make her understand…At our age we don’t have much time left to live. Each on our side it would seem like forever. Besides, leaving is dying a little and at our age that’s a big chance to take. So we don’t talk anymore. We don’t even move anymore. We’ve become too frail.

I think we have to pick our own purpose. What do you WANT to do with your life?

Put me down as hating “The Purpose-Driven Life.” The purpose towards which Warren wants to drive us turns out to be, being active in some Protestant church.

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]
Put me down as hating “The Purpose-Driven Life.” The purpose towards which Warren wants to drive us turns out to be, being active in some Protestant church.[/quote]

Spirit-Led or Purpose-Driven? article critiquing Richard Warren’s Purpose-Driven movement. Another article here analysis of purpose driven life.

While not getting into any religious doctrinal discussions here over it, the popularity in this movement attests to the fact there are many people like jenpenguin who ask the very same question. It’s become huge business after all :neutral:

I would just say that serving God can be a person’s purpose in life.

hatch - I really enjoyed your post about the Old Couple story. It was very poignant. It just happened to answer some questions of mine.

The question is now: Is that where I want to be at 76? And is it inevitable?

That’s a good question Hello Kitty. Not sure I can answer that one for you.
Instead, allow me to go back in time instead of looking ahead.

The Feotus.

This is when things get complicated. From here on, you need to imagin that I’m not born yet. I’m in my mom’s belly. For the more educated ones, I’m a feotus.
So, I’m in my mom’s belly and I’m rocking back and forth. I mean she is. We’re rocking. My mom is tired of waiting. She can’t wait to deliver. She thinks I don’t know. It’s true, she thinks that in here I see nothing, hear nothing like I’m dom or something. Dear mom, BOING! Yeah, she’s even all surprised when I move. Mind me, she likes it. It’s a good exscuse to have her belly rubbed. Yet, she can’t wait. I think it’s too bad. It’s too bad because me, in here, I’m doing fine. It’s kinda small in here but at the same time I don’t have to co-habit with anyone. Especially that once you’re out you have to learn two languages. Here, I don’t even have to talk at all. No. it’s true, I don’t even need a tongue. My mom feeds me through this little hole right here. She feeds me, she rocks me, she takes me places, she does everything for me. Dear mom, BOING! Only one thing, she smokes and I haven’t learned how to cough yet so I choke down here sometimes. Mind me it has some good. When I’m really choked, I fall asleep. She’ll be the one surprised when I’m a weak child.
Wait a minute, I’ll be back. I need to listen to the voices I hear down below. Naah! Not important, the usual. I hear what they say sometimes but only when they get real close. Mostly muffled noises. I even see the light down there sometimes. I don’t like it, light makes things look bigger, It’s scary.
When it’s dark, I like it. I roll into a small ball and I’m so comfy. I roll into a small ball and I tell myself: Everything is perfect. I’m protected.

I’d have to find a way out maybe. I’m not sure what to hang on to. It’s true, once I’m outside. I’ll have to learn how to speak, go to school, go to work. I’ll just be struggling. I will struggle so much that the first thing I’ll know, I’ll be old. Besides getting out of here isn’t easy. I don’t know if you ever tried it. The MRT is nothing compared to this. If I show up at the wrong end, it can be quite a ramble. Besides, the little I hear from below, it’s not too inviting.
I’m not stupid. I know if I get out, I’ll want to speak like everyone. Communicate. If I try they’ll make fun of me and If I don’t they’ll be worried. I don’t want. Hear me down there? I’m not coming. I’m staying right here. Deal with your own troubles, you just had to think things through a little better. It’s true, they can’t think straight and I’m suppose to struggle because of that. I’m not coming.
Anyways I don’t know who thought of this but it doesn’t make sense. The exit is way too small and I’ll be blamed once I come out because it will be too big then. I’m not coming. I’m staying right here. Hey down there, I’m talking to you? HELLO? Hmmm…he’s gone. Maybe he decided to think about it first. You never know. They can make a mistake and think about it. Age doesn’t make a difference. Mind me, that would make me happy. If they thought about it again and put it all on the scale, probably they would change their minds. Not be parents. You can almost change your mind nowadays. It would suit me. It would suit me because outside it doesn’t make sense. It doesn’t make any sense to go there. You see, I’m so content here that…I’m so content that this is where I would like to die.

[quote=“kellohitty”]

The question is now: Is that where I want to be at 76? And is it inevitable?[/quote]
I put a bit of thoughts into your questions Hello Kitty. My answers to both your questions are yes. Otherwise you’ll be alone. My wife consistantly bitches about a few things I just do. If she left, I’d miss that.

In South Africa, a while ago, there was a wonderful advertisement (I think it was for a life-insurance company) - the opening shot was about a whole lot of old men in bowler hats, black jackets and white boxer shorts, running around in the surf on a beach, with cigars, celebrating the happy retirement of one of their friends (he was sitting in the surf in a plush armchair, with cigar) and they were all looking so happy - beautifully shot scene.
The thing that really made me think was, it was mentioned that one should make a list of the 20, or 30, whatever, things you would most like to do in your life.
I was a mess at the time and I made that list, and I’m working on ticking off the entries (in no particular order), and that’s what putting a whole lot of joy and meaning into my life.
And never, ever forget your right to party!! :slight_smile: :sunglasses:

My purpose in life?

To wake at dawn with a winged heart and give thanks for another day of loving; to rest at the noon hour and meditate love’s ecstasy; to return home at eventide with gratitude; and then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.

• Kahlil Gibran, “The Prophet”

If you put forth an effort to do that, hats off. Seriously.

Just before I closed the door, I thought I was forgetting something. I felt all my pockets to understand that it wasn’t my guitar or some kind of medecine, that would help ease my sorrows.
And all along the stairs, I was coming down slowly because for no reasons I would have turned around and for no reasons I was going forward.
Of course, I was going to tell you how independent you have to be, from the sentiments you have to save the world and its problems. We especially shouldn’t cry, like if love could really stop me from giving my time to poor people.
Here I am, I find myself in a funny disposition. A big ego and a belly, the beer won’t be the solution.
But heros aren’t prepaid, they’re always right, independent. Glory pays for the sacrifices and power eases the torments.
I’m not saying anything new when I say we are nothing with no love. To help the world you need to be loved.

How about when you are born on the wrong side of the track. Is your purpose any different then? Does your purpose change on the count of having more than most will ever dream of? Like us.

She was making the beds in a hotel
Finger prints and garbage cans
Among the ravens, little sparrow
She kept signing desperado

I hadn’t slept she rang the bell
The day had just begun once more
I spent one hour of her life
One hour under Algeria’s sun

Under the course of the planets
There are moments we regret
When I left I knew very well
That something could be done

Children who do nothing in school
Their pockets are filled with glue
Anyways no one helps you
If your name is Said or Mohamed

It’s rippled tin skies forever
The window on the third alley
The screams of the neighbour
And the many sleepless nights

If there is someone around here
Who understand bad French, Muslim
Under the course of the planets
It’d be nice if we begin to worry

Before her eyelids explode
Taking that gray in overdose
When I left I knew very well
That something could be done

You send ten bucks in the mail
You saw the deranging pictures
Ten bucks for one child far away
Them pictures really scared you

Since I came back to Montreal
Her friends have had no news
Too many sparrows and ravens
She may have found a new getho

Me, I think she is still makes beds
More finger prints on garbage cans
On the other side of another hallway
She makes mirrors sing. Mirrors sing

That is one of my absolute most favorite books. Truly beautiful poetry and very inspiring. Anyone who hasn’t read “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran should definitely do so. The original French is even better!

That is one of my absolute most favorite books. Truly beautiful poetry and very inspiring. Anyone who hasn’t read “The Prophet” by Kahlil Gibran should definitely do so. The original French is even better![/quote]

I second that. Great book. Inspired, moving and smart.

What do you mean, “original French”? Gibran wrote it in English.

I read the English version… I’m French, that’s why he said that. My post above is a translation. He guessed it I suppose. And yes, the original is much better in French. In fact, it’s not quite a translation that one. It’s more like a remake. A big part where the rhymes were strong, I couldn’t translate it and keep the rhymes so I skipped it. It’s not easy to translate a poem.

“The great use of life is to spend it for something that outlasts it.” – William James

Wowo, this is a very tough question to answer!!

my purpose in life??
Is to enjoy as much as I can, the beauty of this world, experiencing all the happiness, sadness, pain, (all emotion)…

Oh…another purpose is to have SEX, of couse! :sunglasses: