Quote of the day

“They gave me a list and I was instructed to call on NBC.”

–Joe Biden

– Salman Rushdie

3 Likes

“Plucky* counts the nuns, and then multiplies them by 100.”

–JFK, during the campaign, in response to questions from the press about his campaign’s estimates of crowd sizes.

*Pierre Salinger

“In the end, more than freedom, they wanted security. They wanted a comfortable life, and they lost it all–security, comfort, and freedom. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for most was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free and was never free again.”

–Edward Gibbon

3 Likes

Listening to a podcast today, I heard this gem:

"Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. "

• Proverbs 18:2
2 Likes

2 Likes

Not a quote as such, but … well, that reminds me of this:

3 Likes

Your best teacher is your last mistake.

3 Likes

3 Likes

3 Likes

We must picture hell as a state where everyone is perpetually concerned about his own dignity and advancement, where everyone has a grievance, and where everyone lives with the deadly serious passions of envy, self-importance, and resentment.

—C.S. Lewis

3 Likes

wow, that is prescient
-@TT

1 Like

Unfortunately science is only splendid when it is science. When science becomes religion it becomes superstition.

–G. K. Chesterton

2 Likes

One of the reasons people don’t bother to stop and think is that symbolism lets them feel good about themselves. They can go through life leaving havoc in their wake, while enjoying a warm glow of self-approval.

–Thomas Sowell

2 Likes

If you will not have rules, you will have rulers.

–G. K. Chesterton

1 Like

3 Likes

3 Likes

That’s envy, a different deadly sin :smirk:

1 Like

I have this shortcut suspicion that if you’re not allowed to say something (by being silenced or ostracized by the reigning conventional orthodoxy) that not only should it be said but also that it’s probably simply true.

–Peter Thiel