Quit Smoking Support thread

See, it’s easy really. You don’t ‘give up’ smoking. You stop.

Simple

:banana:

Keep up the non smoking, good for you! I’m since new year and its been tough. Every year , year after year, Ive made the new years resolution and broken it by mid day, why this year is different , who knows.

Except, I know the temptation for “just one” along with “I’ve proved it to myself” has been a quick route to relapse. Keep reminding yourself all the reasons you quit.

I’m thinking about the future I want to have, and being healthy, exercising, eating and cooking good food as well as travel and enjoying the years going by is IN, bad breath, smokers cough, illnesses related to smoking are out.

Thanks to MJB and Namahottie,

You’ve both inspired me to try. 46 hours without a cigarette.

Here’s hoping I have your strength/will power!

Phew.

Whoo=Hooo! Rah, Rah, sis, Boom, Bah! Give me an “N”, Give me an “O”, Give me sssmok–no, wait, DON’T give me a smoke!

Your personal chear leader is a bit tired today.

[quote=“sojourner”]Thanks to MJB and Namahottie,
You’ve both inspired me to try. 46 hours without a cigarette.
Here’s hoping I have your strength/will power!
Phew.[/quote]

:bravo: Keep on keepin’ on!! Once you get to 72 hours, you’ve done major achievement. Make sure celebrate that moment that acknowledges you!!

Here are some questions someone asked me:

1/2 a pack a day. On very stressful day, a pack. I bought my cigarettes at three places.
They ranged from $7.15 to 8.03(250nt to 275nt) a pack.

Since I was 18. I’m 36 at the end of the month. Almost 1/2 my life.

There was no one thing. I have depression and have tried many things to alleviate the pain.
Lately, I started taking the idea that the chemicals in the cigarettes were having an effect on my brain chemistry.
It’s known that nicotine does, but they never talk about years and years of exposure to the arsenic, ammonia, and other chemicals in cigarettes.
2)I saw this really funny commercial which I agree with. It just fueled me closer to my goal.
3)I used to smoke Marlboro Menthols 100’s. And I started noticing that if I lit one, and left it, it wouldn’t keep burning.:astonished: Um :no-no: a) doesn’t make sense and b) had me wondering what flame-retardant shit I was inhaling.

In order, God, Jesus,prayer,nicotine patch (21mg for 7days),and LOTS of sucking on peppermints.

I didn’t give myself an option of what didn’t. I’m very spiritual and place God first in my life.

[quote]What was the first day like?[/quote]Myriad of things. I almost killed, a grandmother, bus driver, and people in a store.:laughing:
To smoke a pack a day, means you’re smoking in a lot of places. So everywhere I went was associated with smoking, waiting at the bus stop, getting off the bus. Walking to/fro the bus stop, to school. After every meal, while working(oh that was hard because I used to think "I need a smoke to think :unamused: Shit, I think better now. :laughing:)before I go to bed, while walking the dog… Man, it wasn’t easy.
But I told myself if I could get to the 1st 72 hours, I’d be alright.

[quote]And the next?[/quote]I’ve quit only for lent(40 days). I’ll answer the “what’s next” on the 41st day because 1) I love smoking. 2)If I set to big a goal, I am setting myself up for a relapse sooner. One step at a time.

[quote]Does it get easier in a straight line or is it fits and starts?[/quote] No, not all together. The physical urges have gone, but the mental ones(especially associated with relaxing) still are there and strong. I just take deep breaths, suck on candy and affirm that I’m in this for the long haul. I will pray a bit, then move my focus onto something else. MBJ says he’s quit 11 months(?) and still gets urges. I’ve only been doing it for 12 days.

I think what also is working now, is that I realize that there is no easy way to go about it. I’ve quit many times before, but always gave in to the stress and other things. Life isn’t going to stop or be nicer because I’ve given up a hard addiction. In fact, at times, it will be slightly harder to test your character. I also was looking for support from family, who isn’t interested in supporting me in anything. Once I stopped looking to them for that and approval, it fell into place – the willpower to improve and actually love myself, because this is really what it’s all about.

If you’re out there quiting, then sign on and post your experience. This thread is for everyone who needs a sounding board, a rant, or just post their accomplishment.

You can do it. :bravo:

edit: Another factor, is that Illinois has gone smoke free as of Jan 1. Can’t smoke in bars/restaurants. Not like it really motivated me but it also was “why not factor”.

Been a week without a puff.

Ups and downs. Keeping positive.

Mental mantras, Allen Carr’s book and some supportive messages from Namahottie and MJB have been the ups.

Downs are more about re-programming myself to not reach for a smoke every time I’m full, stressed, bored, drinking coffee or alcohol.

Added bonus: quitting smoking has also made we want coffee and booze way less.

If you want to hop on the quit smoking train, here’s your thread.

Well for the forth time after been off them for 7 weeks, I after about 4 pints on Saturday night smoked I’d say a pack. The other 3 times was when I was drinking beer also, but did not smoke the following day and was insistent I would not smoke again. Was really pissed off, hungover and guilty yesterday.
Was doing ok until the 3rd pint then starting thinking “DON”T SMOKE, DON”T SMOKE. DON”T SMOKE” which pushed me over it seems. Most days now I do not even think about smoking, still have wacky dreams about the cigarettes, but the beer thing seems to defeat me. Got to stay off the booze
Today I do not feel like a cigarette and have no real cravings, but the smoking episode on Saturday night has distracted me into thinking about cigarettes

TNT have you used the patch? I’m on the patch and works. But I must admit, last week was so rough I fell off the wagon for a moment. :cry: It’s fine cause I got back on and really don’t think about it at all. Funny how that works. In fact, I’ll catch myself, and get really present to the moment that I DON"T want a cigarette and wonder, “wow, how I’d get here?” :laughing:

I also have a new mantra when I have small glimpses of wanting a smoke

“I’m a consistent non-smoker.” It’s working. :smiley:

bravo sojourner. :bravo: :bravo:

If it can strengthen your will … I stopped smoking 26 years ago and never looked back … I smoked at least 25 cigarettes daily and about 50 a day Saturday and Sunday … than one day I took up scuba diving and during training in the swimming pool I was the only one that could hold its breath for almost 10 seconds … at that point I knew I had to do something … I threw away my cigarettes and never bought new … OK, I did stop 4 year before that, for almost 6 months … I started smoking again in the hospital where I was admitted after a motorcycle accident with a broken foot … out of boredom I started smoking again … ironic
But now, I’m smoke free for 26 years …

If you fall of the wagon, make sure to inhale deeply and taste just how disgusting those things are. You can then remind yourself that smoking is pointless.

Never made me cool
Never made women want me
Never made me rich or famous
Never made me friends
Never gave me self-confidence

Smoking never ever did anything good.

L:)

[quote=“Limey”]

Smoking never ever did anything good.

L:)[/quote]

well it did always go well with a drink…Alas, I’m feigning for one as I type. Off to do something to distract myself. :smiley:

No nicotine patches. Tried those once and found out after couple of days, that these really did not help nor hinder me. I forgot to put the patch on after the second day and did not feel different, so on the forth fifth up until the 35th day did not bother either. But after the 35th went back smoking

How’s it going EX-smokers?

Everyday I listen to the hacking smokers cough of the thirty-something woman who lives below us and am grateful that I stopped when I did. Why would you want to inflict this pain on yourself?

(Just a little incentive for your weekend)

L.

[quote=“Limey”]How’s it going EX-smokers?

Everyday I listen to the hacking smokers cough of the thirty-something woman who lives below us and am grateful that I stopped when I did. Why would you want to inflict this pain on yourself?

L.[/quote]

thanks for checking in. I realized that if I miss a day on my patch, it’s gonna be hellish. So I have my patch, and I just printed out the pdf of Alan Carr’s book that sourjourn sent me. I’ve heard it does the trick. Should have picked up when Roach told me about it.

I walked into the post office in off hours last Sunday, to check the box. There was only one other person in there. She was wearing a waitress outfit and she smelled like a very filthy ash tray!! I don’t know if people still smoke in the place she works, or if it’s just her. AR passed a law last year that no one is to smoke in resturants of any kind, though, so I’m betting it’s just her.

My eyes teared up and my throat burned just walking past her. If she came to my table that way I could not eat! I will absolutly not be going to her work place any time soon.

So, anyway, I thought of you guys trying to quit. Please, you can do it! Don’t give up! I don’t want you to be like her.

[quote=“Limey”]How’s it going EX-smokers?

L.[/quote]

I just made it past three weeks and am still keeping with it.

Yesterday, for some reason I was craving “just one” a few times throughout the day. I’m stuck inside with the snow so not having enough to occupy myself with was part of that.

That Allen Carr book really helped Nama, I’m glad you’re using it too.

I’m looking forward to a day when I don’t think about it. It’s gone from being my every second thought on the first few days, to something I think about regularly but much less.

How’s everyone else doing?

One week shy of a year…No problem. :slight_smile:

OMG congrats!!!
:bravo: :bravo: :bravo: :notworthy: :notworthy:

I quit for two years. I have to say though–the first puff after that break reminded me of the first time I had sex. An awesome buzz indeed.

I quit for two years. I have to say though–the first puff after that break reminded me of the first time I had sex. An awesome buzz indeed.[/quote]

I’m sure it did…But, were you able to just take that one drag and walk away? Or are you smoking again?

There is no way in hell I’d go through that first month of quitting again, or the late night hacking, the wheezy lungs, the awful smelling hands etc…

What would make someone take smoking up again after quitting for such a long time? Nearly everyone I know has been through this, and they are the ones that scare me the most.