Question on mixed kids

Has anyone noticed that a lot of white-East Asian couples have children that are darker than both parents?

1 Like

My kids are very white. And they’re half aborigine. I’m a mixed kid. I am also very white. But when I was young (under 20), I could tan very easily. My Irish-American dad used to joke how he was proud he produced kids that didn’t get sunburned like he did. Now I’m older and I can get sunburned easily for some weird reason.

3 Likes

My mixed daughter is whiter than I am.
Most people don’t even think she’s mixed

Yes, the kids are often dark with brownish hair of almost the same color, which neither parent has.

1 Like

In summer when they go swimming and stuff, definitely darker.

3 Likes

My kids are both darker than my wife. If they didn’t look exactly like me, I’d be a bit suspicious.

I always put it down to my wife being naturally darker but always staying away from the sun now. She says that is bs and she is naturally light skinned.

Either way, I am happy they don’t burn like me.

7 Likes

Not all, but yes, some do. I’ve known Taiwanese-German mixed kids whose skin color are more similar to famous Egyptian archeologist Zahi Hawass than either their parents. If you watched a lot of Egyptian archeology documentaries you’d probably know what I’m talking about. They grew up in Northern Germany too, so it’s not like they’ve gotten a lot of sun light.

I used to think that happens to all European/Asian mixed children, that they end up looking like they are from the middle of Eurasia. However, turns out I had very little sample size of what mixed children look like, as well as very little understanding of how diverse the peoples living on the Asian Steppes are.

My kids are much darker, especially when I’m in costume.

7 Likes

All of my kids looks so alike, like me. People are shocked when I tell them mother is Taiwanese. And she got one time in hospital, you are the nanny, we need signature of mother.
Although random Chinese girls in parks or Chinese restaurants always look suspicious and I tell yea sure kids speak Mandarin, you can speak to em.
This is another story, 2 year old has more vocabulary of Mandarin than me. To any young guy in Taiwan, learn the language.

3 Likes

One of my kids has ginger hair. Only my pubes are ginger.

3 Likes

My cousin’s mum is half Dutch half Australian and her Dad is half Malaysian half English

My cousin looks 100% Malaysian

maybe they play outside more?

mine got my white/pink skin. goes red in the sun, not brown :frowning: sorry kid, got the short end of the skin stick.

1 Like

I’ve noticed a lot of them are red too, because they burn really easily.

I wonder what’s the science behind how those genes interact.

I guess some people have more prominent genes? My daughter has my exact eyes, but in my wife’s exact eye sockets. Very strange

Richard Dawkins wrote a very accessible book called The Selfish Gene, I highly recommend

1 Like

I wonder, are the eyes of mixed (Caucasian + Taiwanese) kids always brown or are there the occasional blue, green or gray eyes?

I think 9 out of 10 have brown eyes. Very rarely do they end up with hazel, gray eyes, and even more rare that they get blue or green.

2 Likes

I’ve read it. He talks about incomplete dominance, but I’m looking for something more specific.

I dated one who’s eyes were hazel and they’d turn brown based on sunlight.

probably like this [random image from the Internet]

this is supposed to be a Japanese:

:sunglasses: