Purpose in one's life

What about if you are mentally challenged. Slow, retarded, whatever you like to call it. Dependant. Is your purpose the same? What purpose can you have if you don’t understand? Would your purpose simply be someone else’s purpose. If that is so, why would it be different for someone normally developped. Could it be that we have no purpose whithout each other.
If so, our purpose at this point in mankind’s evolution would be to learn how to deal with each other in order to survive. But not only survive but more like co-habit in harmony. I think that unless we can actually stop fighting, our purpose will be the same. My purpose is to learn. Learn to let you be. Learn to love you. Learn to accept differences. Example of how we still fail to do the right thing even when we are conscious that we are wrong are abundant. It’s depressing really. We have to learn to be nice and mean it. Not like I do. I mean really mean it.

Maybe a purpose is something that is always beyond one’s reach. I have thought before how nice it would be if all the people I met left me better for having met me. It keeps me focused on being nice, considerate and well-meaning. It’s a good purpose for me to have personally, as I’m from upstate NY and sarcasm and verbal cruelty are embedded in our dna.

That is my purpose. My goal is to separate my reaction from my response in every situation, so that my response is always good, focused and useful.

[quote=“hatch”]What about if you are mentally challenged. Slow, retarded, whatever you like to call it. Dependant. Is your purpose the same? What purpose can you have if you don’t understand? Would your purpose simply be someone else’s purpose. If that is so, why would it be different for someone normally developped. Could it be that we have no purpose whithout each other.
If so, our purpose at this point in mankind’s evolution would be to learn how to deal with each other in order to survive. But not only survive but more like co-habit in harmony. I think that unless we can actually stop fighting, our purpose will be the same. My purpose is to learn. Learn to let you be. Learn to love you. Learn to accept differences. Example of how we still fail to do the right thing even when we are conscious that we are wrong are abundant. It’s depressing really. We have to learn to be nice and mean it. Not like I do. I mean really mean it.[/quote]
I like your post hatch.
I’ve been reading this thread and I find it interesting. What is the purpose in one’s life?
I believe there is one purpose that is common to everyone of us, regardless our color, background or social class. I think we are all trying to survive. That is a basic purpose we all have.
The begger in the street, the thief, the murderer, the teacher, the student,the doctor, the salesman, the manager, the president or anyone else for that matter, all are trying to survive one way or another.
Every decision you make, every deal you take, every path you choose is only taken in an attempt to survive.
I think a life well lived would be one where you would have helped your fellow men as much as you could, there lies the real reward in life, helping others, being kind and compassionate as Siddhartha and many other religious leaders tried to teach others. But as we look at the world today, we’ve got a long way to go.

[quote]
I think a life well lived would be one where you would have helped your fellow men as much as you could, there lies the real reward in life, helping others, being kind and compassionate as Siddhartha and many other religious leaders tried to teach others. But as we look at the world today, we’ve got a long way to go.[/quote]

I don’t want to interject politics into this, as it is doing so well without it…but, I have to say your last sentences misses a very big occurrence in the present world. That is, that one nation, or a group of nations will try like hell to make life better for a bunch or other people in a nation far away because it is the right thing to do. It is too bad that those “helpful” nations must wait until something bad happens or is most probably going to happen to jump in and help out.

There are a dozen or so regimes in Africa and Asia that SHOULD be overthrown just because they do nothing to improve the lives of their citizens and keep them wallowing in poverty ignorance and war.

I think the way nations help other nations in today’s world is remarkable. And I hope there is more of it in the near future. I too am sick and tired of the death and destruction I see nightly on the news. It would be nice to see kids happily going to school and economies being built up to give people better, safer, more civilized lives.

What I think he meant(igoverni)is that individually we have a long way to go. Not as a nation or as coalition of such. This said though, you do bring valid examples of how we consistantly stray aside the essential. I’m sick and tired of it too and sometimes I even find it difficult but why throw the ball at a whole nation. Personally, I only need to look as far as myself to gather that I have my share of responsibilities in the events that occur not only in my personal life but also internationally. But I don’t care. I don’t give a shit! About you I mean… :wink:

True and only true when it comes to nations that have been devasteted by natural disaster as seen recently in Indonasia and Thailand. In these cases you truly see the human spirit in action.
but when it comes to invading another country and sending military troops in the name of HELP, I strongly disagree that there is any human spirit involved, but as you said, let it not become a political thread rather keeping on the subject we began with.

True in many cases. 9/11 was a great example of people pouring all around the world to help.

Yes, let’s hope so.

Unfortunately, that is how the media make their money, by selling chaos. I am sicken when I go to have lunch or dinner somewhere and being bombarded by bad news at this time of day, killing, raping, robbery, fraud, death etc…

I completlly agree with you and hope for that day too.

Yes, I was more going towards that line of thinking. What we do as individuals, the decision of a goverment doesn’t necessarly reflects those of an individual.

I think we need to look at ourselves as individuals and see, what can I do to help others (my friend, my neighboor etc…)
WorldWide the crime rate is higher, the literacy level is lower, there are more drugs than ever. I don’t see the world going up, rather I see it going slowly but surely down.

You can put the dead leaves back on the tree, or you can give it some water.

fortune cookie say:
life has no meaning, but YOUR LIFE has meaning.
think about it.

fortune cookie also say:
he who slam penis in door of thai restaurant bangkok.

fortune cookie also also say:

He who put stiff in box not necessarily undertaker.

You decide what the purpose of your life will be.

I decide what the purpose of my life will be.

That’s how it should be, IMO… subject of course to the usual limitations on and restrictions against infringing anyone else’s right to decide and do their own thing.

I disagree. This kind of individualism imo shines the light on mankind’s struggle.
In order to get along, two people need to agree on something. If it’s agreeing that we are different and that we decide our own purpose individually, then it just looks like a big gray area because there can be no joined effort to improve. You’re on your own and so am I. Well that sucks, I don’t like it. The world has issues and those issues lie in the hearts of each individuals. We’ll never make a difference on our own and it sure seems like time is running out. Now you are free to choose your own purpose but are you convinced that you really figured it out? Pretty pretentious if you answer yes.
I say no. I’m not sure what my purpose is but it sure is clear that there are enough problems and suffering all around us and that the people are responsible for it. Governments are people. Religions are people. 100 years ago a woman could not refuse sex to her husband. Try telling that to your wife today. Things changed and it’s not the Government or some religious faction that did it, it’s the people. Many people in fact immortalized themselves fighting for women rights(just an example) and they would not like it if we told them they have waisted their lives to make changes. So you take credit for the positive changes as a person who fought for something but you don’t want to be blamed when things go wrong. When 3000 people die because of some fanatics who actually think you deserve it.
Well, comes down to this. Don’t bother with what I’m thinking is right and do what you think is right then. But when I decide you deserve to die and suffer because you don’t think like I do, remember that you killed yourself really by lack of desire for a consensus.

Edit: I forgot. Now I’m going to be told that I need to make a difference in my world. Help the neighbour, the stray dogs, the less fortunate. Just smile, it makes a difference. Of course it does. It helps me sleep at night.

hatch, your post is well thought out. i feel meaningless sometimes. it’s kind of a burnout phase we go thru. but then we catch a second wind, a new interest that pulls us onward and forward. and this happens at all stages of our lives if we’re open to it.

I totally agree with you. Just smiling makes a big difference. A nice “thank you” any sort of nicely intended acknowledgment makes a difference.
But even there, a nice smile, people might think “what a weirdo”, “what the F**K does he want?”
I feel people have forgotten to smile and that’s a shame because a smile can be very therapeutic, let’s hope people regain this ability and what a world we’ll all live in if we could smile freely and spontaneusly.

I live in a house without a roof and no floor
There aren’t even any bees buzzing in the jam
There aren’t even any birds, not even nature
It’s not even a house

I left on my way out a few words on the walls
Of all the corridors that lead to the car parkings
A few words for grown ups only, not even injures
If anyone hears them

Answer me, answer me

Every morning you chase down the old habits
At night and despite a great forest of antennas
You always watch the same channel solitude
Shine full moon, blow warm south wind

The last fairy just keeps looking for her damn wand
My friend the creek is sleeping in a plastic bottle
Seasons stopped growing all the synthetic trees
Only I, still remain

I live in a house without a roof and no floor
There aren’t even any bees buzzing in the jam
There aren’t even any birds, not even nature
It’s not even a house

Humm!! Cabrel?

Yes.

Going round and round in circles
The days go by and it’s simple
It’s about me and my battle

Having just joined Forumosa I’m not sure if it’s useful or otherwise bad etiquette to post on a thread that hasn’t been touched in a while, but I might as well give it a shot.

It so happens that at THRIVE tomorrow afternoon (Sat. Mar 12), we’re planning to have an open discussion on the topic “What is my purpose in life?” If you’re interested in participating, you’re more than welcome to come. There will be food, music, and good company on the side. We’re meeting in the Yong He area at 4:30pm. For more info on Thrive, the location and directions, please send me a private message.

You can post on any thread you like regardles of it’s date. Post away MS. There’ll always be someone interested, that’s the whole purpose.
And welcome to Forumosa! :wink:

If there are hippies or anything hippie-like, I think I’ll pass. My dad was a hippie and I don’t wanna go back there again … ever again … but then again he turned out to be a Republican, vice-president of a bank … and he supports gay rights … anywho …

The purpose of life is simple: watch the movie “City Slickers” and you’ll find out … it’s just “one thing” … :laughing: