Queen Elizabeth II has died aged 96

Australia doesn’t actually. No kings, queens, prime ministers or premiers are hung on school walls. Maybe an Australian flag here and there.
It’s not standard at least, none of the schools I went to did. The monarchy is most obvious when using cash :joy:

Although we all learn about our system of government, including the monarchy and we all (Victorians) go on a school trip to Canberra in our last year of primary school.

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Also Marco mentioned First Nations people. I was watching the news this morning and the current Australian PM is a republican BUT he has also said he won’t attempt a referendum on an Australian republic yet because there are more important issues. He wants constitutional recognition of Australia’s First Nations people first because it’s more important and brings materials benefit to Australia.
He clearly is planning on being re-elected if he wants to make 2 changes to the Australian constitution, even 1 is no easy feat.

The government is better off focusing on things that will improve the lives of people, including the indigenous that were largely treated terribly in the past.

3 Likes

Should have said to varying extents.

It’s definitely a national unity thing.

1 Like

Yeah, probably, for now. As long as there are no scandals and the monarchy/GG continue to have no real impact, I guess can continue to basically ignore it

2 Likes

I’m not a monarchy fanboy buying monarchy merch. I like it for practical reasons. We are what I like to call a crowned republic.

I am willing to change my mind when it is appropriate.

1 Like

I know what to get you for Christmas, though

My very own QEII body pillow? :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

It won’t even cost you anything :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Obviously nobody globally can compete with USA, the home of nozzle sludged food.

“If it ain’t sludged through a nozzle, papa don’t like.” That’s the 8th Amendment? The 9th?

Only British are able to show tradition and symbolism with such pomp and glamor. How coffin was carried into cathedral. And singing songs in church. Simple marvelous

5000 years of Chinese culture and Chinese are far from British high culture. Put it lightly burning plastics at funeral doesn’t impress me

EYE didn’t bring the oohsah into the discussion, mr turnip. Yew did! By the laws of the internet, I’m rubber and yer glue.

Not the best of timing, but the police are allowing assaults right in front of them now it seems.

I’m replying to you since it is connected, you might not know, in Italy we don’t have any portrait of the President of the Republic hung in public schools prominently, maybe one in the principal’s office. But the portrait of the president is hung and shown in all public offices (like at our “embassy” here).

Pictures of Presidents of the council of the Ministers are not shown anywhere, also because we would need to change them every 6 months almost😂

Also, very sad, we have not had any message on our passports asking to be let without any hindrance at so on for a very long time, I think since the EU common style of passports was introduced in the 80s (when we also shifted from a green cover passport to burgundy, the passport was light blue during the kingdom).

I specifically mentioned late colonial Kenya and Malaya for a reason. They are not places only with “crimes [committed] 100-300 years ago”; they are placed with very serious crimes committed while QE II was on the throne.

I understand you may not be familiar with this history. It’s surprising to me, however, that in your full-throated defence of the monarchy you seem not to care. If you change you mind, you might have a look at books such as the Pulitzer Prize winning Imperial Reckoning: The Untold Story of Britain’s Gulag in Kenya.

I fully agree with you that Canadians need to take responsibility for bad sh&t they have done in that nation. What a coincidence, however, that the White Supremacy I outlined in the case of Canada seems to have marked all these British ex-colonies (Canada, Australia, and beyond). Wonder why. I am sure there’s no underlying pattern . . . Wait, there are underlying patterns? What do we do then?

Guy

You certainly brought cuisine standards to the table, Mr Rubber.

And obviously, the British and the Canadians cannot compete on a culinary level with the land where most foods are air blasted into slurry and delivered via a nozzle.

1 Like

Being American, I’m not a fan of a monarchy. I did enjoy the televised Thanksgiving service and felt a connection to my English heritage part. I knew all of the music and scripture. Wasn’t Karen Matheson’s voice wonderful? Gaelic is a beautiful language. Bays of Harris, Psalm 118, Karen Matheson St Giles Cathedral, HRH Queen Elizabeth II, 12th September - YouTube

Mine too. That’s because the upper classes that supported the Empire took most of the money from it.
As Hugh Trevor-Roper replied when asked whether imperialism was profuable, “It was for the imperialists.”
Immigrants began to come into Britain in the 1950s because the Tory government brought them into the country due to a labour shortage (see “Windrush generation”). I suppose they could have increased wages, but the capitalists and industrialists wanted to keep wages down and profits up. When there was a surge in unemployment in the late 60s and 70s, racists advocated “kicking the darkies out”, no matter how many years they’d lived and worked (or been born) there.

1 Like

Wife was just watching what is going on in N Ireland.

She saw Arlene Foster in the crowd and was like that is a man.

My wife won’t believe it is a woman no matter how many times I tell her because I can’t stop laughing.

Poor Arlene.

3 Likes

And are you a man? Do you conform to what a stereotypical image of a man is? Six pack? 180 cm plus/ 75-80kg?

I look like Arlene. Maybe that is why the wife is confused.

3 Likes

“The queen wasn’t for me, it was for rich people…”

I am not rich either. Must be nice to be paid not to work…

(I never got paid to work, lol…