Quote of the day

Shake it! don’t break it!
It took your momma nine months to make it
—Brother Marquis

1 Like

I couldn’t find a clear attribution either. Apparently something similar was said by Hitler, but I have no idea when or where.

My guess is that it was an idea that was evolved between the two of them, and perhaps not spelled out in a single quote, but in fragments that were pieced together into something highfalutin’ by other writers.

I suppose it’s doubly hard to search for because the original - if there was one - would obviously have been in German.

Iirc it was supposedly in his book and in a totally different context from how it’s usually understood in the various versions attributed to Goebbels – he was accusing the Brits of doing it wrt WWI, or something. (I just never got around to reading the damn thing.)

3 Likes

1 Like

All scientific work is incomplete. All scientific work is liable to be upset or modified by advancing knowledge. That does not confer upon us a freedom to ignore the knowledge we already have, or to postpone the action that it appears to demand at a given time.

1 Like

Some people say funny things, but I say things funny.

2 Likes

About this one in FPP: it wasn’t Voltaire.

It was actually… a Neo-Nazi.

3 Likes

2 Likes

“If someone tells me that I’ve hurt their feelings, I say, ‘I’m still waiting to hear what your point is.’ In this country I’ve been told, ‘That’s offensive,’ as if those two words constitute an argument or a comment. Not to me they don’t.”

–Christopher Hitchens

4 Likes

‘Cis’ is ideological language, signifying belief in the unfalsifiable concept of gender identity. You have a perfect right to believe in unprovable essences that may or may not match the sexed body, but the rest of us have a right to disagree, and to refuse to adopt your jargon.

–J.K. Rowling

3 Likes

If you don’t know jewelry, know the jeweler.

1 Like

In a way, time itself is the poison. In time all things come to an end and new are born, to be devoured in their turn. Do not identify yourself with time. Do not ask anxiously: what next, what next? Step out of time and see it devour the world.

–Nisargadatta Maharaj

1 Like

If you kill a cockroach you are a hero, if you kill a butterfly you are bad. Morality has aesthetic standards.

—Nietzsche

And if you kill a cow…

Steaks!

2 Likes

Humans can be made into steaks too, you know… :drooling_face:

We all make misteaks

But some mistakes are tastier than others! :yum:

–attributed to Abbie Hoffman but disputed

2 Likes

5 Likes